Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: speakers and amp set ups

Default speakers and amp set ups

what will happen if i used 1.2k amp with 1,6 k speakers

What do you mean "what will happen"

Can't see any reason why you shouldn't, if that's what you mean, after all both are maximums (output and input/power handling)

Worcestershire, West Midlands/Cotswolds Border

Nothing, unless you plug a mixer and sound source into the amp.
    DJs, PA, Lighting & AV Hire, LED Uplighting & Wedding Lighting, Dance Floor Hire, Starcloth & Room Decor - Covering the Midlands & Cotswolds.
    Revolution Event Services Ltd - Wedding Lighting
    01386 898 113

it would be very loud!
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

a few assumptions here - I guess you may mean a 2 channel 600wrms/ch at 4R amp and a pair of 800wrms 4R speakers (or 2x400wrms 8R per side giving a 4R load) .....

if so, although the amplifier is on the smaller side for the cabs, provided you don't redline the mixer and clip the amplifier, the system should work ok for "normal" use, however you won't be able to rinse the system.

Quote Originally Posted by paul cowen View Post
    what will happen if i used 1.2k amp with 1,6 k speakers
    Right, since the serious answers have started to filter through, may I point out that this topic has been aired very extensively very recently, usually resulting in one or more members believing that their earnestly held beliefs are the only true answer, and that all those who disagree are impugning their integrity as professionals, and their only course is to leave this den of iniquity forthwith!

For the umpty third time, I will set out the three firmly held creeds of amp/speaker matching. I know I've done this less than a week ago, please. please,please can some people learn how to use the search facility?

1: Speakers twice rating of amp so that you can't blow the speakers up. Except if you get an amp that really is too small, you'll overdrive it, and something somewhere will go bang, cos all the red lights are on like traffic lights.

2: Both equal. It must make sense, musn't it? If everything is the same rating, it matches. Hard to fault this logic.

3: Amp twice speaker rating. Theory is that since there is a fundamental inequality in the ratings of amps and speakers, this is the most balanced set up. and as long as you keep the amp signal down, it will run for ever at threequarter throttle, feeding a beautiful clean signal to your speakers, which in turn will sound lovely, and last forever.

I've got to turn this into a sticky, or at least a word document!
    There you are, you pays your money, and you takes your choice. There are I know people on here in each camp, I'm not saying which you should follow, I hope I have set out some of the pros and cons of each. I lean towards three, but not with a religious zeal. I have blown gear up using all three theories, so the only hting to remember above all else is to keep all indicators of signal level green, and not to run any part of the system at absolutely max level.

More drink, and bed beckon now.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I've got to turn this into a sticky, or at least a word document!
    There you are, you pays your money, and you takes your choice. There are I know people on here in each camp, I'm not saying which you should follow, I hope I have set out some of the pros and cons of each. I lean towards three, but not with a religious zeal. I have blown gear up using all three theories, so the only hting to remember above all else is to keep all indicators of signal level green, and not to run any part of the system at absolutely max level.
    'Tis now stuck.

I think all options are covered below (unless anyone thinks different)
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    1: Speakers twice rating of amp so that you can't blow the speakers up. Except if you get an amp that really is too small, you'll overdrive it, and something somewhere will go bang, cos all the red lights are on like traffic lights.

2: Both equal. It must make sense, musn't it? If everything is the same rating, it matches. Hard to fault this logic.

3: Amp twice speaker rating. Theory is that since there is a fundamental inequality in the ratings of amps and speakers, this is the most balanced set up. and as long as you keep the amp signal down, it will run for ever at threequarter throttle, feeding a beautiful clean signal to your speakers, which in turn will sound lovely, and last forever.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

nigelwright7557

I have blown gear up using all three theories, so the only thing to remember above all else is to keep all indicators of signal level green, and not to run any part of the system at absolutely max level.

I have never blown up any gear, ever !

I use a 600 watts RMS amp with 1000 watts RMS of speakers.
    I can completely thottle the amp and it just distorts if driven too hard.
    Thats becasue the power supply has run out of steam.
    In fact I like the sound that MOSFETS give when overdriven.
    Its a much rawer sound a bit like the valve guitar amps that are so popular for their overdriven sound.

Why has it never blown up ?
    Coz I designed and built it myself not to blow up.
    No corners were cut in the design unlike a lot of pro gear which is built down to a price.

From the above post from Nigel:
    Its a much rawer sound a bit like the valve guitar amps that are so popular for their overdriven sound.

No corners were cut in the design unlike a lot of pro gear which is built down to a price.[/QUOTE]

Right?

It's very unlike you to contradict yourself Nigel?
    in close on 30 years of working with sound I have never met (or would like to meet) an "Engineer" that would make a statement like the above I bet it sounds real Dandy for your clients!
    Last edited by colint; 24-01-2008 at 07:00 PM.
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

nigelwright7557

Quote Originally Posted by colint View Post
    From the above post from Nigel:

No corners were cut in the design unlike a lot of pro gear which is built down to a price.

Right?

It's very unlike you to contradict yourself Nigel?
    in close on 30 years of working with sound I have never met (or would like to meet) an "Engineer" that would make a statement like the above I bet it sounds real Dandy for your clients![/QUOTE]