Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: buzzing on speakers

Default buzzing on speakers

Ok following on from the should i go Mackie thread I have got some now. I am getting a buzzing through the speaker have put in a good quality ground loop which has taken the volume of the buzzing down about 90% I know the buzzing only happens when I plug the laptop mains in. So when the music is playing it will drown out the buzzing do I leave it at that , or is there anything else I can do.
    Does the sound card make any difference I am presently using a sound blaster usb external card which I have used successfully for the past 4 years on my old passive system and never had any interference noise.

Cheers Pete

Are you using balanced cables between your mixer and speakers?

Yes and phono cables from sound card to mixer

Are the ground loop isolators between the laptop sound card and mixer? (they should be)
    It might be worth putting some between the mixer and powered speakers as well. It will mean using unbalanced cables, but could be worth the test.
    Simon (Grumpy old man) - and proud of it

Under normal circumstances you'll always get a slight buzz or hiss unless you have paid a lot of money for your gear.

Are you sure it's really that audible?

I know that when I had problems with ground loop I became paranoid about any little sound or noise I heard.

Try a different DC adaptor for the laptop.

I'd been pulling what's left of my hair out for weeks trying to get rid of a buzz, changed the power pack, job done. Absolutely no idea why, they were both identical, same make and model, but one causes a buzz and the other doesn't Put both through PAT came out clean too. Ho hum.

Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post
    Try a different DC adaptor for the laptop.

I'd been pulling what's left of my hair out for weeks trying to get rid of a buzz, changed the power pack, job done. Absolutely no idea why, they were both identical, same make and model, but one causes a buzz and the other doesn't Put both through PAT came out clean too. Ho hum.
    I've had 5 laptops in the last few years and every one has needed a GLI until the Sony Vaio I have at the moment for gigging with. I didn't even know until I tried it with the new Pioneer mixer. I thought I'd try it without and it was fine.

i would say it is a slight buzzing put if you put the slidders up to maximum its very loud, and yes ground loop between card and mixer

I have an active system plus i use a laptop and i never have this problem. I think it could be either the external soundcard. Or you have your active speakers turned up to the max.

speakers set a 12
    think i will try my old mixer and 1/4 jack to xlr cable as the mackies only have xlr input