Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Allen & Heath any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    You given up mobile work then?
    Oh, no, don't think I ever will! Just toned it down to maybe one booking a month on average, as I found I wasn't enjoying it as much when I was out every weekend (I think I mentioned somethign about it on here a few months ago). I also help out friends, and cover as a backup DJ at a couple of clubs, so I'm still out most weeks.

Anyway, my point was (and talking from experience) - I've been there and done that carrying around massive flightcases with multiple decks and mixers, and other fundamentally unnecessary equipment... you don't mind as much if you only do a gig here and there, but you start to seriously reconsider if you're heaving it about every night!

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    Anyway, my point was (and talking from experience) - I've been there and done that carrying around massive flightcases with multiple decks and mixers, and other fundamentally unnecessary equipment... you don't mind as much if you only do a gig here and there, but you start to seriously reconsider if you're heaving it about every night!
    Hmmm. I have always considered that as part of the job and although I don't love it, it's never really bothered me. (talking from considerably more experience )

When you're out every weekend lugging equipment around (as I once was, not anymore thank goodness ), you'll realise why most DJs use compact 4U mixers and 2U CD decks
    I understand what you are saying. I have a 5u mixer in my rack. but my rack is a massive one with everything in it, and soon ill have draws in it so i can carry more stuff without taking up more space.

Hmmm. I have always considered that as part of the job and although I don't love it, it's never really bothered me. (talking from considerably more experience )
    So you would happily carry around an 8U mixer over a 4U mixer? I had a big Gator case that had 10U on top, and 6U underneath, and although I only had an amp, decks and mixer in it most of the time, the size coupled with the weight made it very dangerous to move around. In terms of business, think 'risk assessment' - where would we be if we damaged our spines, for example?

So you would happily carry around an 8U mixer over a 4U mixer? I had a big Gator case that had 10U on top, and 6U underneath, and although I only had an amp, decks and mixer in it most of the time, the size coupled with the weight made it very dangerous to move around. In terms of business, think 'risk assessment' - where would we be if we damaged our spines, for example?
    Oh come on Callum. You're a young man and you've given up mobile DJing every week 'cos the gear is too heavy?

What is the world coming to....

My deck now is probably about 35Kg and the Mackie subs are 40Kg. There are trolleys about if you can't or won't lift things about.

I used to carry about bread crates full of 100s of 12" singles when I was younger and they must have weighed in at over 50Kg.

It's part and parcel fo the job, always has been and always will be.

Oh come on Callum. You're a young man and you've given up mobile DJing every week 'cos the gear is too heavy?

My deck now is probably about 35Kg and the Mackie subs are 40Kg. There are trolleys about if you can't or won't lift things about.

I used to carry about bread crates full of 100s of 12" singles when I was younger and they must have weighed in at over 50Kg.

That's not what I said, I said I cut down on it because I wasn't enjoying it as much when I was out every weekend doing the same thing, playing the same tracks (re: the 'out of date tunes' thread). There were varying reasons, moving equipment is only an issue in difficult venues (stairs, narrow corridors/doorways etc).

I didn't want to go off topic (too late), but the mixer 'sizes' got me started

Indeed now I have a disability that means I have a decidedly dodgy back and legs one of which hasnt functioned for over 4 months with no sign of improvement , however I have tried to design an effective and quality show using the lightest equipment possible I adapt and change things to suit my changing ability , yes I have help with carrying lifting etc in the form of some great friends and family but .... if I was left in a hole for whatever reason the show has been designed so I can at a real push do it on my own ......indeed I can't walk for 3 days after but I can get through a night.

heavy gear is part of the job as most of the top quality stuff is quite heavy but I don't think I'd carry something about that wasn't needed for a particular function , that said i now have a space in my flightcase with my mixer as the cortex has left the building

I guess my point is that it doesnt need to be heavy to be good.
    The only answer for functions in the midlands ...... Dragonfly mobile Discos Roadshow DJ services entertainment ..... call for a quote

That's not what I said, I said I cut down on it because I wasn't enjoying it as much when I was out every weekend doing the same thing, playing the same tracks

OK, I took your post the wrong way then that said...

Which I thought was the reason you were doing so much mobile stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    How big's your rack?!?!?!?!?!?

I had enough trouble getting a 5U mixer in mine! (sorted now, thanks to Denon)
    My mixer rack is Road Ready 11u custom case for the Xone 3d and is easily manageable. I use a combination of Denon 3500s in seperate cases or Technics decks.

I'm oldskool and used to the vinyl style of dj'ing, just cant get that from a twin deck.

I would feel extremely frustrated with anything less.
    Northamptonshires Premier Video Disco • Northamptonshire based PAT Testing
    -----
    Pioneer DJM 2000, Apple MacBook Pro 17", 2 x Pioneer CDJ 1000 Mk III, 2 x Technics SL1210, Virtual DJ

The desk type mixers are only a real problem if powerd as they are heavy, but if you get the unpowerd then all your actually looking at size wise for say a 10-14 channel mixer that covers everything is a lightweight case the size of one of the alloy cases bought from B&Q