Page 468 of 468 FirstFirst ... 368418458466467468
Results 4,671 to 4,675 of 4675

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Default Why we liked filament lights.

You young 'uns don't know you're born. The old days of ensuring you had a stable supply of electricity for when the kilowatts of filament lamps blazedinto life, sending the leccy meter round at top speed. Nowadays, your whole rig runs off a couple of AA batteries in comparison. Saturday night though, I wished I had a bank of RO80s behind me again, to keep me warm.

21st Birthday gig under canvas ( plastic? ) local to me. Shelters attached to house and sheds. Absolutely freezing, despite my thickest pullover, woolly hat and boots. Customer had put me in probably the worst possible position, but I have to say, the Hadrons and Crossfires covered far more tent than I'd have believed possible.

Early doors, I feared a poor turnout, but once they arrived, it was a great night, one of those when you reckon they'd pack the floor to the shipping forecast!

Packed up at 1am, feeling a lot as if I'd been taken back in time, but not defrosted.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Default Poor engagement party turnout

Had an engagement party recently at a golf club function room. Upstairs (yay!) The lady who's party it was had a rule that if you bring you kids they have to be out by 9pm (Not the policy of the club I might add). So it was a fairly poor turnout to start with then after 9 it was about 3 tables worth of guests. Managed to get them dancing but my god it was a looong 4 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    And YES I know my cable tidiness leaves a lot to be desired!
    Looks pretty good to me, I can only spot 2 and they are pretty well hidden.
    Observe without judging what you see

Disco 4 Hire

Default Why I'm no longer a fan of filament lights

What can I say?

I took this one with a little trepidation....mainly because I've just walked in the door and I've got to be up again in just 6 hours to get myself up to Solihull for the ProMobile conference in the morning.

I'm glad I did!

Tonight then was a 40th birthday with an 80s slant - yes....the Retro Roadshow was out on the road yet again (it's starting to go out more than the normal rig these days )

Regular readers may have noticed a post a couple of weeks ago about replacing the filament lamps with nice, shiny LED versions. By 'eck - they work well

Brighter, a LOT cooler (well, it's only drawing 300w now instead of 2KW), and no hanging around at the end waiting for the lamps to cool down for fear of breaking the filaments - what's not to like?

Well....one young lady in particular who "doesn't normally drink". It showed tonight as TWICE she decided to lean on one of the outer light screens (one of the few with nothing behind it) and land behind my rig on top of it. TWICE!!!!! I'm now thinking of a novel solution for some sort of feet on the bottom of them to stop that.

Other than that - an absolute storm of an evening. Really good crowd (when they got going) and as promised....80s only - absolute heaven from where I stood

Right - must close my eyes.....lots of driving and learning tomorrow. In fact I've already learned one thing from ProMobile before I even leave the house....7 'o' clock happens twice on a Sunday! (I didn't even realise Sunday had a morning )

Default Serendipity, Networking, and Friends.

I know some of us harp on about it, but luck, chance, good fortune, call it what you will, plays a part in this game. We also point out what a valuable resource this place is, because of networking, and even more importantly, friends we make here.

Huge thanks now to a couple of them, Davesounds, and Mattysounds. Fabulous friends I met because of serendipity, this forum, and the lat lamented Ol' Sidesaddle. Many years ago, before I set foot on The True Path, my kit wasn't PAT tested, and Starzsounds recommended Dave. Thanks Martin.

Well, yesterday, I called Dave, and in the course of conversation, he said he and Matty weren't working. With the enthusiasm of youth, Matty doesn't like to sit at home, so Dave and Lily brought Matty across to Sheffield to help me, while they had a trip to Meadowhall. My gig was a 21st in a bar I've worked before, which has " Roulette" access. On street parking, which can be as good as directly opposite the doors, or as bad as a loooong way away. We ended up carrying the kit across the road to load in, and were able to get the van bang outside to load out, fortunately.

We took the full size Equinox booth in, allowing us to squeeze two playouts and a DMX desk on the shelf, with the new radio mic box underneath. The trusty Hadrons atop the poles, with Crossfire XPs just below gave plenty of light and variety, although Matty was a bit too keen on the strobe effect, rather than letting the Hadrons have free rein for my liking.

The gig followed a fairly standard pattern, with the playlist of total and utter modern bilge attracting no more than a token bit of head nodding, while once Mum and family asked for 80's, Anthems and mainstream stuff, the floor filled, and we were able to strike a balance which pleased everyone. We got lots of thanks at the end, from happy punters, so job done, I feel. Matthew played an absolute blinder, as always, despite me closing his channel on one occasion while he was speaking. The lad's already a very capable and knowledgeable DJ, and a pleasure to work with.

I'm growing to love my W Audio radio mics the more I use them. They seem totally bulletproof so far, and well designed. I went for the DTM twin series to replace my trusty Shure mics which have sadly become unusable due to the encroachment of TV, Phones and Routers, among other things. I'll keep you posted on their progress. Coupled with the Maui 11s which were making the stage vibrate under our feet, they sounded great.

So, it was fortunate for me that Matty was available last night, purely by chance, and happy to turn up and help. It made the gig easy, rather than quite difficult. Thanks Matty, and thank you this forum and the people on it.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk