Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: speakers and amp set ups

nigelwright7557

All amps run out steam eventually.
    The difference is mine wait until they hit the rated power output before they do !

Quote from Mendoza (quote won't work)
    "The speakers wont have enough power and therefore wont get maximum output. Just like driving a Farari and having just 3 gears, your not feeding the motor with enough power."

Not untrue, but there's no law saying if you have 1.6k of speakers you absolutely have to drive them AT 1.6k!

1.2k is actually quite loud anyway, so it may be it is more than adequate for the gigs Paul will be doing. Maybe he just liked the sound/look/cost of the 1.6k ones.
    Simon (Grumpy old man) - and proud of it

nigelwright7557

I aqm sat tonight listening to disco in my living room using a 600w amp and 100w of speakers.
    Due to the size of the room I am probably using no more than a few watts but it sounds loud.

If you put too many watts into a speaker the voice coil wire overheats, melts the insulation and shorts all the coil turns together.

I have worked in a audio repair work shop and seen it louds of times.

Keep using 1.6 KW of speakers with 1.4KW amp and you shouldnt have any problems.

The only time it might become an issue if you loaded the amp with too low an impedance.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
    If you put too many watts into a speaker the voice coil wire overheats, melts the insulation and shorts all the coil turns together.

I have worked in a audio repair work shop and seen it louds of times.

Keep using 1.6 KW of speakers with 1.4KW amp and you shouldnt have any problems.

The only time it might become an issue if you loaded the amp with too low an impedance.
    Mmm... that crunchy sound of moulten coil
    Good sound too

BTW I agree, as if you hadn't have guessed!
    Simon (Grumpy old man) - and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post

I have blown gear up using all three theories

I have never blown up any gear, ever !

Huh

A nice quiet village called nazeing, near waltham abbey

hi paul
    all good advice here,take thier tips & you won't go far wrong. i'd like to add a tip, you may already know this.if you realy want high power & good quality sound, then let's say you want 3000 watts then ( if you got the funds ) buy 3 x 1000 w amps slaved together & run them at just over half power.obviously with the right amount of speaker power, results are crisp, clear, great powerful sound. i've never tried this, but have heard such a system working. sounds superb. i also don't know the maths of such system i.e watts / ohms formula, ask these guys they certainly know what's what.
    where did i hear this system ?, at a night club in essex , a huge celebrity dj was making a guest appearence there with his own roadshow ( he had only a quater of his full power of 6000 watts ) , his name, my idol dj the best ever,
    THE EMPEROR ROSKO ROAD SHOW. he's on the web, visit his site. i'm sure you'll be impressed. good luck paul. kindest regards always. THE DUKE.
    DAVE soul man

To quote one manufacturer,
    Most speakers will show 3 ratings cont rms, program & peak rms
    its is usually belived to run an amp the size of the middle figure.
    Something to do with music using continually varied frequencies as apposed to one continuous note/sound.

Before anyone shouts i didn't say this only what i've heard and so far its seen me right.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Veal View Post
    To quote one manufacturer,
    Most speakers will show 3 ratings cont rms, program & peak rms
    its is usually belived to run an amp the size of the middle figure.
    Something to do with music using continually varied frequencies as apposed to one continuous note/sound.

Before anyone shouts i didn't say this only what i've heard and so far its seen me right.
    I agree.

The rms rating relates to a constant tone, which is not what we put through them, and peak ratings are meaningless figures used to make it look as though the speakers can handle a lot more than they actually can.

However, I've always understood that the "program" rating relates to "music power" which is what we are using them for, and is therefore the best rating guide for our purposes.

nigelwright7557

"Thats becasue the power supply has run out of steam."

That is one of the corners not cut in the design.

Clearly a cut off point has to come with power somewhere and for me that was to work with my set of speakers without frying them !
    Thats not cutting a corner thats just good design......

Of course it is, don't you build your own equipment?
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries