PDA

View Full Version : Hooray! Two more Bose 802`s

Skins
12-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Had to share this with someone as the missus just doesnt seem interested!

Came across 2 empty Bose 802 cabs a while back and did nothing with them, they didnt cost anything.:cool:

They were empty, no drivers, no wiring, no crossovers, just dust....

So, thought what the heck - I`ll rebuild em. So after sourcing parts and installing new drivers that were spares Ive finally cracked it.

Ive managed to re-wire the whole cabs, soldered each and every connection, installed the internal crossover,renewed the inputs and finally got them tested this evening and have to say I`m well chuffed!

Total re-build was around £160, which is pretty good when you consider these sell for around £400 a pair,

The cost wasnt really the issue, I suppose its the satisfaction of doing a job yourself and it turning out positive and only taking around 4 hours to do (would have been quicker had "her indoors" keep interupting!:bang:

I`m a happy man, !:D

Shaun

Penfold42
13-07-2007, 12:38 AM
Well done....saved a bit then....:)

Skins
13-07-2007, 05:54 PM
I`m always one for spotting a bargain!

Like I said, not worried about the costs, just got alot of satisfaction from re-building em.

Used them again for a conference this arvo and they sounded fab!

If anyone wants any help or advice, just give me a hollar!

Shaun

TONYTIGER
16-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Xover? What About The Light Bulb Or Have They Changed. Tonytiger

Cj_The_Dj
16-07-2007, 07:56 PM
xover means cross over

TONYTIGER
17-07-2007, 06:32 AM
xover means cross over

i know what it means but bose 802 never used to have a x over TONYTIGER

Jiggles
17-07-2007, 05:30 PM
you can get new ones that have a proper Xover on them like this:

to wire the speakers up is simple ohms law

so for 8 x1 ohms in series = 8 ohms load for your amp

see OLD 1970s 1980s design:-

1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1=8ohms
+0-0----0-0----0-0---X-0-ve <<< actual speaker wiring
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

if one speaker or wire or joint here failed you would enjoy a silent night!! ( see x at no7)

NEW:-
for using 4 ohms drivers
fact
please note 4/8/16 ohm drivers are the industry standard and the old valve amp used to have a switch to set to this choice 4/8/16 ohms
on older and other models/ranges bose do & have used many 4 or 8 ohm drivers.

|+0--0-| |-0--X- |
+-| A |----| B |--- -ve
|+0--X-| | -0--0- |

A/ 4+4/4+4 = 4 ohms
B/ 4+4/4+4 = 4 ohms

A4+B4 =8 ohms

if one or more speakers, wires or connections failed here you would get through the evening hopefully nobody the wiser

these are example pictures above only

Skins
17-07-2007, 10:14 PM
yup,what that man said!:)

I think the old lightbulb setup was is much older 802 cabs, I remember them from way back and the inside would "glow" if driven too hard......

Havnt seem them for yonks mind you........

Shaun

TONYTIGER
25-07-2007, 08:14 PM
yup,what that man said!:)

I think the old lightbulb setup was is much older 802 cabs, I remember them from way back and the inside would "glow" if driven too hard......

Havnt seem them for yonks mind you........

Shaun

God i must be getting old

Tony Scott
25-07-2007, 09:12 PM
God i must be getting old

Me too Tony, thought the bulb idea was genius.

I had some Bose 101's, had a single 802 transducer in them (bit like the JBL control 1's), these had the bulb in and I once used them as HF tops!!!!:eek:
A friend of mine wrecked his compression drivers by putting Bass through them.
I had the 101's as my Van sound system, whipped them out of the van & wired them up to his HF amp and away we went, they were really pushed but did the job............bet the bulbs were glowing that night! :D

Not knocking it but the thing I've noticed when DJing on Bose stuff is that it seems a bit delicate, it doesn't like being pushed too far, feels like walking on egg shells so to speak.
Nice sound when it's kept within it's capabilities though. :)

Skins
25-07-2007, 11:02 PM
I know what you mean., though Ive been to many a venue & event where 802`s have been used and they sound awful.!!

why?

Because most of the time people just dont use the bose controller, or unmatched amps.

We have a wine bar in swindon, just had a refit at a cost of 100k. Bose 802`s & 402`s thoughout and it sounds terrible............Bars are fitted with new 101`s......

Had a ganders behind the DJ Console one night whilst a mate was DJ`ing and would you adam and eve it ---- NO bose controller..........

Ive had a word to the landlord and he agreed it sounded pants, "but so does all music nowadays"....:eek:
:bang:

what can ya do eh?!

Shaun

TONYTIGER
26-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Talking of bulbs in speakers dont Peavey have them in some of there cabs?
TONYTIGER