Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: change of layout

You're welcome, Paul. Good luck.

As an update,

I emailed 123 Reg about putting in my own header and the basic answer was that the header has to stay as it's with the instant site package.

They did however say if I wished to upgrade to the "hosting " package then I could have what ever I wanted!

So , it looks lke im going to be "stockbroker" disco karaoke for the forseeable future.
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

Quote Originally Posted by Spirits High View Post
    So , it looks lke im going to be "stockbroker" disco karaoke for the forseeable future.
    ....yupie or dinky.....which one....
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

As an update,

I emailed 123 Reg about putting in my own header and the basic answer was that the header has to stay as it's with the instant site package.

They did however say if I wished to upgrade to the "hosting " package then I could have what ever I wanted!

From what I can tell, their starter hosting package is actually cheaper than the instant site package you're currently on.

Problem might be that they won't port your "Instant Site" as it is over to your hosting package if you change, but that isn't a problem, it's easy enough to download as it is and then upload it to your hosting webspace once that's set up, kinda like what I've done here

Doing this would give you far more felixibilty. OK, so you'd have to learn a little HTML but there are many good free editors available. As you've already seen, the "Instant Site" solution is fairly limiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    From what I can tell, their starter hosting package is actually cheaper than the instant site package you're currently on.

Problem might be that they won't port your "Instant Site" as it is over to your hosting package if you change, but that isn't a problem, it's easy enough to download as it is and then upload it to your hosting webspace once that's set up, kinda like what I've done here

Doing this would give you far more felixibilty. OK, so you'd have to learn a little HTML but there are many good free editors available. As you've already seen, the "Instant Site" solution is fairly limiting.
    Marc,

As usual thanks, i'll give them an email and see what they say. I take it all I really need to do is save the code from the source bit and then upload it to the new thing?

Oh and buy myself a copy of "Websites for Dummys"
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

As an update,

No offence intended, but why scrimp and save (relatively small amounts) when it comes to the image for your business?. Get some dedicated hosting so you'll be able to make the small changes that'll personalise your site. Best of luck, mate.
    Last edited by Shaun; 05-01-2008 at 05:10 PM.

I take it all I really need to do is save the code from the source bit and then upload it to the new thing?
    As you don't have FTP access you'd have to view the source of each page and save it, or "rip" the whole site in one go using software designed to do just that (which is what i did to copy it ). As I've already done it I'll PM you a link to download you whole site as I have it in a ZIP file (the whole thing is only only 315Kb, and 137Kb ZIPped).

Then you get your hosting account set up (doesn't have to be 123-reg ) and upload it to your webspace. Some pages (for example the contact page) might need some tweaking but nothing major.

You'll then be able to tweak it as much as you like.
    Oh and buy myself a copy of "Websites for Dummys"
    That depends how much editing you intend to do. You've got your initial layout, text edits now and then are easy enough .

Or you could host it elsewhere, I've heard if you get that guy in a good mood he'll throw in a slick looking Gallery, Contact Form and FAQ Page

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    elsewhere, I've heard if you get that guy in a good mood he'll throw in a slick looking Gallery, Contact Form and FAQ Page
    Now there's a great offer.

Is that the same FAQ that's installed on my site?, if so it's a great tool.

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ View Post
    Is that the same FAQ that's installed on my site?, if so it's a great tool.
    Yes it is