Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 481 of 564 FirstFirst ... 381431471479480481482483491531 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,810 of 5634

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    One thing I have noticed recently is that I'm being asked for less and less of my 'interaction' during the all day events - will see if there's any trend forming.
    well hope not! There is a big difference between simply using the mic and running what amount to Party Games, though. Room for all tastes there.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    It's a DEFINITE trend at the moment.

For some reason, I rarely get to meet my couples before the day now (and it's not for the want of trying), so one of the questions on my planning forms in DJEP asks about interaction with the guests. More and more of them are saying "Important announcements only".

In fact my wedding next weekend has provided the entire playlist (and some....it's 14 hours long ), insisted no requests and no using the mic apart from last orders and time at the bar

Looks like I'm a reassuringly expensive iPod for the night then
    Sounds like a job for Nigel*, then.

* For our newer readers, Nigel was the acknowledged King of the iPod Disco. He may have mentioned it once or twice on here.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

One thing I'm noticing is requests for a lack of ANY interaction from anybody. Here's a big playlist, stick to it or else - and don't take any requests! Hmmm. Very much not my kind of thing. Rubs me all up the wrong way. It's my party & I'll cry if I want to aka "I'm a little princess". I see that kind of gig more of a role of diplomat than DJ (well no, you can't just ask me to play a song, cos she implied you've all got crap taste in music).

I've got a birthday party this Saturday which is a private booking at a nice rate in a nice venue & it's got 90 must play requests from the birthday girl. All but 5 of them would be on my own playlist if I ever made one so I'm looking forward to it like crazy. What could possibly go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    I see that kind of gig more of a role of diplomat than DJ (well no, you can't just ask me to play a song, cos she implied you've all got crap taste in music).
    The playlist for my wedding on Saturday was interesting because the guests got properly involved before the night and submitted about 120 requests through my website. The bride subsequently logged in and deleted a good number of them and re-categorised the rest to the "Do not play" section of the playlist!! Luckily the "Must plays" contained enough good stuff to keep everyone happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    I've got a birthday party this Saturday which is a private booking at a nice rate in a nice venue & it's got 90 must play requests from the birthday girl. All but 5 of them would be on my own playlist if I ever made one so I'm looking forward to it like crazy. What could possibly go wrong?
    The guests could all have very different music tastes to you and the birthday girl...? I've had a few like this before where I've looked at the playlist before the night and loved it, and then the guests have had totally different ideas on the night.

The playlist for my wedding this coming Friday has a big list of "Do not plays" including anything by:

Michael Jackson
    Abba
    BeeGees
    Celine Dion
    Duran Duran
    Madonna
    Eminem
    50 Cent
    Queen

Honestly, I'm not too sad about that with the exception of Michael Jackson and Queen.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    The playlist for my wedding this coming Friday has a big list of "Do not plays" including anything by:

Michael Jackson
    Abba
    BeeGees
    Celine Dion
    Duran Duran
    Madonna
    Eminem
    50 Cent
    Queen

Honestly, I'm not too sad about that with the exception of Michael Jackson and Queen.

Julian
    With the exception of Emimem and 50 cent, that's my standard playlist up the bucket then

Oh hang about, can't see Steps, S-Club 7 or Whitney on there....should be OK then

Fantastic gig on Saturday - having met the couple I knew it would be but it really was great.

Got some really nice humbling feedback too

Name:  IMG_20180813_085155.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  37.0 KB

With the exception of Emimem and 50 cent, that's my standard playlist up the bucket then

Oh hang about, can't see Steps, S-Club 7 or Whitney on there....should be OK then
    Piece of cake then. I've just picked one up with No 50's, 60's, Soul Motown, Country, or cotton eye joe, hey baby by DJ Otzi or Gangnam Style.
    Surprisingly, in light of the bans: Please can you play the following:
    * Saturday Night
    * Macarena
    *Reach by S Club 7
    *we like to party (the vengabus)

I am allowed, nay positively encouraged to play Abba, Queen and the Jacksons early on, and the last part of the night is intended to be 90's dance, which I rather like, I must admit.

Anyhoo,

Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    The playlist for my wedding on Saturday was interesting because the guests got properly involved before the night and submitted about 120 requests through my website. The bride subsequently logged in and deleted a good number of them and re-categorised the rest to the "Do not play" section of the playlist!! Luckily the "Must plays" contained enough good stuff to keep everyone happy.

The guests could all have very different music tastes to you and the birthday girl...? I've had a few like this before where I've looked at the playlist before the night and loved it, and then the guests have had totally different ideas on the night.

Michael Jackson
    Abba
    BeeGees
    Celine Dion
    Duran Duran
    Madonna
    Eminem
    50 Cent
    Queen

Julian
    I do the odd walkin for a mate of mine & his customers' "do not play" lists usually amount to one song no DJ in their right mind would ever play off their own bat. What, no Middle Of The Road Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep? Awww but that's my main jam!

Unless you're over Middlesbrough way, who the hell is gonna be playing Celine frickin Dion anyway?

As for the guests having a different idea on Saturday yes that's my fear of course. On the other hand we could end up with a nice little funky house laden jamboree! Keeping everything crossed!

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

I had a client meeting a couple of weeks ago where the bride, over the course of ten minutes, stated that she didn't want Dance, Pop, RnB, Rock or Indie.

I managed to narrow down exactly what she wanted to avoid after pointing out to her that it'll be a very quiet disco if I'm not allowed to play any songs.

Hmm....I can see a thread all of it's own appearing here along the lines of Client Playlist Expectations and their rights and wrongs.

Peter????

Hmm....I can see a thread all of it's own appearing here along the lines of Client Playlist Expectations and their rights and wrongs.

Peter????
    Or perhaps a tutorial on how to work with clients?