PDA

View Full Version : Do SM58s packup

DJ James Lake
04-10-2007, 01:20 AM
I have 2 Shure SM58 corded mics which I dont use very often because they sound dull.

Do SM58s packup? because when I use them I sound like I have a cold. There seems to be very little top end even with plenty of EQ.

Even my cheap KAM 1940 radio mics sound 10 times better.

Any ideas?

BeerFunk
04-10-2007, 01:43 AM
Wow, I have to say I've never heard that happening before. Have they always been like that? Where did you get them?

I love mine, it's made my voice a lot clearer, and in turn has given me more confidence on the mic.

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-10-2007, 01:45 AM
I use 58s a lot, radio and leaded.

When did you buy them and what kind of lead are you using with them?

I had Kam radio mics too - the 1930s I think and generally, there's no comparison.

DJ James Lake
04-10-2007, 04:41 AM
I cant remember if they have always been like it. I have used them for years.

I use them with various leads doesnt seem to make any difference both balanced and unbalanced.

I really noticed the difference a while back when I bought a DB technologies radio mic which is good but lacks bass in the voice.

The KAM 1930 are pretty poor I agree I have the 1940 model which sound perfect compared to the SM58s which honestly sound like i'm holding my nose.

I think i'm going to have to take them into a dealer and try them alongside a brand new one.

Dragonfly
04-10-2007, 06:53 AM
love mine too alot clearer than any other mic ive ever owned , as for packing up ... i saw one take a nose dive from 6ft a couple of weeks ago .... not so much as a dent.