Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 446 of 564 FirstFirst ... 346396436444445446447448456496546 ... LastLast
Results 4,451 to 4,460 of 5634

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Great gig for me Saturday just gone, Probably the biggest of the year for me.

Venue was Seaham Hall in Sunderland/Durham area, Client booked me as i could source everything for him and pay suppliers rather than do everything himself.
    He initially wanted Love letters and a booth neither of which i could do myself but said i could source them with contacts.

After meeting with him i managed to sell Uplighting (even though he only wanted 1 wall still got good fee) he then said he wanted a candy cart, no problem says i (the LOVE letter lady does them) oh and a white starlit 14 x 14 floor, (not a lot of suppliers up here so said OK but would need to get back with price). Phones up later gives price, hes happy. Then he wants Mr & Mrs letters too, so i have to involve another supplier (thats 4 now). Get him a price and decide id try get him to include a custom monogram to round it up to a nice even 4 digit number. He agrees.

On the day, access id been told was from 6 and to start at 7:30 so i arrive at 5:15 and start putting booth and podiums together in the rear car park as its a nice day and it saves me time later (have my dad with me who also DJs) they were ahead of schedule believe it or not so im in by 5:30 and setting up.

Gear list
    gorrilla booth + starcloth and white overlay
    2 Equinox? podiums with tripar uplights
    2 chauvet 255 irc pearls
    1 ADJ Ikon IRC projector
    Pair LD Maui 28g2 white
    8 ADj Tri par + wireless dmx boxes (Ask Andy P Disco couture about these and save yourself a load of time)
    Playout and a FAN!!

set up in good time, suppliers arriving in the mean time and having no issues, floor looked great, photo booth matched perfectly, letters all look fab. Dancefloor guy is chatting to one of the guests who makes it very clear he is/was a DJ and would be watching me all night...yay

Singer comes over about 15 mins before i'm due to start as i was about to go get changed.
    Young lass (19) from X factor fame, asks if she can just sing through my system, inform her i don't have reverb on my system as i don't do karaoke, so tell her to bring her mixer in and ill see what i can do. brings it over, clear she hasnt got a clue what she's talking about and i decide i cant do with the hassle of trying to unplug her while im working once she is finished so tell her she is best to set up her PA.

Gets changed and ready to rock.

Singer does first dance (All of me - JL) i start immediately after and have good floor action until Buffet, not long after they all get ushered outside for "sparklers" but they don't know that the groom has organised a 10 minute fireworks display. Have very good floor for the rest of the night despite the heat and the photobooth and bar being in a different room.

DJ guy is over about 7 times in total, and said such pearls as:
    "craig has taught you well" even though today was the first time id met Craig.
    Asking me what i would be playing after the next cued up song and seeming very suprised when i told him it would depend on how it was received.
    Telling me it was too early for read light spells danger at 11:20pm when i finish at 12.

Got some great pics and B & G tell me they were chuffed and would leave glowing FB feedback.

Packed up and away by 1. although think i've lost my £200 prescription sunglasses at the venue....
    North East Wedding DJ - www.stevenmaddison.co.uk - TWIA Regional Finalist 2019 & 2020 - The Wedding Business Awards Wedding DJ of the year (North East Region)

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Apologies, I mistook your light hearted witticism as the usual dour and curmudgeonly comment
    Please do not worry about it,but i can see why this forum is not getting many new members with people like Steve jumping down everybody's throat,such a friendly lot over on the Facebook group and probably much more knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTIGER View Post
    ,such a friendly lot over on the Facebook group and probably much more knowledgeable.
    Somehow, I very strongly doubt that. Very strongly. In my travels round the net I've found more places worse than this, rather than better.

Anyway, Good or bad gigs.

And Wayne: DJs in shorts and t-shirts/ Hawaiian shirts aren't exclusively retro. A certain versatile forum member will be attired thus in Morley in mid August. I'll get piccies if I can.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Please do not worry about it,but i can see why this forum is not getting many new members with people like Steve jumping down everybody's throat,such a friendly lot over on the Facebook group and probably much more knowledgeable.
    You know where the door is Tony & one more like that & 2 things will happen,

1. You won't be able to compare the two

2. This forum will be a happier, friendlier place.

I've just about had enough of your snide little digs, not just at myself, but at anyone you deem lesser than you.

Play nice or go. The choice is yours.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    You know where the door is Tony & one more like that & 2 things will happen,

1. You won't be able to compare the two

2. This forum will be a happier, friendlier place.

I've just about had enough of your snide little digs, not just at myself, but at anyone you deem lesser than you.

Play nice or go. The choice is yours.
    Happier and friendlier not with you it wont be,you seem to have a very short memory of the times i have assisted you with things you wanted advice on but carry on because im not that worried soon you wont have anybody left to bully .

Right, let's bring this back on topic...

Last 2 Saturdays have been marquee weddings in private gardens - both with mid-afternoon ceremonies and both with 11pm finishes, so a nice tight packed day, rather than a 12 hour monster - with the disco running 9pm - 11pm on both occasions.

First of the two was a much older crowd (I think the parents had done most of the invites, rather than the bride and groom). It was 60s to 80s all the way, and whilst the dancefloor never emptied, it wasn't the most energetic of parties. But I saw most guests get up for a song or two - but the age group were never going to be "dancing all night". B&G had chosen a guest to make the announcements during the day - for which he hadn't prepared anything, and it was all a little loose. Got away with it until the first dance when he suddenly came over and said "you play the track now" - I responded by saying "you haven't introduced them yet!". All he'd done was made people aware the first dance was about to happen. Disappointing to see that happen - it could have been so much better. I'm never comfortable when someone else is making the announcements, but it's their day.

And this Saturday was a similar format - and a similar marquee so was rather deja-vue. Lovely weather until the speeches happened, which fortunately for me, meant everyone stayed in the marquee throughout the evening. A packed dancefloor for this one, and quite the opposite to the week before, with the playlist mainly based around the 5 last years - with a few 90s dance anthems. But it all went down really well.

However, I've realised marquees in private gardens rarely have great access, so never as easy to get equipment in or out - nor does anyone ever consider that any form of lighting would be needed outside the marquee for when it gets dark! Time to invest in a battery powered flood light!

Strangely, my next two weddings also follow a theme - both (much) older couples who are getting married for the second time! Am looking forward to them, both couples are lovely, and will certainly be very different weddings to the norm.

Happier and friendlier not with you it wont be,you seem to have a very short memory of the times i have assisted you with things you wanted advice on but carry on because im not that worried soon you wont have anybody left to bully .
    I have never asked you for advice or heeded any unsolicited waffle extolling the virtues of archaic & in some instances downright dangerous work practices. I have the advantage of being able to see posts of yours that have been deleted & I have also been back-reading some of your posts. Frankly it's a wonder you've lasted this long, insulting other members looks like it could even be a hobby of yours. The amount of times you've contradicted yourself is utterly laughable.

You made your choice.
    Last edited by Corabar Steve; 05-06-2017 at 09:08 PM.
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    However, I've realised marquees in private gardens rarely have great access, so never as easy to get equipment in or out - nor does anyone ever
    Yes, those things are a godsend. I got two from Clive at CRS for a very good price (the also have USB ports so you can charge your phone off them in an emergency). Highly recommended.
    Last edited by Corabar Steve; 05-06-2017 at 08:19 PM.

I've been riding a wave of absolute bangers (the good type of banger, not the Austin Allegro type) the past few months which has been great.

Saturday on the other hand didn't start until quarter to 10 (late ceremony, slow meal and THEN speeches = DJ Jim sitting around from 6 until 9 o clock before getting access to the room.

I said to the bride and groom I'd do a simpler lighting set up (they had mood lights and it's a wee room anyway) so we could get things kicked off asap - I was up and running in about 20 minutes, the venue still had to strip the linen and do the dancefloor.

Decided to cracking right into the ceilidh after the first dance and it went down pretty well - it was a Scots American wedding so the Yanks are usually game and actually listen to the steps.

Gay Gordons
    Orcadian Strip the Willow

and then onto the bride and grooms list. It was quite eclectic and I thought I'd struggle considering time was so short but before you knew it I'd bashed through all of their must plays and a sizeable chunk of their like list. Last hour was non stop bangers and before you know it - the end was drawing near.

They'd requested I Am the Resurrection for their last tune. I double checked they still wanted to go with this - 1 it takes forever to get going and 2 half of the crowd won't have a clue what it is but they said go for it and it was actually a really fun tune to end on. Much better than Loch Lommond where everyone stands in a circle for half an hour and the proceeds to run uip and down trampling on the brides dress and bumping into my gear in short order

Couple of school discos then a wedding on the bonnie back of said aforementioned Loch Lommond on Saturday and that's me until after my honeymoon

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    1 it takes forever to get going and 2 half of the crowd won't have a clue what it is
    You just described playing Loch Lomond to a mostly English crowd