PDA

View Full Version : Let's keep this useful and tight

Baby Mirror Ball
06-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Can I say, with greatest of respect for some of the regular contributors to the forums, that it would be a great deal tighter and more useful, if we kept the chat in the right place. This is a music forum. So if the thread is say, 'Slowies' either post some ideas or keep quiet. I've just spent ages wading through chat and daft comments - there's a place for that. If you're lonely, go down the pub! I really like this place but I get the feeling it's a bar stool for some people and trawling through the tattle to get to something relavant to the thread appears to be getting more difficult and time consuming.

Sam
06-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Can I say, with greatest of respect for some of the regular contributors to the forums, that it would be a great deal tighter and more useful, if we kept the chat in the right place. This is a music forum. So if the thread is say, 'Slowies' either post some ideas or keep quiet. I've just spent ages wading through chat and daft comments - there's a place for that. If you're lonely, go down the pub! I really like this place but I get the feeling it's a bar stool for some people and trawling through the tattle to get to something relavant to the thread appears to be getting more difficult and time consuming.

ho hum..:zip:

Tom
06-10-2007, 04:55 PM
we have a new mod i see

Shaun
06-10-2007, 05:01 PM

To an extent you have a point, but it's innevitable that topics will stray from time to time. We do try to steer things back on track if it veers too far from the original point, but with a forum of this size sometimes things are missed. It's all about creating a fine balance though. The 'chat and daft comments' are as vital to this online community as the serious information. I'd hate to see things so clinical that we can't have a bit of fun or let people's personalities come out.

Shaun
06-10-2007, 05:05 PM
we have a new mod i see

He raised a point that he felt strongly about. Opinions and discussion are the fundamental backbones of an online forum. Let's cut him some slack please.

BeerFunk
06-10-2007, 05:21 PM
I've just spent ages wading through chat and daft comments - there's a place for that. If you're lonely, go down the pub!
:rolleyes:

I don't disagree with your main point, but what makes you think you have an automatic right to have all the information and resources you want organised into neat threads? :mad:

OK, threads go off topic, but usually after the initial topic has been dealt with. It doesn't take much to sift through threads to seperate the banter from the serious posts - you're not paying for these forums so you can't exactly complain.

Tom
06-10-2007, 07:59 PM
He raised a point that he felt strongly about. Opinions and discussion are the fundamental backbones of an online forum. Let's cut him some slack please.

i understand what you mean but as he is a new member if dont seem right that he should be telling what to do (in a way)

i do agree that threads do go off topic but thats usuall because the main question has been explained or answered like what beerfunk said but if the original question has been sorted then why keep talking about it :confused:

colint
06-10-2007, 08:12 PM
And I thought I was a bit blunt! good luck with that one!!!!:eek:

Penfold42
06-10-2007, 09:20 PM
I agree....but there are better ways to make a point.

And I thought I was a bit blunt! good luck with that one!!!!:eek:
I also agree.......blunt for a new comer.....IMO.
Sorry.....it's the way i feel......:)

Dragonfly
06-10-2007, 09:31 PM

I agree that sometimes things get a bit daft and I m probably a big contributor to that but to be honest the bold bit is just a little on the condesending side??? I think most questions on here do get answered quickly and effectively but one or two of us do suffer from Ihaveanoutgoingpersonalityandlikealaughandajokealo tofthetimeitis

if this causes distress alarm or discomfort to anyone then i am sorry. but peoples personalitys will come over in replys in threads after all it is a forum for discussion and not the encyclopedia britannica.

PropellerHeadCase
06-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Seldom good netiquette to tell a well-established board how it should be run on your ninth post... good point or not.

colint
06-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Just to mark a point useful & tight don't really go with music! one of the things I really like about my "work" is it's fun (most of the time) when you get to serious the fun stops and then it becomes just work!

so being truthful I don't really see a place for useful & tight! yes we do all sometimes go of key a little, but hey! look at the imformation you have at the click of a mouse!

Corabar Entertainment
06-10-2007, 11:54 PM
i understand what you mean but as he is a new member if dont seem right that he should be telling what to do (in a way)...and you've only been here a short time yourself KMA!

He raised a point that he felt strongly about. Opinions and discussion are the fundamental backbones of an online forum. Let's cut him some slack please.Well said, I completely agree Shaun, and I don't think anyone should put down another member for stating their opinion, however many posts they have - so long as it isn't a personal attack on another member.

Funnily enough I had made exactly the same point to Steve the other day about how topics seem to be going off topic and into sillyness so quickly recently.

I absolutely agree that we should have some fun along the way, and when a thread has been going a while and the original point has been dealt with, I don't see any harm in it going off on a tangent then, but IMHO a few recently have more or less gone off-topic into la-la-land from the 2nd post onwards.... which I am sure can be rather frustrating for the original poster of the thread or for anyone else interested in the intended subject matter of the thread. :)

Corabar Steve
07-10-2007, 12:40 AM
i understand what you mean but as he is a new member if dont seem right that he should be telling what to do (in a way)

Um.....

...and you've only been here a short time yourself KMA!
Baby Mirror Ball Aug 2007

...Funnily enough I had made exactly the same point to Steve the other day about how topics seem to be going off topic and into sillyness so quickly recently.

I absolutely agree that we should have some fun along the way, and when a thread has been going a while and the original point has been dealt with, I don't see any harm in it going off on a tangent then, but IMHO a few recently have more or less gone off-topic into la-la-land from the 2nd post onwards.... which I am sure can be rather frustrating for the original poster of the thread or for anyone else interested in the intended subject matter of the thread. :)
& I have posted as much (either on Thursday or Friday, somebody didn't read all the recent posts did they?) The thread mentioned in the original post went off topic over a year ago & was brought back on topic when it was revived on Thursday.

By the way, as this thread isn't actually about music, it's actually in the wrong forum section.

Could all members please remember to start threads in the correct forum. Thanks.

Corabar Steve
07-10-2007, 01:15 AM
By the way, as this thread isn't actually about music, it's actually in the wrong forum section.

Could all members please remember to start threads in the correct forum. Thanks.

Suppose I'd better put it somewhere more relevant now:sj:

BeerFunk
07-10-2007, 01:23 AM
Well said, I completely agree Shaun, and I don't think anyone should put down another member for stating their opinion, however many posts they have - so long as it isn't a personal attack on another member.

Funnily enough I had made exactly the same point to Steve the other day about how topics seem to be going off topic and into sillyness so quickly recently.
Yes, but why shouldn't we tell him what we think, if he's rude to us? There was nothing personal or offensive said by us, but there certainly was by him - otherwise this thread wouldn't have had as many replies.

Corabar Entertainment
07-10-2007, 01:34 AM
Fair enough, but personally, I thought that some of the replies were OTT. I didn't think the original post was that rude, but I thought some of the replies were. Just my opinion.....

Corabar Steve
07-10-2007, 01:46 AM
Yes, but why shouldn't we tell him what we think, if he's rude to us? There was nothing personal or offensive said by us, but there certainly was by him - otherwise this thread wouldn't have had as many replies.

Fair enough, but personally, I thought that some of the replies were OTT. I didn't think the original post was that rude, but I thought some of the replies were. Just my opinion.....

I can see both POVs

Baby Mirror Ball
07-10-2007, 08:49 AM
...and you've only been here a short time yourself KMA!

Well said, I completely agree Shaun, and I don't think anyone should put down another member for stating their opinion, however many posts they have - so long as it isn't a personal attack on another member.

This is pretty much the point I'm making. Sorry if I've offended anyone.

BeerFunk
07-10-2007, 09:17 AM
This is pretty much the point I'm making. Sorry if I've offended anyone.
I think everyone agrees with you in principle, it was just the manner in which you made the your point! Don't worry about it, we're all thick skinned, the ones that aren't don't come back! :eek: :p

Corabar Steve
07-10-2007, 10:24 AM
True :sj:

Baby Mirror Ball
07-10-2007, 10:40 AM
I think I have been rather rude in retrospect. I made my point partly in jest but I can see it hasn't come across that way at all. I'll try to be more diplomatic in future. Sincere apologies to anyone I made cross. There's a lot of knowlege across thses forums that I've found really helpful. Thanks to all who make it a very useful and friendly place.

Dragonfly
07-10-2007, 10:43 AM
:D :D dont worry about it at all we are all really thick skinned and if you stick around i'm sure you may see one or two that are alot less diplomatic :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D :beer1: :beer1:

Corabar Steve
07-10-2007, 11:01 AM
:whome::whistle:

Penfold42
07-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Group hug........

If my post sounded rude....didn't mean to........:)

:beer1:

Dragonfly
07-10-2007, 11:30 AM
:D :D dont worry about it at all we are all really thick skinned and if you stick around i'm sure you may see one or two that are alot less diplomatic :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D :beer1: :beer1:

Group hug........

If my post sounded rude....didn't mean to........:)

:beer1:

didn't think you were coming back !!! :D :D

see mirrorball told you :D :D :D :D

Penfold42
07-10-2007, 11:31 AM

see mirrorball told you :D :D :D :D

We are quick today........:D :D :D :D

Corabar Entertainment
07-10-2007, 12:23 PM

We are quick today........:D :D :D :DSee mirror ball: original subject matter of the post dealt with............ AND THEY'RE OFF! :p :p :D

Corabar Steve
07-10-2007, 01:03 PM
& it's Sunday which means there is a fair chance of alcohol being involved by the end of the night.:sj:

Penfold42
07-10-2007, 05:12 PM
See mirror ball: original subject matter of the post dealt with............ AND THEY'RE OFF! :p :p :D
:o :o :D :D

& it's Sunday which means there is a fair chance of alcohol being involved by the end of the night.:sj:

Your right....rather a large amount.....don't get thick heads as a rule.....but today made up for it.....:o

Sam
07-10-2007, 05:18 PM
it's nearly christmas!

all the best
:D

Dragonfly
07-10-2007, 05:23 PM
:o :o :D :D

Your right....rather a large amount.....don't get thick heads as a rule.....but today made up for it.....:o

debatable :D :D :D :D :D

Penfold42
07-10-2007, 05:25 PM
debatable :D :D :D :D :D

Afternoon Ern.........
"That's easy for you to say!"

Dragonfly
07-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Afternoon Ern.........
"That's easy for you to say!"

afternoon???????????? it's evening where i come from :D :D :D head ok?

Penfold42
07-10-2007, 05:33 PM
afternoon???????????? it's evening where i come from :D :D :D head ok?

Early evening please.....:D :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Early evening please.....:D :D

Did you two read the title of this thread? :rolleyes:

Penfold42
07-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Did you two read the title of this thread? :rolleyes:

:o :o :o

Sorry Boss

Dragonfly
07-10-2007, 05:45 PM
yes "lets keep it tight useful " Im clenching and helping Turntable Tone with his morning afternoon and evening confusion .... which im sure he is finding useful :D :D

Corabar Steve
07-10-2007, 06:23 PM
http://planetsmilies.net/sign-smiley-438.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)