PDA

View Full Version : Image scan?

Ricesnaps
26-09-2007, 08:43 PM
One of my Christmas clients has asked if I can source something to project there company logo OUTSIDE the venue. I know you can get imagescans (or something similar) and get a custom gobo, but are these suitable for outdoor use? If so, what are they actually called and if not, what else could I use?

This will obviously be a hire in job.

djsteve10
26-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Martin PR1 is your best bet with a custom gobo,

They are very bright, i have had one out on the road with me and they work a treat, they work outside well aswell just keep to the usual safety regulations like keep them out of water ect ect lol!!

They are abit pricey but worth every penny

groovy-nights
26-09-2007, 09:15 PM
I would give a hire company a ring tell them what you want to do and see what they come up with.I would say something like a mac 250 using a mac dome will do the job for you.

Vectis
26-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Well, if they have the budget... (http://www.big-tv.co.uk/screenHire.html) :D

Sam
26-09-2007, 09:36 PM
mac 2ks with a dome. We are hiring them in amongst a lot of other macs and units such as dry ice machines... for a building opening.. in which the mariens and abseiling from a helicopter.

see http://www.stage-electrics.co.uk/eweb/index.htm - we work with them a lot for lighting and set stuff.

Or the cheaper alternative is to get a 50w projector from terralec :-)

DMX Will
26-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Or the cheaper alternative is to get a 50w projector from terralec :-)

Loving the compairson of a mac there... lol

Sam
26-09-2007, 10:18 PM
lol.. two ends of the spectrum and all...

Mighty Quinn
27-09-2007, 10:48 AM
One of my Christmas clients has asked if I can source something to project there company logo OUTSIDE the venue. I know you can get imagescans (or something similar) and get a custom gobo, but are these suitable for outdoor use? If so, what are they actually called and if not, what else could I use?

This will obviously be a hire in job.

Hi Matt,

If you remember Woody picked up some literature from a company that do company gobo designs

Ricesnaps
27-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Hi Matt,

If you remember Woody picked up some literature from a company that do company gobo designs

Yes, I haven't forgotten.....

Larry B Entertainment
27-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Well, if they have the budget... (http://www.big-tv.co.uk/screenHire.html) :D

Lol....dont see many screens that size down at curry's. Wonder how much one that size would cost.

Cj_The_Dj
27-09-2007, 07:40 PM
i have seen out door movin head lights you can put ur own gobo on,

also cant u use someting like a over head projecter.

or just get a black gel and cut the company logo out (get it done pro)

and it will work just not move

Sam
27-09-2007, 07:43 PM
lol!
Yes most decent moving heads take custom gobos.

OHP... like they use in schools? how naff would that look...

As for cutting it out... wouldn't go there! would look tacky. You can get gobos custom made with two lines of writing for £50.

or just get a black gel and cute the company logo out (get it done pro)

DMX Will
27-09-2007, 08:26 PM

or just get a black gel and cute the company logo out (get it done pro)

That won't work.

A par 36 (I.E. what you have shown there) has no lenses on it.

You cannot just put some black cut out cardboard in front of a light and expect a picture.

In a profile (spotlight) lantern (which takes gobos). You have the lamp at the rear, with a reflector behind it.

The light then travels down the lantern to the gobo, hits the gobo, and then after the gobo, you have one, most probably two lenses which focus the image.

You cannot get a decent image (if at all) out of something without at least one lense. You can not use something like cardboard in front of a light - think about the fire hazzards.

Do me a favour CJ, do some reading before you post facts that couldn't be further wrong, or simply only state facts about things you actually know about.

Matt, a DHA/Rosco custom Gobo is about £40 + £30/hour studio time.

Sam
27-09-2007, 08:29 PM
give him credit will.... the cardboard would make a great fire effect.. at budget cost....... ;)

Do you have a link to the people who you mentioned make the gobos.. can't remember if that's who i got the quote from a while back or not!

DMX Will
27-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Google"DHA" you get...

http://www.dhalighting.co.uk/

DHA/Rosco are the same now.

Sam
27-09-2007, 08:47 PM

and i WabbaDabba'd it: "Docosahexaenoic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia" haha!

DMX Will
27-09-2007, 08:48 PM
give him credit will.... the cardboard would make a great fire effect.. at budget cost....... ;)

CJ didn't actually say cardboard...I just added it in for good measure.

I don't mean to be harsh CJ, but mate, you cannot go around stating things you dont know about, doing this on a forum like this can affect someones business, let alone health and safety.

Imagine if Matt (Ricesnaps) turned up with is black gel, cut out and a par 36 to his corporate gig....I wouldn't like to be in your shoes if this happened.

Sam
27-09-2007, 08:51 PM
CJ didn't actually say cardboard...I just added it in for good measure.

I don't mean to be harsh CJ, but mate, you cannot go around stating things you dont know about, doing this on a forum like this can affect someones business, let alone health and safety.

Imagine if Matt (Ricesnaps) turned up with is black gel, cut out and a par 36 to his corporate gig....I wouldn't like to be in your shoes if this happened.

mm agreed!

Cj_The_Dj
27-09-2007, 08:57 PM
i ment somehing like a gel and i have seen it done. not realy cut out more like stamped out

DMX Will
27-09-2007, 09:00 PM
i ment somehing like a gel and i have seen it done. not realy cut out more like stamped out

Like this?

http://www.sourceshop.com/Gobos/gobo.jpg

Cj_The_Dj
27-09-2007, 09:02 PM
basicly yes

DMX Will
27-09-2007, 09:04 PM
I'm afraid thats a gobo, as I said a few posts ago, you must run something like a gobo through at least one lense to focus it. Most lanterns will throw and image through two. One for size, one for focus.

Sam
27-09-2007, 09:06 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cj_The_Dj
27-09-2007, 09:08 PM
but i sed something like that not a gobo it would be bigger for one.

DMX Will
27-09-2007, 09:10 PM
but i sed something like that not a gobo it would be bigger for one.

But you still need a lense or 2 mate :)

Sam
27-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Serioulsy.. just don't!!
Gobos come in all sizes.
You get them custom made from 0.01mm to 90 mm if you wanted.

Bit of an exageration but maybe you will get our point now..

DMX Will
27-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Serioulsy.. just don't!!
Gobos come in all sizes.
You get them custom made from 0.01mm to 90 mm if you wanted.

Bit of an exageration but maybe you will get our point now..

Are you sure? Thought you could only get the standard A,B,C and Moving light standard sizes?

Sam
27-09-2007, 09:16 PM
you know what i meant...

DMX Will
27-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Are you sure? Thought you could only get the standard A,B,M and Moving light standard sizes?

Edit: Gobo size C should have been "M"