PDA

View Full Version : Peavey Pro 15s

bluishbob
25-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Hey all,

After a long while of saving up, then spending money on completely different things, and being generally undecided, i have finally come to a conclusion about my speaker set up.

I want to replace my current speakers, as most of you well know. The amp i currently have only runs at 250watts x2 (8ohms) and 400watts x2(4ohms).

so without going oput and buying a new amp, it seems that new speakers would not make a huge difference to the system (and i want to be able to fill bigger halls)

so i have decided that as much as i like the wharfedales, i have saved up enough to bite the bullet and get a new set of Peavey Pro 15s. 300watts RMS.

This way i drive much more power from the amp (without having to save even more money for a new amp). I know i won't be able to parallel another set of speakers, but i figure if i stick with peaveys even though i will have to buy another amp for any other top end speakers, the amps will be cheaper because i will drive them at 4ohms (getting more out of them for the money).

Then if i want to keep upgrading in the future i can add some bass cabs, and maybe even the pro 12s (as they seem to go for only about £120 on ebay) for top end, and have an active crossover, for complete controll over a nice 2k ish 3 way system.

Well thats the plan at least.
What do you think?

Excalibur
25-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Hey all,

After a long while of saving up, then spending money on completely different things, and being generally undecided, i have finally come to a conclusion about my speaker set up.

I want to replace my current speakers, as most of you well know. The amp i currently have only runs at 250watts x2 (8ohms) and 400watts x2(4ohms).

so without going oput and buying a new amp, it seems that new speakers would not make a huge difference to the system (and i want to be able to fill bigger halls)

so i have decided that as much as i like the wharfedales, i have saved up enough to bite the bullet and get a new set of Peavey Pro 15s. 300watts RMS.

This way i drive much more power from the amp (without having to save even more money for a new amp). I know i won't be able to parallel another set of speakers, but i figure if i stick with peaveys even though i will have to buy another amp for any other top end speakers, the amps will be cheaper because i will drive them at 4ohms (getting more out of them for the money).

Then if i want to keep upgrading in the future i can add some bass cabs, and maybe even the pro 12s (as they seem to go for only about £120 on ebay) for top end, and have an active crossover, for complete controll over a nice 2k ish 3 way system.

Well thats the plan at least.
What do you think?

Simply thinking aloud, and I like Peaveys, but- Would another pair of your existing speakers in parallel deliver the same power output, and with more drivers? It could be a cheaper short term measure, but might limit future expansion.

bluishbob
26-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Well, yes but as it stands i don't hav the room to transport 2 sets of cabs (at least not for a little while). Plus my existing speakers are starting to sound a bit oldish. Would be ok if i needed them as back up or maybe spare for big rigs, but when comped to the peavey system at school, it doesn't keep up (not quite good enough for my main system)

CRAZY K
26-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Well, yes but as it stands i don't hav the room to transport 2 sets of cabs (at least not for a little while). Plus my existing speakers are starting to sound a bit oldish. Would be ok if i needed them as back up or maybe spare for big rigs, but when comped to the peavey system at school, it doesn't keep up (not quite good enough for my main system)

Ive been using the Pro 15s for 3 years now--with and without the Pro subs.

For average Wedding gigs (100 people) on their own they give a reasonable sound with reasonable bass end--if you are playing bigger halls and Marquees or if you want loads of bass you need the Pro Subs.

CRAZY K
BACK IN THE UK
:cowboy:

Vectis
26-11-2007, 09:44 AM
:agree:

Me too.

bluishbob
26-11-2007, 03:21 PM
I was thinking that when i get to the stage of needing subs, i would go for the Wharfedale EVPX -15B. !5inch Drivers 400watts each at 4ohms.

The peavey pro equivalent are only 300, i want to have that little extra that means i don't need to go into 18inch, but have enough to support a good 2/2.5k system.

pagan_flame
26-11-2007, 04:01 PM
I have Peavey Clubsys 15"s - now known as Messenger UL 15 - which give a very good bass and handle 2kW each - for small gigs I just take out my Class D 15"s (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Class-d-CD158-700watt-RMS-speakers-bands-dj-PA-audio_W0QQitemZ180183466516QQihZ008QQcategoryZ2379 4QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem) instead (with active Mackie tops).

I'm driving those with a C-Audio 2.2kW amp - gives me 650w RMS per channel into the Peaveys (4 Ohm) but 325w per channel RMS into the Class D's (8 Ohm).

Peavey's --> HERE (http://www.gear4music.com/PA_Equipment/Passive_PA_Speakers/Peavey_Messenger_UL_15_PA_Speaker.html) <-- *yikes* 400 quid each...

Go see the Class D Ebay shop --> HERE (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Class-D-Design-Ltd) <---, how about a complete system for £684 delivered? A pair of 12"s, a pair of 15"s and a pair of 15" Subs AND an amp --> HERE (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Classd-BEAST-concert-system-DJ-Audio-PA-Band_W0QQitemZ180180777803QQihZ008QQcategoryZ47094 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem) <---

or a pair of aforementioned 15"s plus a pair of subs for £344 delivered? --> HERE (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180183839776) <---

bluishbob
26-11-2007, 05:05 PM
wow. Quite a lot to think about there. I will have to have a good think before i do anything.

Can anyone tell me for definate the RMS wattage of the peavey pro 15s, because some ebay auctions say 250 and some say 300.

Excalibur
26-11-2007, 05:35 PM

So it's no good suggesting two pairs of my beloved 215's then ? :confused: :D :D

Seriously, Pagan's advice is nearly what I would have suggested, with the rerminder that Only the Beast system runs at 4ohms, as you ( and most of us ) require.

spin mobile disco
26-11-2007, 05:38 PM
The current specs on the pro's are :

300 Watts RMS continuous, 600 Watts program, 1200 Watts peak.
4 Ohms.
15'' (381mm) speaker with 3" (76mm) voice coil.
1.75" (44.5mm) compression driver.
Dispersion: 90° H x 40° V.
Frequency response: 50 Hz – 18kHz.
Efficiency: 98dB.
Two 1/4'' (6.35mm) jack and two Neutrik® Speakon® sockets.
Full range with horn protection.
Resilient carpet covered.
Silver steel grille.
Steel stand adaptor.
Teardrop handles.
Dimensions (HxWxD): 25.6'' (650mm) x 18.1'' (460mm) x 15.4'' (390mm)
Weight: 48.5lbs (22kg)

These specs have just undergone a change, they were 250 rms but have had new uprated drivers fitted to them for 2007. They are pretty good speakers I used a pair for a while and found them very good speakers although pretty heavy.
I used mine quite regulary with audiences up to 200 people with no problems. That was without subs as well. Although I did not do any outdoor or marques with them so cannot comment on that.

bluishbob
26-11-2007, 06:41 PM
ok, so i need to make sure i have a 2007+ model. I would have gone for Class-D but for the extra £20/30, it saves me getting a new amp to power them propperly

Vectis
26-11-2007, 06:47 PM
You'll struggle to beat this deal (http://www.stagebeat.co.uk/P/4343/PRO15+PA+SPEAKERS+PACKAGE+1200w) :approve:

bluishbob
26-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Occationally there are new sets of them on ebay auctions, they go for between £150 and 180, depending on the time of day.

so only £35 more than a set of the equivalent class-D (on average)

Creature
27-11-2007, 12:49 AM
I use xt500s tops for 95% of gigs and for larger venues bring out the pro sub cabs.