Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 542 of 564 FirstFirst ... 42442492532540541542543544552 ... LastLast
Results 5,411 to 5,420 of 5636

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Default My faith has been restored

After the seemingly eternal run of bad dance floors I've had during the hot weather (it's STILL not rained much in these here parts and is still over 25c most days), today was an absolute Godsend!

It's a venue I last visited just over a year ago and they don't do too many weddings as it's a privately owned estate. In fact, it used to be the HQ of Lotus cars. The grounds are gorgeous, with a river running down the side of them just to give that cooling effect.

Today's wedding was in a Tipi type of tent. And it was a LOT smaller than I was expecting. The arrangement I had with the bride and groom is that I'd turn up as the guests arrived, setup the Maui5Go with a battery mic and let them run the afternoon side of things (including Bluetooth connection to the PA) whilst I got on Ninja style and set up the main rig.

I made a mistake and arrived early - the plan being to get the main rig set up and go the extra mile in doing so rather than relying on Bluetooth connections and one of the wedding party faffing around with the music starting and stopping. The bar had taken the spot I would have naturally assumed. In the only other spot was a string quartet playing to the afternoon guests as they milled around outside the tent.

The other shock...I'd been told the dance floor was to be in the middle of the tent. Now I assumed as most would that it'd be between the tables in the middle of the floor but close to one of the walls. Nope...it was slap bang central in the tent with the top table on it - no way to set up beside it then.

So, once the quartet packed their belongings, it's time to set up. Only one other snag....the kit may have been under the ceiling of the tent....the DJ most certainly wasn't. And do you know what, working with no ceiling above you as it gets dark is quite refreshing!

The booth had to be physically tied to the tent poles as the afternoon's breeze was behind it, as were the lighting tripods just in case. I also took along my beloved Yamaha combo for this one. It's the first time it's been used since before the world went a bit fuzzy a couple of years ago, so the Evolves were in the van just in case something went wrong after being off the road for so long. The EVs could have stayed in the lockup...the Yammy's roared into life and didn't skip a beat (cue DJ with cheesy grin on his chops all night....I LOVE those speakers)

The afternoon of hanging around soon turned into the evening, and the first dance (scheduled for 8pm) eventually happened at 9pm. Not a problem, it means it's dark and I can see my screens. Just before the first dance the groom asked if I could play George Ezra's Paradise for his niece and nephew as the second song of the evening as they were then off to bed. No problem. In fact I announced it nicely for them and at the end of the song wished them goodnight over the PA. According to the bride and groom, they'll remember that for a long time (in fact I'd heard it being mentioned during a couple of conversations whilst packing down at the end of the night).

Musically, it was like shooting fish in a barrel. I could do no wrong. Requests came in aplenty, mainly 90s stuff but also a lot of disco and 80s. I also had a list of "must plays" which sort of went by the wayside since we were running so late. I don't think I went outside of the 120-130 BPM zone all night apart from Sex on Fire and Brightside. My mission was to fill the dance floor and I certainly accomplished that....right from start to finish - happy days

A fake ending to finish proceedings and a lot of thanks and hugs from the dignitaries of the day (including the brides parents who couldn't thank me enough....and the owner of said estate who I have a feeling will be recommending my services in the future).

I could do with a few more like that one

Next week, back to a barn I covered several weeks ago after the couple had been let down with a week's notice. This one's been on the books for several months now and I still have no idea of any musical preferences, the first dance or even his partner's name! This actually seems to be becoming a thing at the moment with me having to chase for even the basic information

Smile

Absolutely awful gig last night. I've had way better monday night weddings than the last two Saturdays. The problem: guests who didn't never intended to stay past the buffet. See also, guests playing a game of challenge the dj & out-weird each other's requests.

Mind, it didn't help that I had to try to shoehorn in some bagpipe music & ballads last night. Sigh. Happy customers though. Isn't that what all this is about?

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Absolutely awful gig last night. I've had way better monday night weddings than the last two Saturdays. The problem: guests who didn't never intended to stay past the buffet. See also, guests playing a game of challenge the dj & out-weird each other's requests.

Mind, it didn't help that I had to try to shoehorn in some bagpipe music & ballads last night. Sigh. Happy customers though. Isn't that what all this is about?
    I'll see your Bagpipes, and raise you an hour of 1920s top 100 songs.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I'll see your Bagpipes, and raise you an hour of 1920s top 100 songs.
    Ouch. Mind I did a prom a few years back with a nasty 2 hour meal playlist consisting of Edith Piaf & Charles Aznavour. Not that it hurt the vibe any.

Well simultaneously one of the most satisfying and frustrating gigs of the year.

Another 60th Birthday, another one where the birthday girl " loves Soul and Motown " ( this one did ) upstairs in a local hotel with a ludicrous car park. We had a 1920s theme as the birthday girl has a love of Art Deco, so flapper/gangster costumes abounded, and I played ( far too much ) 1920s music initially. It's a lovely room to work in ( once you've got the gear upstairs ) and ideal for smaller parties.

Note the use of the word " smaller". We had an early start and finish planned, although we were two hours in when the birthday girl arrived ( having missed all the music I played specially of course ) and one or two guests left around six or seven. ( They could easily have had other functions planned of course ) I did indeed play more Soul and Motown in one night than I've played in a year, so very satisfying. Frustrating in that we were low on numbers, and low on dancers.

Customers were very happy, as DJs I suppose we're guilty of setting high standards in our own minds that are hard to achieve. Guests had a great time, and regard it as a great party. I regard being home with a cup of Ronald's finest in my hand before Jeanette went to bed as a huge bonus, so not all disappointing.

Well simultaneously one of the most satisfying and frustrating gigs of the year.

upstairs in a local hotel with a ludicrous car park. .
    I give you a quality gig with a lift and enough room to park your Bus and you still moan!!

Another 60th Birthday, another one where the birthday girl " loves Soul and Motown " ( this one did ) upstairs in a local hotel with a ludicrous car park. We had a 1920s theme as the birthday girl has a love of Art Deco, so flapper/gangster costumes abounded, and I played ( far too much ) 1920s music initially. It's a lovely room to work in ( once you've got the gear upstairs ) and ideal for smaller parties.

Note the use of the word " smaller". We had an early start and finish planned, although we were two hours in when the birthday girl arrived ( having missed all the music I played specially of course ) and one or two guests left around six or seven. ( They could easily have had other functions planned of course ) I did indeed play more Soul and Motown in one night than I've played in a year, so very satisfying. Frustrating in that we were low on numbers, and low on dancers.

Customers were very happy, as DJs I suppose we're guilty of setting high standards in our own minds that are hard to achieve. Guests had a great time, and regard it as a great party. I regard being home with a cup of Ronald's finest in my hand before Jeanette went to bed as a huge bonus, so not all disappointing.
    Got yourself one of these right? https://www.screwfix.com/p/3-in-1-ha...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Great for long load ins, we use it to cart the magic mirror, chairs and all sorts. Bombproof.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by djdj View Post
    I give you a quality gig with a lift and enough room to park your Bus and you still moan!!
    Not to mention the surly owner, the revolving door entry, ( which fortunately can be bypassed ) the non functional house lights ( which venue staff insist on using, as they're soooo proud of them ), and the person who watched me like a hawk, as I left the unbelievably awkward car park, certain that I was going to swipe his car! ( If I'm honest, until I got in the van to leave, I too was unsure whether I had room to get out )!

41 has its issues, but it's an absolute delight compared to The Bell, in mamy ways.

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Got yourself one of these right? https://www.screwfix.com/p/3-in-1-ha...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Great for long load ins, we use it to cart the magic mirror, chairs and all sorts. Bombproof.
    Mayhap, Neil, but it won't extend to the lengths of my Rock'n'Roller R12. Now that is a trolley.

Remember what I wrote in the cheese thread during the week? Well ignore it

Last night, back to a barn I know and love, except this time it was different. There are actually two halves to this place, one large area which is normally where the dancing happens, and a smaller end where the eating bits normally happen. Expecting to be in the former of the two, I went armed with the trusty ground shakers ready to shake the cobwebs from the ceiling.

Nope....I'm in the smaller end this time with a massively overpowered PA system. Hey ho

I've been following Neils advice all week and getting used to these milkshake meal things and I've got the hang of it to the extent that i've replaced brekky and lunch with the things and don't feel hungry. I'm even starting to shed a couple of pounds . So, had one of them for "dinner" tonight before setting off only to be offered a chicken dinner when I arrived ....well, rude to say no isn't it

Things were running about an hour behind and I couldn't really get in whilst the eating and speeches were going on, so a little waiting around before moving the kit the 20 feet from the van to the setup area - right under a huge neon heart sign. Hmm....looked good when set up and seemed like a good idea to be in front of it...until I realised reading any sort of electronic screen was going to be difficult.

Eventually kicked off and had a full floor for the first couple of songs before everyone disappeared outside to sit next to an old fire engine which has been converted to a bar (I kid you not!). So, an hour or so on my own then.

The brief by the way was for 70s disco, 80s pop and rock and 90s indie with very few do not plays. This, on paper, was going to be a good one.

Eventually they got bored of the fire engine and came in to grace my dance floor. I must admit, I was indulging in a little of the curdled milk music at the time (someone had asked for something I can't remember what) which got them onto the dance floor. From there, an hour more of cheddar, followed by the rest of the brief. A brilliant night and lots of sore feet (and heads) in the morning.

All in all....happy DJ

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

All in all....happy DJ

Wedding for me last night, first of three covering for Mr Western, who is currently enjoying ( ) his Greek Holiday. ( The poor lamb has got a spot of " tummy trouble " ). The venue looked amazing, the decorations were superb. I had a white starcloth drape behind me, which would have looked magnificent, if only someone had brought the controller to switch the effing lights on!

I lost them for half an hour to a fireworks display, of all things! Requests abounded, although they were " varied, unusual and interesting ". As is often the case here, numbers dwindled early, and I made an executive decision to pull the plug twenty minutes early, but forty minutes late, in my humble opinion. It was ever thus. Let's see what next week brings there.

Tonight, I'm off to do an After Wedding disco, with a relatively early finish, far more sensible.