Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: speakers and amp set ups

nigelwright7557

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Of course it is, don't you build your own equipment?
    Yes I do.

My current build is a 1000watts RMS amplifier.

Do you have any pictures of this amp???

nigelwright7557

Quote Originally Posted by KMA Disco View Post
    Do you have any pictures of this amp???
    Sorry no.

Is it possible for you to take one???

nigelwright7557

Quote Originally Posted by KMA Disco View Post
    Is it possible for you to take one???
    Its at the breadboard stage at the moment so is just a rats nest of wires.

I might pop a picture up when its finished.

Not quite sure what a pictrue will tell you, its the performance that is the important thing not the box it is in.............

nigelwright7557

Quote Originally Posted by colint View Post
    From the above post from Nigel:
    I use a 600 watts RMS amp with 1000 watts RMS of speakers.
    I can completely thottle the amp and it just distorts if driven too hard.
    Thats becasue the power supply has run out of steam.
    In fact I like the sound that MOSFETS give when overdriven.
    Its a much rawer sound a bit like the valve guitar amps that are so popular for their overdriven sound.

Why has it never blown up ?
    Coz I designed and built it myself not to blow up.
    No corners were cut in the design unlike a lot of pro gear which is built down to a price.

You need to take into account I am not just a DJ but also a guitarist too.
    Clipping for a disco is a big no no.
    Overdriving for a guitarist is very welcome.
    Hence my system is designed for both.

Even my valve mixer is designed for both. Two stereo channels for CD players, a mic input and a high gain input for my electric guitar.

Hello Nigel I must admit I was a little supprised at your reply being as the post was so long ago?
    it has been quite a while since I have logged on to MDD! (for my own reasons)
    what supprises me even more is your vast aray of talent's Dj, electronics engineer, software designer, carer the list is endless!
    is there any chance that we could see some of this equipment you have built/designed, being "in the sound trade" for over 35 years I would be very interested in seeing some of your equipment?

Edit, sorry I forgot guitarist
    Last edited by colint; 10-10-2008 at 09:53 PM.
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

nigelwright7557

Hello Nigel I must admit I was a little supprised at your reply being as the post was so long ago?
    it has been quite a while since I have logged on to MDD! (for my own reasons)
    what supprises me even more is your vast aray of talent's Dj, electronics engineer, software designer, carer the list is endless!
    is there any chance that we could see some of this equipment you have built/designed, being "in the sound trade" for over 35 years I would be very interested in seeing some of your equipment?
    I dont really want to start taking equipment apart to take photos.
    The amps are in PC cases to use the power sockets and fan mountings etc.
    My mixer is just a metal box with a valve mounted on the top.
    The speakers are just front loaded speakers and look like any other you can buy.

My background is in electronic design, I was a design consultant for many years and also a Chief engineer with an electronics company. During that time I not only designed electronic systems but also wrote stacks of software.
    As well as designing my own amps, mixers and speaker boxes I also write and sell software for designing printed circuit boards. See: www.murtonpikesystems.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
    I dont really want to start taking equipment apart to take photos.
    The amps are in PC cases to use the power sockets and fan mountings etc.
    My mixer is just a metal box with a valve mounted on the top.
    The speakers are just front loaded speakers and look like any other you can buy.

My background is in electronic design, I was a design consultant for many years and also a Chief engineer with an electronics company. During that time I not only designed electronic systems but also wrote stacks of software.
    As well as designing my own amps, mixers and speaker boxes I also write and sell software for designing printed circuit boards. See: www.murtonpikesystems.co.uk

Forgive me for pointing it out, but the speaker in your avitar (that you say you designed) is a bandpass box not a front loaded cab, you seem to be very reluctant to show anyone on MDD the work you are so proud of? could there be a reason for this?
    the first amplifier I put together was a 10 watt per channel stereo unit that was total tosh! but I was so proud of it I still have it today (it 35 years old) it still works (just) and is a mass or wires and componants, but in a small neat metal box, almost everyone that has entered my workshop has been shown this sad little amp because it was my first attempt (and last) at electronic's
    I find it a little strange you are so reluctant to show of your work in an industry where most of us are "show off's"
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

nigelwright7557

I find it a little strange you are so reluctant to show of your work in an industry where most of us are "show off's"
    You will find some of my own gear here:

http://www.ckp-railways.talktalk.net/proof.htm

Most of the speaker boxes parts are from Maplin like grill, corners etc.

The PC enclosures are off ebay second hand.

The valve mixer parts are mostly from Maplin.
    The ECC83 valve is courtesy of RS components.

I have 7 self build loudspeaker boxes and 3 home mande amps.
    Last edited by nigelwright7557; 10-10-2008 at 10:33 PM.