PDA

View Full Version : Great Wedding, even with sound limiter.

super-hero
25-11-2007, 10:09 PM
I was booked for a weeding reception on Saturday at quite an upmarket venue, which supplied all their own equipment. Sound and lights.

So all I have to do is turn up and play for 4 hours, no loading in or out.

Their equipment was good quality, Formula Sound mixer and Dennon CD players, even a cable ready to plug my laptop into. The sound system was Bose and sounded fine. There was a sound limiter installed on the back wall of the room, and for the first time, seemed to be set to a sensible limit.

The crowd were fantastic. They ranged from about 18 years old upwards, and all of them danced from the first song to the last. I played old, new, charty, cheese, singalong and they didn't stop dancing until the very last song.

It felt strange going out and not taking a van load of equipment, but I'm not complaining.

Tom
25-11-2007, 10:31 PM
well done there.

If only there were more of these kind of disco's about but then where would be the fun if you cant take your own gear???

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-11-2007, 10:52 PM
I was booked for a weeding reception

Is that when two gardeners get married? :coat:

Sounds like you had a great night. :thumbsup:

Corabar Entertainment
25-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Is that when two gardeners get married? :coat:So you decided that one was so bad, would wouldn't even bother with the taxi..... you're walking home, eh Darren? :p

Nice one super-hero :approve:

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-11-2007, 11:34 PM
So you decided that one was so bad, would wouldn't even bother with the taxi..... you're walking home, eh Darren? :p

I'm already at home.:D

rob1963
26-11-2007, 09:50 AM
There was a sound limiter installed on the back wall of the room, and for the first time, seemed to be set to a sensible limit.

Nice one, Super-hero.

Sound limiters themselves are not a problem, it's only a problem when they are set too low...which most of them seem to be.

However, I know venues with limiters that are set to a sensible level, and I can play at my normal volume with no problems at all.

super-hero
26-11-2007, 10:30 AM
My 2 previous experiences with limiters had made me think that they were impossible to work with. But you live and learn.

By the way, I do weeding and wedding receptions. I never turn down work.

rob1963
26-11-2007, 10:54 AM
By the way, I do weeding and wedding receptions. I never turn down work.

:Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:

Larry B Entertainment
26-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Sound limiters themselves are not a problem, it's only a problem when they are set too low...which most of them seem to be.

Nothing worse than one cutting out when the crowd start singing along :eek:

rob1963
26-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Nothing worse than one cutting out when the crowd start singing along :eek:

Been there & got the t shirt!

Penfold42
26-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Been there & got the t shirt!

What you got a t-shirt saying 'I've had one cut off....'.......:eek: :eek: :eek:

rob1963
26-11-2007, 04:01 PM
What you got a t-shirt saying 'I've had one cut off....'.......:eek: :eek: :eek:

Indeed I have...

...but why do I keep getting so many funny looks?

:rolleyes:

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-11-2007, 04:13 PM
I've actually had my gear cut out due to a limiter when I was introducing the B&G onto the dance floor for the first dance.

Embarrassing wasn't the word....

rob1963
26-11-2007, 04:24 PM
I've actually had my gear cut out due to a limiter when I was introducing the B&G onto the dance floor for the first dance.

:jawdrop:

Penfold42
26-11-2007, 07:37 PM

How did you get around that then??

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-11-2007, 07:40 PM
How did you get around that then??

I didn't really. I kind of looked embarrassed, pointed a bit and waited for the electricity to come back on. When I did, I spoke in two or three word bursts, giving time for the lights to go back to green.

It was ridiculous. I got told afterwards that the resident DJ always plugged in elsewhere, but they wouldn't let me bypass anything.

Penfold42
26-11-2007, 07:42 PM
I trust the B&G were understanding then......:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-11-2007, 07:46 PM
I trust the B&G were understanding then......:)

It was hardly my fault - they didn't tell me there was a limiter. That was the last time I worked in a venue with one and that was probably over 10 years ago.

Penfold42
26-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Tough call.....:)