PDA

View Full Version : what to say on the mic when doing a karaoke party?

grantow
28-06-2007, 11:22 AM
I have a karaoke party coming up in a few days and im fine with using the equipment as I have used it all before. However last time I had a host which did all the talking.

So im wondering if anyone has any great put down line, or just generally crack over the mic when doing a karoake.

Many Thanks.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Perhaps you might want to introduce yourself in the newbies section?

You need to communicate with your audience.

If you've not used the mic before, I wouldn't be asking about put down lines.

If you are hosting a karaoke, you really should know how and when to use the mic.

DJ Frankie
28-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Welcome along.

On the odd occasion I do Karaoke I always take my disco music with me to play in between singers.
Put some toe tappers or the old favourite cheesy music.
I always get the crowd to clap the singers whether they are good or bad as it encourages other singers to get up on the stage.
Remember not every punter wants to hear the host rambling on the mic all the time, they are probably looking through the music list and chatting so most likely aint taking any notice anyway.

Unless you are a born comedian or are very confident on the mic dont try and make gags or put people down unless you know they can take it and dont get offended.

When I was a redcoat I was always told "If you dont have anything to say, dont say anything at all"

All you need to do is annouce the next singer, where they can get the request slips & pens from.
Try and give them a short brief as to how your request slips should be filled in ie. Name/Group, song title and reference number this way its easier for you.

It also pays to annouce any deals that are taking place behind the bar this way you keep the owners happy.

Happy owners = More bookings ---- wink wink

Dragonfly
28-06-2007, 01:29 PM
"would anyone like to sing?" no just kidding imo its like any mic work you do you should be yourself .... if I told you what to say then chances are it may not be what you would naturally say thus , you may come across a bit cheesy or fake to the audience ,

mic technique to my mind of any kind is quite difficult to pin down as you have to customize it to your own style , i spent about 2 years hardly saying anything at all , then about 6 months with loads of people telling me to shut up and just play the song ...... one of the nicest things that people say to me now it that i sound really natural and comfortable on the mic.

really sorry that this is not a productive post for you really but i feel that what you say is down to who you are what you are doing and to some extent where you are.

Jays karaoke
29-06-2007, 06:28 AM
Dragonfly it right just be your self. Just introduce it as you would a normal disco but as well as the usual "good evening ladies and gentlemen and welcome to bills 40th birthday if you have any requests blah di blah you will add something like "also tonight ladies and gentlemen i have karaoke too so if you would like to sing it's simple, look through the book,fill in a slip and give it to myself and i will have you singing as soon a i can".
Like dragonfly says though you need to just find your own way otherwise it will sound fake, have the normal banter that you would at a disco and if someone is really bad then don't be afraid to have a little joke about it, after all that's what a karaoke is about, having a laugh.

sleah
29-06-2007, 10:01 AM
The best thing you'll ever say at a karaoke night is "Thank you and goodnight" that's when the torture is over:D

That's really unhelpful isn't it? I hate karaoke:mad:

DK Karaoke
29-06-2007, 03:11 PM
The best thing you'll ever say at a karaoke night is "Thank you and goodnight" that's when the torture is over:D

That's really unhelpful isn't it? I hate karaoke:mad:

Nice one there lol, lol,

It can be like that sometimes, but I have also know disco's to be like that also.

Have any of you ever nearly packed up a gig and left before the end. I nearly did that once. Had to grit my teeth real hard and continue, thought never again. Funny thing was the client asked me to do two more parties, and I turned down both of them. Not worth it.
M.