PDA

View Full Version : Best 'home' karaoke equipment?

MikeG
24-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Daughter just returning from Japan after having studied there for a year and due her 21st. She (and we) enjoyed the Japanaese karaoke style and wondered about getting her a set-up for her birthday to share with others in her flat. Don't think I can replicate the Japanese kit but looked at RSQ P70, VOCOPRO DVX880 and GIG MAN, and the digiLYF MDVD - then I found this forum and realised that many contributors are not particularly about the quality or user-friendliness of these machines.

I also wonder if it's worth getting DVD karaoke as the videos are usually pretty pathetic.

Is it better to get separates, even for home use as they may have greater flexibility and usefulness (i.e. use them as generic loud speakers/amp)?

What about format - seems like multiplex is good gicne that half the tracks I see on the karaoke CDs are not exactly widely known (or maybe I'm getting old)

She also has a new PC (well what else do you buy in Japan) so maybe it might be better to look at PC solutions (but then would need mixer/amp/mics)

Any advice greatly received - even to the extent of where to get the best CDs - is this NEO thing a good idea? sounds like you can't get multiplex and what about the quality of the backing - are there any brands where the backing track actually sounds like the original?

budget is about £250
Thanks indeed

colinm345
24-07-2007, 11:44 AM
From what I know I would keep away from Vocopro and go for this

Black RSQ NEO E500 with 1060 Song Disc

Brand New Mk 4 Black RSQ NEO E500 Silver CD's/CD+G/Neo+G DVD/SVCD/VCD/CDR/CDRW/JPEG PICTURE DISC DVD 5/ DVD+R 9 Dual Layer & Super CDG.

With Free 1000+ Songs For a limited time All this for Just £169

The Best RSQ Player Ever Built (Stunning Quality)

The RSQ E500 Mk 4 made all other karaoke players obsolete overnight - The RSQ NEO E500 Multiformat Player DVD/CD+G karaoke packed with lots great features designed for DJ/KJ or serious singers at home! RSQ are the world brand leader when it comes to karaoke and this machine also replaces the Industry Standard RSQ/JVC SV222

http://www.emkaraoke.co.uk/

DK Karaoke
24-07-2007, 01:47 PM
From what I know I would keep away from Vocopro

Sorry Colinm, but I totally disagree with you on this one. To me the Vocopro DVX888 is the best.

The Best RSQ Player Ever Built (Stunning Quality)

The RSQ E500 Mk 4 made all other karaoke players obsolete overnight - The RSQ NEO E500 Multiformat Player DVD/CD+G karaoke packed with lots great features designed for DJ/KJ or serious singers at home!

Home this is operative word, its only good for home use, its too slow and freezes to be used professionally while doing a gig

RSQ are the world brand leader when it comes to karaoke and this machine also replaces the Industry Standard RSQ/JVC SV222

Totally disagree, its not the world standard, and it certainly does not replace the JVC, never will.

As I said Colinm, sorry to disagree with you on this one, but I guess you must have been one of the few hundred people who have bought this machine to have got one that actually does the job.

Penfold42
24-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Daughter just returning from Japan after having studied there for a year and due her 21st. She (and we) enjoyed the Japanaese karaoke style and wondered about getting her a set-up for her birthday to share with others in her flat. Don't think I can replicate the Japanese kit but looked at RSQ P70, VOCOPRO DVX880 and GIG MAN, and the digiLYF MDVD - then I found this forum and realised that many contributors are not particularly about the quality or user-friendliness of these machines.

I also wonder if it's worth getting DVD karaoke as the videos are usually pretty pathetic.

Is it better to get separates, even for home use as they may have greater flexibility and usefulness (i.e. use them as generic loud speakers/amp)?

What about format - seems like multiplex is good gicne that half the tracks I see on the karaoke CDs are not exactly widely known (or maybe I'm getting old)

She also has a new PC (well what else do you buy in Japan) so maybe it might be better to look at PC solutions (but then would need mixer/amp/mics)

Any advice greatly received - even to the extent of where to get the best CDs - is this NEO thing a good idea? sounds like you can't get multiplex and what about the quality of the backing - are there any brands where the backing track actually sounds like the original?

budget is about £250
Thanks indeed

Hello Mike and welcome to the forum....why not introduce yourself on the newbie section.....we don't bite!!:)
Sayonara!!:D

MikeG
24-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks guys - I take it both of those recommended so far require external amp and speakers? any recommendations there? for an all-in-one is the RSQ P70 any use?

DK Karaoke
24-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Thanks guys - I take it both of those recommended so far require external amp and speakers? any recommendations there? for an all-in-one is the RSQ P70 any use?

If you want a really handy piece of kit for home use, then go for the Carlsbro Pro traveller. Its ideal for home use, and gives out 150watts power, comes with mixer, amp, microphones and speakers, all compacted into a neat travelling hard case.

You just have to hook it into the player of your choice and your away.

Attached is a picture of the Carlsbro

colinm345
24-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Sorry Colinm, but I totally disagree with you on this one. To me the Vocopro DVX888 is the best.

Home this is operative word, its only good for home use, its too slow and freezes to be used professionally while doing a gig

Totally disagree, its not the world standard, and it certainly does not replace the JVC, never will.

As I said Colinm, sorry to disagree with you on this one, but I guess you must have been one of the few hundred people who have bought this machine to have got one that actually does the job.
:D :D :D :D No worries I just knew you would jump in on this ,as far as I know the there has been troubles with the Vocopro and so I am led to believe very little service when things go wrong
Most of the info in my post was copied and pasted to give and idea of things
My RSQ and to my mind easily replaces my JVC ,which I had for some years,works ok and does not freeze and is fast ,but as you say perhaps I am one of the lucky few hundred people:)

colinm345
24-07-2007, 05:37 PM
RSQ P70 sounds fine to me,now thats one I had not thought of so why not contact EM karaoke and have a chat with them as I believe they are now agents for VOCOPRO as well then you will be able to make a good comparison

http://www.emkaraoke.co.uk/

MikeG
24-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Thanks for all your help - whilst the Carlsbro looks good it's around £290 without a karaoke or microphones so it's a bit over budget - I'll try to get to EMKaraoke tomorrow and see what's what!

colinm345
24-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Give them my regards:)

PepperEvans
21-10-2009, 05:07 AM
I only trust the karaoke services of DJ Ran, with live performance from the DJ himself. Your budget will be enough to foot the bill. Hope your daughter has fun:)

Penfold42
31-10-2009, 07:51 PM
I only trust the karaoke services of DJ Ran, with live performance from the DJ himself. Your budget will be enough to foot the bill. Hope your daughter has fun:)

Hello - Why not say hello in the nebie section. :)

Excalibur
03-11-2009, 06:57 AM

Somebody must be doing exceedingly cheap fares from USA to South Yorkshire, if £250 covers the gig! :eek: :eek: Not sure I'd travel to South Yorkshire for that. :D :D :D

Charlie Brown
03-11-2009, 07:02 AM
For £250 you could get a decent DJ for the night! ;)

Excalibur
03-11-2009, 07:16 AM
For £250 you could get a decent DJ for the night! ;)

Are you implying I'm not? :boxer2:

The OP was looking for a relaxed informal self drive gig at a domestic home I suspect. Hence his questions. Personally, I'd hire one for the night, probably saving enough for a couple of pints.

Charlie Brown
03-11-2009, 07:25 AM
I agree.

DazzyD
04-11-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm not sure why anyone would put down VocoPro. I've never had any problems with my VP kit before (except that my VP video/CD+G processor unit seems to build up a static charge on it's flight case - but nothing serious!).

For playing home CD+Gs, I got a really cheap multi-format DVD player from Tesco (or Sainbury's - can't quite remember) and that was brilliant for playing the discs. I've also got one branded "Otello" (or something like that - after my breakup a lot of my gear is still at the ex's house so I can't go and check right now!). Both units cost under £20 and can be hooked up to a tv and a decent hifi. I don't use the supplied mics (they are rubbish - like the RoadStar ones) but I've got a unit plugged in to a mini mixer with onboard reverb and then in to the hi-fi (a Sony separates system). It's ideal for home karaoke and simply utilises entertainment equipment that you'd already have in the home.

discomobiledj
04-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Send them down to the Karaoke Rooms in Leicester Square in London.

welby
23-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Anyone know where I can get a Vocopro DVX888u - Left it a bit late but I need it for tommorow guranteed (xmas eve) - wife has invited 20 people round for karaoke party and I cant be arsed to get out all my mixers, speakers etc.