Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 90 of 564 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Sorry, Gary, but I don't understand why you let these people get to you so much or why you deal with them the way you do. After all, it's hardly unusual for people in our business to come across these idiots.

By looking at the guy who shouted at you at the end of the night & making it obvious you'd heard what he said & weren't happy, you were playing right into his hands, by giving him exactly what he wanted...a reaction.

In that situation, I wouldn't have looked at the guy at all. I'd simply have ignored him & carried on packing away.

I certainly wouldn't have got "very angry" or "hot & flustered" about it!

I agree Rob.

Don't let these people get to you. Anything anboydy says to me when they are drunk, I take as a pinch of salt.

It's just the way I am guys but I appreciate your comments.
    I won't go into the whole reasoning but when you are bullied on a daily basis as a kid, it kind of leaves it's mark on you. I don't like people abusing me with comments, I don't like people trying to be-little me infront of their mates etc etc etc..

I KNOW it happens a lot. I KNOW it's best to ignore and I also KNOW that people (some people) will jump on the old bandwagon again but as I said above, I've been scarred by the early days. It's just the way I am. It doesn't affect my performance whatsoever and when people are drunk, I doubt it very much if they think that by me looking over at them that they have got to me. It was probably a throw away comment from the guy but I am sensitive as you know. It happened right at the end, everything had finished and it narked me...simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    Sorry, Gary, but I don't understand why you let these people get to you so much or why you deal with them the way you do. After all, it's hardly unusual for people in our business to come across these idiots.

:
    Reckon I do Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie brown View Post
    I agree Rob.

Don't let these people get to you. Anything anboydy says to me when they are drunk, I take as a pinch of salt.
    Charlie,you still have a lot to learn.

Nearly forty years I've been playing this game, and it's not water off a duck's back. I don't suspect it ever will be.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Reckon I do Rob.
    I would expect nothing less, as you're older & wiser than myself!

double post
    Last edited by MusicCity; 11-10-2010 at 09:00 PM. Reason: double post

By looking at the guy who shouted at you at the end of the night & making it obvious you'd heard what he said & weren't happy, you were playing right into his hands, by giving him exactly what he wanted...a reaction.

In that situation, I wouldn't have looked at the guy at all. I'd simply have ignored him & carried on packing away.

I get quite dismayed when we're expected to just take abuse from some guests. They are rude, arrogant and disrespectful to the host as well as us.

What kind of response would we get if we walked into their place of work and hurled abuse at them because we didn't like the way they typed or stacked shelves.

I can see both sides of the discussion but I tend to agree with Gary.

Rudeness and abuse should never be condoned and by ignoring it thats exactly what we do. It sums up why this country is in such a state!

Apologies for the rant by I've had a belly full of this kind of behaviour today and I'm rapidly turning into a grumpy old git!

Have a nice evening

Andy

Default Saturday's 80th

Evening Folks,

I though I'd like to share with you my experiences from Saturday.

An surprise 80th party booked few weeks ago by the guy's son and daughter.
    Went to meet with them to sort out the details soon after booking and then Saturday quickly arrived.

Arrived at the gig 3pm and left some two hours later after setting up, sound checking and all.
    Happy with the rig using my new Behringer VMX1000USB for the 1st time.

Arrived back at the venue 6;45 for a 7,30 start.

Started up pretty much straight away before the 1st guests arrived just to get into the swing.

kicked off with a mixture of old & new easy low tempo stuff.

Birthday boy arrives at 8, and played Stevie Wonder Happy Birthday.

Then followed an hour or so of old time stuff before the buffet, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, Ella, Miles Davis etc, etc

Came to start main part of the evening and I always like to play something significant for the event.
    Played Al Martino's : Here in my heart ; 1st Uk no 1 when the guy was 21, then followed as the Gent was called Ernie, played Benny Hill's Ernie; The Fastest Milkman In The West which raised some laughs and luckily didn't offend the man in question!
    Rest of the night went current chart for about 4-5 tracks, 70 Disco, Motown era, Lionel Richie/Whitney Houston, Queen, Free, Bryan Adams, Abba, Bee Gees, Rod Stewart, ELO, etc, had a few requsts: Robbie, Neil Diamond, Beach Boys.

Finished off with Beatles Let It Be and Big Frank: My Way.

Had a great night, many complements from clients and stewards of the venue who took a stack of cards.

Always good to feel like you've done as good job and is a great relief when you get as paranoid as me that all the equipment will work and you'll get a good night.

thanks for reading

cheers
    Steve

I had one last night where the "lady" in question had had a few 2 many and kept asking for "my humps" while I was in a full on disco set. It got to the point where she was leaning over the DSB and trying to push the fader down.

Rather than get all "excited" about it I just picked up the mic and said "taxi for this lady that's trying to DJ" closely followed by "Step away from the booth, this a drunk free area" It did the trick the punters laughed and she disapeared for a while.

I spoke to her at the end of the night and had a joke with her that I was suprised she was still awake It turns out that she's an a pilots 767's for a living
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs