Page 459 of 459 FirstFirst ... 359409449457458459
Results 4,581 to 4,586 of 4586

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Default The fundamental dichotomy.

No, not splitting your trousers, but the standpoint for judging the success of a function, Punter vs DJ.
    Surprise Birthday party for some lovely people in a little pub up in the Yorkshire Wolds. Layout of venue is just about as bad as it can be. The room is L-shaped, and you face down the long leg towards the bar, which is often out of sight is someone closes the partition. Allegedly, there is piped music/jukebox playing in there as competition to the disco, just to make things interesting.

I'm set up by 7pm, and because the guests enter through the pub, the birthday boy arrives without me knowing, so I can't do the big surprise entrance. Three and a half hours of me being ignored follow, I've no idea if I'm going well or badly, and I'm losing the will to live.
    First request of the night " We're going to get the jukebox turned off in the bar, can you turn yours up" ?
    Second request " Can you turn it down "?

Many of the guests are Young Farmers, and once the alcohol has kicked in, it's party central, and all semblance of musical integrity has left the playlist. Guests are convinced I'm a brilliant DJ, Birthday Boy and family are delighted, and I'm wondering what the hell just happened.

Good night, or bad one? All depends where you're standing.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Senior Member Jim - Scotland's Party DJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    No, not splitting your trousers, but the standpoint for judging the success of a function, Punter vs DJ.
    Surprise Birthday party for some lovely people in a little pub up in the Yorkshire Wolds. Layout of venue is just about as bad as it can be. The room is L-shaped, and you face down the long leg towards the bar, which is often out of sight is someone closes the partition. Allegedly, there is piped music/jukebox playing in there as competition to the disco, just to make things interesting.

I'm set up by 7pm, and because the guests enter through the pub, the birthday boy arrives without me knowing, so I can't do the big surprise entrance. Three and a half hours of me being ignored follow, I've no idea if I'm going well or badly, and I'm losing the will to live.
    First request of the night " We're going to get the jukebox turned off in the bar, can you turn yours up" ?

Many of the guests are Young Farmers, and once the alcohol has kicked in, it's party central, and all semblance of musical integrity has left the playlist. Guests are convinced I'm a brilliant DJ, Birthday Boy and family are delighted, and I'm wondering what the hell just happened.

Before it picked up, did you go into the bar and "work" it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Before it picked up, did you go into the bar and "work" it?
    Sadly, I had no tear gas with me.

Jim, I understand what you say, and it's a good question, but to my eternal shame, the answer is " No". Whether it would have had any beneficial effect, well that's another good question. Personally, I doubt it in this case, but better men than I, who knows?

Another quality Gig !!

Quote Originally Posted by djdj View Post
    Another quality Gig !!
    You didn't warn me about the trip hazard in the car park! Resembled the North face of the Eiger.
    And you especially didn't warn me I had to unload in front of the Old Folks Home. The staff there dragged me in twice thinking I'd escaped.

And you especially didn't warn me I had to unload in front of the Old Folks Home. The staff there dragged me in twice thinking I'd escaped.
    So my cunning plan failed!