PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Quiz's

DK Karaoke
01-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Hi all,

Was thinking about offering a Quiz with perhaps 'Open the Box' to go with a karaoke night, but I haven't got a clue about the 'INS' and 'OUTs'.

Can you advice on things like:

1. Do you charge a set fee, and if so roughly what?
2. Who puts up the prize money?
3. What about sales of tickets for quiz, or Open the box, who gets what portion?
4. Is there a website where you can buy quiz sheets, and bingo tickets etc., even the Box itself, for open the box.
5. Anything else involved?

As I said I haven't got a clue, but local KJ's seem to offer this option but didn't want to ask the 'personal' questions about financials etc.

Hope you can help.

Much appreciated. M

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Have a look here for bits of advice. http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=8052

rob1963
01-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Have a look here for bits of advice. http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=8052

Not only bits of advice...

...but also bits of arguing between me & Darren!

:rolleyes:

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Not only bits of advice...

...but also bits of arguing between me & Darren!

:rolleyes:

Debating dear boy.

rob1963
01-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Debating dear boy.

Ahhhhh yes...debating.

Sounds so much better!

:D

Corabar Steve
01-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Was there a lot of it? http://planetsmilies.net/vicious-smiley-1864.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

DK Karaoke
01-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the tips.

Do you need a license to run a quiz/open the box/bingo or anything else?

I heard that without a liscense you cant allow the jackpot to go over £300.00, hence why with open the box, you have to freeze the box, and start a new one.:confused:

rob1963
01-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Was there a lot of it? http://planetsmilies.net/vicious-smiley-1864.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

Definately NOT, Steve! :whistle:

Thanks for the tips.

Do you need a license to run a quiz/open the box/bingo or anything else?

I heard that without a liscense you cant allow the jackpot to go over £300.00, hence why with open the box, you have to freeze the box, and start a new one.:confused:

I've never heard anything about a licence being required for the jackpot to go over £300. I once had a jackpot of about £500. Where did you hear this?

DJWayne
02-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Hi all,

Was thinking about offering a Quiz with perhaps 'Open the Box' to go with a karaoke night, but I haven't got a clue about the 'INS' and 'OUTs'.

Can you advice on things like:

1. Do you charge a set fee, and if so roughly what?
2. Who puts up the prize money?
3. What about sales of tickets for quiz, or Open the box, who gets what portion?
4. Is there a website where you can buy quiz sheets, and bingo tickets etc., even the Box itself, for open the box.
5. Anything else involved?

As I said I haven't got a clue, but local KJ's seem to offer this option but didn't want to ask the 'personal' questions about financials etc.

Hope you can help.

Much appreciated. M

A couple of answers for you based on my own experience / opinion

1. Always has to be a set fee as if it is a quiet night and you work on a percentage basis then you could be working for nothing or worse losing money.Also the amount of work involved is not small so price has to be right ;)

2. Prize money or prizes are always supplied by the venue

3. the venue gets all ticket sales money

4. loads of websites have quiz stuff on them but i have always found designing your own quiz sheets and writing your own questions better as you can make your quiz diifferent to the mass produce quizes like redtooth or quizgo.

5. loads of other stuff involved a quiz i did recently took 2 hours which is average start at 9 finish at 11 has 8 different rounds iin different formats. people expect more from quizes these days.there is a lot of prep before the booking preparing the quiz printing the sheete getting questions making picture rounds , making music rounds etc.add in the selling of tickets etc and a quiz is a stand alone night and has to be worth a decent fee.

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-08-2007, 01:10 PM
there is a lot of prep before the booking preparing the quiz printing the sheete getting questions making picture rounds , making music rounds etc.add in the selling of tickets etc and a quiz is a stand alone night and has to be worth a decent fee.

I'm glad someone else does things this way too and realises how much prep and effort goes into this!

rob1963
02-08-2007, 01:18 PM
I'm glad someone else does things this way too and realises how much prep and effort goes into this!

It's not just Wayne who realises how much prep & effort goes into a quiz night...

...about 15 years ago, I ran a weekly pub quiz which I prepared myself.

On the night It took about 2 hours to run, but the preperation took me between 4 and 5 hours...including up to 30 minutes sitting through a film just to find a 30 second clip to use!

DK Karaoke
02-08-2007, 02:00 PM
A couple of answers for you based on my own experience / opinion

1. Always has to be a set fee as if it is a quiet night and you work on a percentage basis then you could be working for nothing or worse losing money.Also the amount of work involved is not small so price has to be right ;)

So what sort of fee are you talking about and is this fee on top of your fee for the karaoke session as well. Around our way there is the pub with a quiz/open the box and karaoke all in the same night.

2. Prize money or prizes are always supplied by the venue

How does it work with open the box, which grows if it does not go on the 1st night, sometimes it lasts for weeks. With our local, if it grows above £300 a new box is started and the first is frozen.

Apart from all the work, do you think its profitable.

DK Karaoke
02-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Definately NOT, Steve! :whistle:

I've never heard anything about a licence being required for the jackpot to go over £300. I once had a jackpot of about £500. Where did you hear this?

Something to do with the gaming laws or something:confused:

Also doesn't the pub landlord need to have a gaming license. As I said I dont know about this stuff, but need to make sure is all kosha.

DJWayne
02-08-2007, 02:15 PM
So what sort of fee are you talking about and is this fee on top of your fee for the karaoke session as well. Around our way there is the pub with a quiz/open the box and karaoke all in the same night.

If you are doing a proper quiz it is a night all of its own for example i did a quiz on tuesday night got there at 7.30 pm set up by 8pm played a little background music and started advertising thhe quiz over the mic and collecting money / issuing annswer sheets and pens to the teams. 8.45 did a last call for any teams wishing to play and collected more money and have out more sheets. 8.55pm load the first 2 rounds of the quiz into the laptop (first 2 rounds are music based). 9pm start the quiz and do the first 4 rounds finishing them at about 10pm. Switch papers around with the teams mark the first 4 rounds and get scores in so far. 10.15pm start the second half do the next 3 rounds. 10.45 swap papers and mark the remaining rounds. 10.55 get scores in and announce the winner. 11pm closing time. How you would fit karaoke into that is a bit of a puzzle unless you did it 7-8 which would be pointless in my opinion.

How does it work with open the box, which grows if it does not go on the 1st night, sometimes it lasts for weeks. With our local, if it grows above £300 a new box is started and the first is frozen.

obviously the venue provides the initial prize and if it grows the extra is provided from the money made from the quiz each week.if ticket sales on the quiz / open thee box are for argument sake £25 and the open the box goes up by £10 a week the landlord is still pocketing £15 from it.

Apart from all the work, do you think its profitable.

If you qoute it for a reasonable price then yes i only do quizes on quiet nights that i dont normally work so i can do them a little cheaper than i would do a disco or a karaoke but not a lot cheaper

DK Karaoke
02-08-2007, 02:26 PM
obviously the venue provides the initial prize and if it grows the extra is provided from the money made from the quiz each week.if ticket sales on the quiz / open thee box are for argument sake £25 and the open the box goes up by £10 a week the landlord is still pocketing £15 from it.

Our local seems to go up in 'hundreds' each week, so all the ticket sales must be going into the prize. Also the KJ seems to be in control of the prizes and manages the money. the landlord doesnt seem to be involved at all. It does bring in a lot of people though, always packed to the brim.

If you qoute it for a reasonable price then yes i only do quizes on quiet nights that i dont normally work so i can do them a little cheaper than i would do a disco or a karaoke but not a lot cheaper

So from your fee, this covers the preparation, quiz sheets, content, etc. etc.

Do you ask for a % of the sales, as it seems looking at some of the replies this happens

DJWayne
02-08-2007, 02:30 PM
No i dont charge a percentage of the sales just a set fee the quiz you describe sounds unusual in my experience as most quizes in this area anyway are relatively small. What you would make out of it would be pointless. Charging £1 a person to enter the quiz if you had 50 people playing you still have to deduct the prize from the money taken (if its enough) then take a percentage of what remains , not worth it in my opinion but others may disagree, :)

DK Karaoke
02-08-2007, 02:46 PM
No i dont charge a percentage of the sales just a set fee the quiz you describe sounds unusual in my experience as most quizes in this area anyway are relatively small. What you would make out of it would be pointless. Charging £1 a person to enter the quiz if you had 50 people playing you still have to deduct the prize from the money taken (if its enough) then take a percentage of what remains , not worth it in my opinion but others may disagree, :)

Cheers, will look into it further. As you say its probably ok for a mid week affair when all is quite

DJWayne
02-08-2007, 02:56 PM
if you want to get hold of me on MSN (address in profile) i can give you some ideas rather than bore the pants off everyone else :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-08-2007, 03:47 PM
if you want to get hold of me on MSN (address in profile) i can give you some ideas rather than bore the pants off everyone else :)

Not boring everyone at all.

That's what this forum is about - sharing ideas. :)

Have a disco
03-08-2007, 05:41 PM
we use to charge £75 for a quiz night the landlord had to find the £25 top prize usually £15 was booze the rest went into a pick the box, to try there
luck further that cost punters £1 per ticket they also use to have to provide the forfiets should there be any in a round for the lowest scoring team.

Many a laugh was had by this everything embarassing came up over the years from beer dregg drinking, or nasty tasting snacks to swapping items of clothing with another team member even karaoke pop up occasionally as a punishment