Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Web site redesigned. Open to critics!!! Be gentle please!

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Not pedantic, just pointing out the rules.
    It worked - pedantic or not - is my signature ok now?
    Martin

STARFLY DISCO
    Mobile Disco for Weddings, Private Parties, Charity & Community Events and Corporate Functions in Lincolnshire, North East & North Lincolnshire, South Yorkshire, Cambridgeshire, Rutland (Leicestershire).

Hya Martin overall very good in its design and simplicity, loads fast too which is a huge bonus.
    I agree that the images are a bit small so probably use a method of the option of enlarging them but does the job intended.
    As for how much feedback you have etc. I dont personally see that as a particular problem as it may well work in your favour, for future feedback it may be worth using a couple of images from the respective events of feedback in conjunction to help illustrate.

Overall though you have a very good informative, easy to navigate and pleasant to look at website which I reckon will do as it was intended very well indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by KaraokeDJ View Post
    It worked - pedantic or not - is my signature ok now?
    Yep!
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

I think it's a nice site, has a classy look to it. Just a few (picky) points: -

1. The header should link back to the home page all the time (just one of those things people expect in navigation).

2. The header has no alt or title tag.

3. You've underlined great reputation on your home page. I tend not to underline things on websites as visitors expect anything underlined to be a link to somewhere else. Use bold to emphasise any text.

4. As others have pointed out, there seems to be an overlap with testimonials and feedback, resulting in a never ending loop between them. Additionally, your feedback forms break out of your page design altogether, it'd be nice if these were wrapped with the header / navigation / footer to match the rest of the site.

5. As already mentioned, gallery pics would be better enlarged - there are countless free PHP (or even CSS) Photo Gallery scripts around which you could use.

Quote Originally Posted by JayDeeDrinker View Post
    The main thing: Check and double check your spelling - "lights how" ...
    Thanks for spotting that. I've fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    ... over-emphasizes customer feedback. ... and the FAQ page also has 5 links to more customer feedback!
    Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post
    the customer feedback - yes it's great to have and a good sales tool, but it's too prevalent.
    I've taken 4 of the 5 links out of the FAQ page. I am a big fan of feedback and testimonials but I do see your point, the site does rant about previous customers a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    Secondly, the photos on the gallery page are quite small & not that easy to see. I think it would be better if clicking on each one brought up a larger version.
    The pics in the photo gallery don't expand? Is that intentional or haven't you got to that yet? As they are, they're too small.
    There are plenty of nice simple 'hover' scripts around that might be a good alternative.
    That is something I need to work on. I know there are loads of ways of doing it but haven't got to it yet. I'm not surprised that was mentioned.

PAT/PLI stuff being categorised as "Legal" . . . I'm the first person to flag-wave about PAT & PLI but maybe rethink the category title - 'Safety' perhaps?
    Good point, changed to "Safety".

Combine 'feedback' and 'testimonials' into a single page? The FAQ's page is hard work and I gave up after a couple of para's. Find a more visually appealing way of presenting the detail.
    Maybe I need to strip that page down a lot! Thanks for the comment about it.

Have you considered an 0800 or 0845 number that you can divert to mobile/landline/Martin/Donna as appropriate? Then you could simply say "Call XXXX Anytime" rather than giving the potential customer rules about when and who to call.
    I'm considering that. I have, in the meantime, removed the blurb about times that we are at the landline etc.,

Do general web surfers need to know your postal address?
    Another good point, I've just removed it.

I think the enquiry form is a bit light... there's merit in keeping it short & simple but you could take it a bit further.
    What more do I really need to ask?

Why brown text?
    If it bothers you it might bother other people and therefore I've changed the bulk of text to 'easy on the eye' black.

Quote Originally Posted by KARL-D View Post
    Hya Martin overall very good in its design and simplicity, loads fast too which is a huge bonus.
    I agree that the images are a bit small so probably use a method of the option of enlarging them but does the job intended.
    As for how much feedback you have etc. I dont personally see that as a particular problem as it may well work in your favour, for future feedback it may be worth using a couple of images from the respective events of feedback in conjunction to help illustrate.
    Thanks for the compliments (Karl) and for the great constructive advice to everyone. As you can see - I do listen!
    Martin

STARFLY DISCO
    Mobile Disco for Weddings, Private Parties, Charity & Community Events and Corporate Functions in Lincolnshire, North East & North Lincolnshire, South Yorkshire, Cambridgeshire, Rutland (Leicestershire).

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    I think it's a nice site, has a classy look to it. Just a few (picky) points: -
    Thank you.

1. The header should link back to the home page all the time (just one of those things people expect in navigation).
    2. The header has no alt or title tag.
    3. You've underlined great reputation on your home page. I tend not to underline things on websites as visitors expect anything underlined to be a link to somewhere else. Use bold to emphasise any text.
    All three of the above have now been rectified. Thank you for the suggestions.

4...your feedback forms break out of your page design altogether, it'd be nice if these were wrapped with the header / navigation / footer to match the rest of the site.
    Yes, I need to do that because it does spoil it when the image of the feedback comes in an otherwise empty window.

5. there are countless free PHP (or even CSS) Photo Gallery scripts around which you could use.
    I am looking for one that will do the job. I am trying to stay away from Flash and all the extra plugins required.
    Martin

STARFLY DISCO

You've missed the style sheet tags on the ---

"Home | Contact Details

All content copyright 2008 Martin Koss

UK Wedding Directory"

--- parts at the bottom of each page, meaning they appear in default Times New Roman in contrast to the rest of the page.

More Meta Tags for them search engines as well!