Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Should i go Mackie

Default Should i go Mackie

I am just a click away from buying a pair of mackie srm 450s what is holding me back at the moment is,

1) People talk about the heat problem the reason for my concern is the the function room at my residency tends to be very warm.

2) Some people say there is not enough bass and the last thing i want to do is use a sub.

At the moment i run a pair of peavey eurosys 3 which are rated at 300 watts each, the function room is not huge and my audience is normaly between 100 to 150 people which my present system is adequate for all be it i run it just below full power.
    I do not use huge amounts of bass, just what you would call a normal amount
    I know a speaker sound is a personal thing and you should listen to them first but its finding somewhere to demo them, but there must be enough people on here I'm sure that use them that my be able to answer my concerns.
    I am not looking to open a debate about other active speakers as i feel it is Mackie or stay as i am.
    The main reason for an active system is to cut down on equipment all be it only 2 amps and the odd cable but as Tesco say every little helps.
    I look forward to your responses

Quote Originally Posted by good vibrations View Post
    I am just a click away from buying a pair of mackie srm 450s what is holding me back at the moment is,

1) People talk about the heat problem the reason for my concern is the the function room at my residency tends to be very warm.

2) Some people say there is not enough bass and the last thing i want to do is use a sub.

At the moment i run a pair of peavey eurosys 3 which are rated at 300 watts each, the function room is not huge and my audience is normaly between 100 to 150 people which my present system is adequate for all be it i run it just below full power.
    I do not use huge amounts of bass, just what you would call a normal amount
    I know a speaker sound is a personal thing and you should listen to them first but its finding somewhere to demo them, but there must be enough people on here I'm sure that use them that my be able to answer my concerns.
    I am not looking to open a debate about other active speakers as i feel it is Mackie or stay as i am.
    The main reason for an active system is to cut down on equipment all be it only 2 amps and the odd cable but as Tesco say every little helps.
    I look forward to your responses
    I have no personal experience of working with Mackies, but many on here have, Twinspin, Darren, Jay Dee and many others. They love them, and when I have heard them, they do indeed sound good. However, if you intend not to use subs, they have 12" drivers rather than 15", so bass response would be theoretically less good. How do you cut out two amps, are you one amp per speaker? I ran a pair of Eurosys 3's for a long time, and loved them from day one. You may not actually lose any cables as far as I understand it. If you like your Peaveys, fine. If you simply wanted a power increase, I would give an opinion, but since I'm getting a little predictable, I won't.

I'm sure others will be along soon with their considered opinions. Good luck.

Edit. I see you are in York, I can't demo Mackies for you, but I can demo a low cost passive speaker, nudge nudge, wink wink.

Well .... i used to use a pair of eurosys 500 speakers before my srm450s and the latter gives a much more punchy bass end in my opinion . i have a sub but find the sound from the 450s enough for alot of places.

on over heating one of my 450s has overheated on a single occasion where a little snot kept leaning over and turning up the volume , the room was upstairs with no windows etc. you can buy fans that attach to the heat sinc if you are that worried but im not sure how good these are or if it is advisable to use them , maybe a normal fan behind you that oscillates may be enough?

ive never had an issue with my mackis and highly recommend them.
    The only answer for functions in the midlands ...... Dragonfly mobile Discos Roadshow DJ services entertainment ..... call for a quote

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Well .... i used to use a pair of eurosys 500 speakers before my srm450s and the latter gives a much more punchy bass end in my opinion . i have a sub but find the sound from the 450s enough for alot of places.

That's me told then!

Thanks Excalibur the reason for 2 amps one is a spare

I run SRM 450's up top and Peavey Clubsys (Messenger UL 15"s) down below.

Best of both worlds - sounds like a 3kW hi-fi with the addition of a cheapo 15 band graphic EQ. Critics of them say they sound harsh / trebly - if you have no EQ on your system then don't bother buying them, but if you do then just knock the sliders down a little on the 5k - 10k end to fix that problem.

I did a function in the summer last year with only the SRM 450's and thought the bass was a bit lacking... until I went downstairs to the loo and heard them thumping away - upstairs, on stands!

If you are concerned about bass and only wanting to run 1 set, go for some active 15"s ... however if you have just those and they thermal out, it's going to be quiet for a bit... I'd never run just one set of speakers without having a backup set with me.

Have had no problems with mine overheating so far, including Xmas parties where the sweat was rolling off me.

I like my 450's, but I personally find them a bit lacking in the bass department.

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ View Post
    I like my 450's, but I personally find them a bit lacking in the bass department.
    You could say a bit inadequate downstairs, eh Shaun
    - Will Perkins
    Virtual Sights - Professional DJ and Technical Services
    www.virtualsights.co.uk - 0800 8600 195
    Covering the entire south east and further.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post

on over heating one of my 450s has overheated on a single occasion where a little snot kept leaning over and turning up the volume , the room was upstairs with no windows etc. you can buy fans that attach to the heat sinc if you are that worried but im not sure how good these are or if it is advisable to use them , maybe a normal fan behind you that oscillates may be enough?

You seem to be coming across a lot of little snots in your travels Dave--yesterday they were pulling out the mains lead---do you advertise for
    them

The controls are in the cabinets I guess --so I suppose thats an extra security risk with uncontrolled kids

CRAZY K

pulsemobiledisco

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ View Post
    I use the passive version of the SRM450 (C300z). They are the same speaker but without the built in amp, and I agree with Shaun. I do find them to lack a little bass. I have added a DB Sub 15 to them and now have more bass than I can ever imagine I will need!