Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 13yr old party

I do quite a lot of 13th and children's birthday parties and I tend to notice that they do want a real lot of up-to-date music. I agree with the earlier posts about the chart music and some popular party dances but my biggest problem is no matter how many of the latest chart, dance and r n b songs you have in your playlist there will always be songs you don't have.

Do any of you get lots of requests for songs you have never heard of in these discos? I try my best to keep in the know about what this aged group are into but some of the songs they request just completely throw me! They show me and let me listen to songs on their mobile phones and then tell me names of songs that they are into. I agree most of the songs will be 'way out' and just liked by that one person.

For example I did a 13th birthday last night that lasted 3 hours. I asked before the disco if they could email me a playlist but this didn't arrive and instead they handed me a list of about 100 tracks on the night. So I checked through and found I did have quite a few but then there were a lot which I just had never heard of. Here is an example of the songs on the list:

gives you hell - the all american rejects
    blood sugar - pendulum
    time to pretend, weekend wars and electric feel - mgmt
    grace - will young
    you and me - one night only
    - most of the latest akon album!
    cant stand me now
    narcissist???
    campaign of hate
    the man who would be king
    this is an emergency - the pidgeon detectives
    always need to be - the kooks
    vampire weekend - a punk
    where do i hide - nickelback
    moving on - taio cruz

and loads more!

All of the above I did not have and was wondering if any of you did have these or if not what would you be thinking of doing for future discos of this age group with having these type of requests?

I did have a lot that they wanted like katy perry, britney, flo rida, chris brown and i had plenty of their requests too but they seem to look at you weirdly if you haven't got some of the ones listed above.

Can anyone suggest where I can look to find out more about what these teenagers are into - where do they find out about all these songs, atrists and groups - do any of you have teenage kids and where do they get their music from? Just wondered if there were any suggestions out there as I do like to get as many of the songs they are into as possible.

Thanks

Default 13th girls b-day party play list

Hi all, doing a 13th birthday this Saturday. Got the playlist through and thanks to napster I managed to get some of the ones not in my collection.

Here is a sample.
    Dance with me - Dizzie
    Right now na na na - Akon
    Don't upset the rhythm - noisettes.
    Hannah Montana
    In for the kill - La Roux
    Various - Kaci
    Take me Back - Tichy Stryder
    Sugar - Flo Rida
    Tiny Dancer - Ironik
    Various - Pussycat dolls
    Various - Lilly Allen
    Various - Rihanna
    5 years time - Noah and the whale
    Gotta throw in some games and the like so I will get the limbo pole out, have a few boy vs girls dance off's, maybe get them doing the black lace tracks like superman, conga etc. Dunno what else just play it by ear.

I usually do 11 and under so I hope they dont mind dancing most of the night. Any games ideas would be help. Can I get away with corners? I usually put up pictures of Hannah Mont and HSM instead of colours.

I think the party dances will be way too young and uncool for them.

Oh OK,
    Party Girls Mum asked for Arches and I dont know what that game is.

Maybe some help needed here.

Quote Originally Posted by karl james View Post
    Oh OK,
    Party Girls Mum asked for Arches and I dont know what that game is.

Maybe some help needed here.
    Arches is a kissing game but I can't remember exactly how it is played.

Default music list

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Ive got to agree on this one. I think it will be too young. I probably do more 13/14 year old parties than anything else and I think all they will want is music. I have never incorporated games into it but i suppose the limbo would be good.

As for music you will have to have the most recent top music (top40 / rnb etc) I will quickly write down a list of songs that you will most proabbly need:

Tinchy Stryder feat N Dubz - Number 1
    Lady Gaga - Poker Face, Just Dance
    Ciara feat Justin Timberlake - Love Sex Magic
    Im not alone - Calvin Harris
    Eminem - We made you, Crack a bottle
    Akon feat Kardinal Official - dangerous
    Alesha Dixon - The man does nothing / breathe slow
    Shontelle - t-shirt
    N-Dubz - strong again
    September - can't get over
    Flo Rida - Right Round
    Justin Timberlake feat. T.I. - Dead and Gone
    Akon - beautiful
    Taylor Swift - Love story
    Pussycat Dolls - Jai Ho
    katy Perry - i kissed a girl / hot'n'cold
    la roux - in for the kill
    Tinchy Stryder - Take me back
    Kid Cudi vs Crookers - Day 'n' Nite
    Basshunter - Angel in the night

Also if you can take soem of the following, but it migiht be a bit old for them.... some parties will know it and love it, others will not know what it is:

Pendulum - Blood Sugar
    Pendulum - Tarantula
    Pendulum - propane nightmares
    Prodigy - Omen

Hope this helps with your party. Of course some DJ CHEESE wont be a miss like follow da leader etc.

Hope it go's well for you

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Having said that, certain things like the cha cha slide, Saturday night and the macarena generally go well depending on the maturity of the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz View Post
    I do quite a lot of 13th and children's birthday parties and I tend to notice that they do want a real lot of up-to-date music. I agree with the earlier posts about the chart music and some popular party dances but my biggest problem is no matter how many of the latest chart, dance and r n b songs you have in your playlist there will always be songs you don't have.

Do any of you get lots of requests for songs you have never heard of in these discos? I try my best to keep in the know about what this aged group are into but some of the songs they request just completely throw me! They show me and let me listen to songs on their mobile phones and then tell me names of songs that they are into. I agree most of the songs will be 'way out' and just liked by that one person.

For example I did a 13th birthday last night that lasted 3 hours. I asked before the disco if they could email me a playlist but this didn't arrive and instead they handed me a list of about 100 tracks on the night. So I checked through and found I did have quite a few but then there were a lot which I just had never heard of. Here is an example of the songs on the list:

gives you hell - the all american rejects
    blood sugar - pendulum
    time to pretend, weekend wars and electric feel - mgmt
    grace - will young
    you and me - one night only
    - most of the latest akon album!
    cant stand me now
    narcissist???
    campaign of hate
    the man who would be king
    this is an emergency - the pidgeon detectives
    always need to be - the kooks
    vampire weekend - a punk
    where do i hide - nickelback
    moving on - taio cruz

and loads more!

All of the above I did not have and was wondering if any of you did have these or if not what would you be thinking of doing for future discos of this age group with having these type of requests?

I did have a lot that they wanted like katy perry, britney, flo rida, chris brown and i had plenty of their requests too but they seem to look at you weirdly if you haven't got some of the ones listed above.

Can anyone suggest where I can look to find out more about what these teenagers are into - where do they find out about all these songs, atrists and groups - do any of you have teenage kids and where do they get their music from? Just wondered if there were any suggestions out there as I do like to get as many of the songs they are into as possible.

Thanks
    Well I am a teenage kid

Anyway out of the above you didnt have i think you should probably get:

Pendulum albums (especially for 14+)
    the most popular MGMT songs
    Akons entire discopraphy!!!!!!
    Taio Cruz songs (although this one wouldnt have stood out to me as a great song)

Some teenagers think they are really cool by asking for one of the less popular songs of a particular artist as they think that it shows more of a better knowledge of music rather than looking at the top 10 lists every week liek the rest of their friends. They sometimes like to think they are into the 'deeper cuts'.

At 13, most teenagers however will be looking at the hit40 lists to choose their music. Quite often if you have seen that an artist has brought out two songs that make it into the top 20, the best idea is to go and get their entire album as some will always want the less popular songs by the popular artist.

Also if you try and listen to hit40 radio stations like kiss fm or capital fm (if you live in london). These stations will always be playing the newest and most popular tracks. Although I have never heard them play Pendulum as it is too DNB for commercial radio. That is the kind of band that gets spread through older siblings that are clubbing and the younger brothers and sisters get into them as a result of that.

I hope this helps

Jamie

Many thanks for the help guys.
    The party is for two hours and the party girl has given me a long list of tracks to play. I figure if I pad the rest out with a bit of cheese and scratch any requests as theres no room for extra tracks, then that will be a good gig. After all its the Kids party so I shall give her what she wants.
    To be fair I am not used to being behind the rig for more than a min due to being full on the dance floor doing games and dances with the younger kids.
    If I had a weekly gig at a youth club then I would do requests as its their night.

Once again thanks for the hints and tips. At least I wont look a plonker getting them to do the music man.

Pendulum albums (especially for 14+)
    the most popular MGMT songs
    Akons entire discopraphy!!!!!!
    Taio Cruz songs (although this one wouldnt have stood out to me as a great song)

Thanks for the info Jamie,
    do the kids actually dance to MGMT and Pendulum or do they sit around nodding their heads to the music.
    I think I am turning into my Dad, its just not having fun music to me. More like sitting in your bedroom doing facebook and Bebo with ur MP3 plugged in.
    If I am wrong then Hands up and I shall give them what they want.
    Last edited by karl james; 08-05-2009 at 09:21 PM.