Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting up a laptop karaoke setup?

I now use this

http://www.latshawsystems.com/Produc...leManager.aspx

to manage all my files and this

http://www.latshawsystems.com/Produc...Generator.aspx

to print out my songbooks, as it goes through what is on your drive rather than what discs you tick in the earlier posted airwer songbook creator.

Hi h8ytr,
    All excellent tips. Have downloaded the trial versions of these to see how they work and looks promising.

Have resolved myself to having to go through all the disks. I guess it's only got to be done once hasn't it.

Thanks again

the good thing is, that a lot of the programs let you play from CDG disc, so if your drive is compatible, you can start using the program now, using a combination of CDG and MP3+G...ripping away at night or the weekends...

Quote Originally Posted by spudcooper View Post

That is a lot of discs to plough through. you should know that to my knowlege its ilegal to run karaoke via laptop at this present time.
    tell me if i'm wrong on this one.

be a shame to spend days doing this then not being ablt to use them.
    Yes and no.
    If you can legitemitly buy tracks for use on a digital system, like buying mp3's, then I guess it's legal. Otherwise there is yet any legal way to convert from disc. The current Digital DJ licence definately does not allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by KaraokeCary View Post
    Hi,
    I'm aware that it is "Technically" illegal, and it is a technicallity as long as you have the original disks in your possession. One reason why I can't take advantage of some of the MP3+G dvd offers that are around. I am sure when the powers that be finally get their act together, laptop karaoke will get the all clear, albeit with the proviso that you must own the original disks.
    Thanks for the link though.
    URBAN MYTH! Same as the belief that you could copy music CD's if you had the original.
    You are thinking of the 'Fair Use' clause, which exists in the USA and just about every other country on the planet, except the UK!!!
    For those of us converting music CD's, the authorities are currently turning a blind eye as there is no current fully legal way of doing it, and the parties involved are dragging their feet trying to sort it out.
    As I've mentioned the current half-baked meaningless Digital DJ licence specifically excludes karaoke anyway.

So it is currently illegal to be copying (in anyway whatsoever including ripping to laptop) your SunFly (or equiv) discs.
    Simon (Grumpy old man) - and proud of it

And it is also illegal to copy a CD and use it for DJing too as it stands. People seem to forget that when they start talking about how illegal it is to do the same for karaoke discs.

When the new license comes out I'm sure karaoke will be taken into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    And it is also illegal to copy a CD and use it for DJing too as it stands. People seem to forget that when they start talking about how illegal it is to do the same for karaoke discs.

When the new license comes out I'm sure karaoke will be taken into consideration.
    Exactly Daz.

I'm believe the LWP are arguing to get karaoke included in whatever licences they come up with, otherwise it will be another half-assed job again!
    Simon (Grumpy old man) - and proud of it

I was wondering when the legalities of using a laptop-based system would come up. Don't get me wrong - it's a valid point but I feel that it's a crazy situation regarding the legality of using computer systems to run our shows. The UK government has targets to get everyone online and computer-friendly yet they throw so many obstacles in our way when all we want to do is make our jobs a bit easier and entertain people better. I really don't know why computer-based karaoke was excluded from the initial Digital DJ Licence in the first place.

Anyway, why is this site promoting a laptop (the 00DJ on the main forums page) when it is potentially encouraging it's users to break the law? Not only that, but at the bottom of this page, there is a link to a piece of software which lets its users remove vocals from cds. Isn't this also against copyright laws in the fact that you need the "specific clearance of the copyright owner" to perform such an action? Unless, of course, the copyright holder died over 70 years ago then the copyright will have expired.

Anybody have any music from the mid 1800's that I can have a play with?!?
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by sleah View Post
    Exactly Daz.

I'm believe the LWP are arguing to get karaoke included in whatever licences they come up with, otherwise it will be another half-assed job again!
    Darren ought to know, he's on the LWP.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Anyway, why is this site promoting a laptop (the 00DJ on the main forums page) when it is potentially encouraging it's users to break the law?
    We are not encouraging anyone to break the law and perhaps you might like to re-phrase your posts a bit better.

You could use thee OODJ with downloads only at a private function and not need a license at all - did you think about that?

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Not only that, but at the bottom of this page, there is a link to a piece of software which lets its users remove vocals from cds.
    And if you read it again, you'll find the ads are from Google which we have no control over. Of course if you prefer, we can take the ads off and charge eveyone a fee for using the site to cover our costs.

I wholeheartedly apologize for my earlier post. It was a bit harsh. As a businessman I do realize that you need to cover the costs of running the site with advertising. I just get a bit annoyed at times with the way legislation is slowing down progress in our industry. Whilst the law-abiding ones among us are waiting for things to get sorted, those not-so-law-abiding ones are coming in with laptop-based systems (probably no PLI, PAT and using illegal music) and taking the gigs. I accept that I shouldn't be directing my annoyances at the site.

However, my biggest concern is the length of time that the whole Digital DJ licence process is taking. I'm sure it gets to you too, Darren, as a member of the LWP. I've read that there have been heated debates between the groups involved. I'm also sure you wish it was all sorted by now. I just want to be able to buy a licence that covers me legally for the job I do (disco & karaoke) and lets me get on with entertaining people.

As for running the site, I think you guys do a great job. I have probably learned more in the last 13 months that I have used the site than I have from experience over the last nine years from other sources. Because of that, I would pay to subscribe to such an excellent resource of info. I'm sure, though, that a paid-for forum would put a lot of people off and we'd lose some vital sources of help and info.

As for the comment about having no control over the ads that Google AdSense displays, this was the reason I rejected that particular method of advertising on my own site. Obviously, these adverts must work for you cos I usually read them and have been known to click a few!

Anyway, sorry for causing any offence - i'll make sure I make my opinions more reader-friendly in the future.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!