PDA

View Full Version : 4u case problem ?

Mission
13-11-2007, 12:22 PM
I have a 4u case with a 2U power amp in the bottom and have just got a 1U showtek Light switch panel to go in the top.

But the holes for the 1U unit don't line up. Phoned the shop and they seem to think its the spacing of the holes in the case.

Each side of the case has 12 holes.

Are there two types of spacing ?

Any ideas ?

DJ James Lake
13-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Its probably the holes in the showtec, I have a chauvet one (basically the same) I get the same problem. I had to drill the front plate to get it to match. I think they dont bother checking where they are meant to be

Mission
13-11-2007, 04:26 PM
I have installed it with one bolt on each side. Not Ideal but as you know the switch panel is not a heavy unit so will have to do.

Tom
13-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Its probably the holes in the showtec, I have a chauvet one (basically the same) I get the same problem. I had to drill the front plate to get it to match. I think they dont bother checking where they are meant to be

:eek: You drill your rack gear. Not for me. I try to protect my gear let alone drilling it.

I to have the same problem but i use a 16u rack case. As its a big case i just have a small gap if the holes dont meet up.

I also have a SKB plastic 4u. Nothing wrong with that one at all.

Jiggles
13-11-2007, 10:10 PM
i always thought that rack cases has moveable nuts like mine? (aliminum and plastic)

Tom
13-11-2007, 10:26 PM
depends on the make i think. on the SKB case it has pre drilled holes already made in the rail. It only takes M5 screws

But on the 16u case you need M6 cage nuts an d M6 screws to hold any gear in it

super-hero
13-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Maybe a silly question, but have you got your rack case up the right way.

Mission
13-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Maybe a silly question, but have you got your rack case up the right way.

Yeah it's the right way up. Well the sticker on the side, says this way up :D

I'll get a picture to show whats going on.

Corabar Steve
14-11-2007, 09:13 AM
Which is why we make our own or buy ones with the groove that allows the nuts to slide up & down. One of the first cases I bought had punched holes, which lined up perfectly with what went in it initially. When it was replaced everything was a couple of mm out & the bolts wouldn't go line up (had to file the holes to get them to line up, much easier than drilling). The moral of this story? Never buy rack cases with punched holes.