Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Should i go Mackie

Will try that let you know thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    agreed !!! every time i see a boy racer in a corsa i have to relent to the overwhelming urge to wind the window down and scream "IT'S JUST A CORSA!!!!"
    oi....i have a corsa. i dont race people i just time myself how quickly i can get my hand from the 10-2 position to the radio, turn it up and back to 10-2 again.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Is that after you blow them away in your 1.1 Fiesta?
    Mines a 1.2i. The i makes all the difference. lol.

Took the mains transformer out and yes you where right it stopped the noise so if the ground loop hasnt stopped it then could it be my sound card if so which card do you recomend

Quote Originally Posted by good vibrations View Post
    Took the mains transformer out and yes you where right it stopped the noise so if the ground loop hasnt stopped it then could it be my sound card if so which card do you recomend
    Before you buy, please don't think this will guarantee your problem will go. I would honestly try a couple of ground loop isolators first - I know you said you have use the same sort of thing, so perhaps you can post up what they are before we go any further with this?

I'd hate to recommend a sound card only to find the same problem with it.

I do not have any kind of buzz or hum on the mic channels.
    It is only the channel with my music the DTI which i have spoken about is a ground loop isolator which is brand new £35 so not a cheap one do you suggest me trying a different one

Never had this problem when using my passive speaker set up
    I bought a new mixer at the same time as the speackers would this have any effect
    Last edited by good vibrations; 08-02-2008 at 11:19 PM.

Seems a bit on the expensive side for a ground loop isolator.
    The soundblaster audigy is a good soundcard for games and for general music applications but not good for disco applications. I have heard of many people having problems with them in live gigs. I know it is expensive but a soundcard designed for disco and p.a applications would be better.
    Not saying this would help current problem but may solve other problems you don't know you have yet. A couple of ways to get rid of hum from actives you can try some or all of the following im sure others will come up with more but heres my list:
    1. Make sure your speakers are on a different mains circuit to your mixer and decks.
    2. Make sure you use shielded cables on your signal leads. I didnt once and it took ages to track down the problem.
    3. Try different leads mains and signal and see if it stops.
    4. Use a ground loop isolator on each signal lead seperately.
    5. Make sure that the mains cable to each speaker is not wound around or running to close to the signal cable (this always creates hum)
    5. Check e.q mackies are on the trebly side so simply turning them down a bit on the upper and mid can fix some of this.
    6. Check your decks to mixer cables are ok and not tangled with any mains cables. Try unplugging them and checking the system this will also tell you where the ground loop is occuring.
    7. Unplug the mixer from the signal leads to the speakers and see if the hum stops.

It is also not unkown for transformers to hum when they have a fault. I had an led par that did this and whenever it was on made a hum also a mic with same problem. Turned out the mic had been wired wrong and the par had a faulty transformer. Got it changed and now no hum.
    Last edited by spin mobile disco; 08-02-2008 at 11:46 PM.
    When the world ends , ill probably have to clean up the mess.

Tell me about it didnt really know much about them until now live and learn. and still have the buzz/humm

Forgot to say laptops are not earthed and can cause problems in a disco enviroment. Can be fixed by battery mode or running a soundcard that has an external power supply.

Had a look back at some of the earlier threads in this post just to get some history on the problem and someone said about how much you spend on your sound system. Thsi is actually quite interesting (maybe only to me) but it made me think about how much our playout systems cost us.
    About 3 years ago I cam back to DJ'ng after a short break. As I had not much money I bought some skytec speakers some cables from maplin for connecting and ran them from my old BMS amp. Whole playout system (amp down this is not counting mixer or decks) cost about £300 to put together.
    And to be honest it sounded pretty good. In fact in some ways I would consider the quality as good or better than my current setup. I know they were cheap parts but they sounded good and lasted me over a year. They didnt break I just decided to upgrade.

My new playout system consists of 2 mackie c300z's, 1 db sub15 , 2 rse amplifiers. The book value on this system is about £3000. But although it can fill larger venue's than the old system and it is all branded products I dont really feel that it sounds any better than the cheap setup I had before. Maybe louder (well ok definatly louder) and cost 10 times the amount but I doubt it will really last much longer in the long run than the cheap stuff would have done if treated right.
    Any one else worked out how much there system would cost? not willy waving here just interested in comments . Did you spend a fortune and wish you didnt, or maybe bought cheap speakers and are glad you did?

my speakers come to just under £1000 for a 1.6k rig. Thats 2 speakers from studiospares (said in another recent thread) and 1 db sub 15. Can cater for 600 people in a meduim sized hall believe it or not.

i dont think thats willy waving. just saying the truth.