Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 564 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Default Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Following on from this thread

A thread for you to post up your good & bad gig experiences in. Not really for old stories more for ones you've just done.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Sam

Had one at crimbo which was very odd.
    it was at a 'Foyer'.. sort of a place where kids who are not living with parents go between 16 and 20 ish i think?!

But yeh.. obviously.. didn't want many christmas tunes because of reminding them about christmas with parents and all that.. and they didn't really like the chart stuff or anything as a matter of fact.
    Instead they provided me with two pre-mixed cds of trance and drum and base.. (can't really stand long bits of it) and then they asked (in my face sort of way lol) if they could use the mic.. so we had a nice fun night of loud crappy music and loud crappy mcing rapying type of thing.. had a massive headache... but they enjoyed it.. and it wasn't much work either.

The weekend after that I ahd the best gig we had ever done.
    Absolutely fantastic crowd of well behaved (is there such a thing??) 16 - 19 years olds.. (Private school kids I think.. as I am.. which might explain it) who were very polite and couldn't stop dancing.... they loved their cheese too! Me and my dad tried out a new way of doing things with the music too.. instead of taking it in turns... he did most of the mixing from one cd to another (he is very good now!!).. and I did all the music selection.. giving him the next cd with a track number ready for him to put it straight in...
    And it worked fantastically well, neither of us were rushed or whatever, we could relax a bit more and we played every single request.
    And it is always nice to start a disco where when the people come in.. you can hear them saying "oh wow.. look at that" when looking at the set up =)

=)
    Last edited by Sam; 25-02-2008 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Had one at crimbo which was very odd.
    it was at a 'Foyer'.. sort of a place where kids who are not living with parents go between 16 and 20 ish i think?!

But yeh.. obviously.. didn't want many christmas tunes because of reminding them about christmas with parents and all that.. and they didn't really like the chart stuff or anything as a matter of fact.
    Instead they provided me with two pre-mixed cds of trance and drum and base.. (can't really stand long bits of it) and then they asked (in my face sort of way lol) if they could use the mic.. so we had a nice fun night of loud crappy music and loud crappy mcing rapying type of thing.. had a massive headache... but they enjoyed it.. and it wasn't much work either.
    I think I would have had a headache too!

Thanks for the thread Steve
    Last edited by theoloyla; 25-02-2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Wrong name!
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by theoloyla View Post
    I think I would have had a headache too!

Thanks for the thread Daz
    Not only me then!!
    That is the trouble of doing a disco in Chav city.. something I try to avoid.. but the money was extremely good that night... (maybe because no one else wanted to lol!!)

Nice one Steve
    Facebook - Bumble 'B' Roadshow
    Twitter - KidsChaos
    Skype - Garry.Williams402

Just a very quick clip of one of my party dances chaps!!!!

Have a click on this.

http://governorv1.proboards55.com/in...e=1#1203980639
    Facebook - Bumble 'B' Roadshow
    Twitter - KidsChaos
    Skype - Garry.Williams402

Last night I went to the place where it's never dull. Certainly easy, I could stand a few more like that. Sportsman's evening in Willerby Manor, lighting in house, some sound, set up early, and wait for meal, speeches, guest speaker, and comedian to do their stuff before playing for a lengthy two hour set! The only blot on an othewise perfect evening was driving home with a bit of string in my hand as an emergency throttle cable. Spanners out this morning eh?

Has anyone, particularly our Tyneside friends seen a comedian called Brendan Healy? Very very funny, and apparently a one time member of Lindisfarne. Must check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Me and my dad tried out a new way of doing things with the music too.. instead of taking it in turns... he did most of the mixing from one cd to another (he is very good now!!).. and I did all the music selection.. giving him the next cd with a track number ready for him to put it straight in...
    And it worked fantastically well, neither of us were rushed or whatever, we could relax a bit more and we played every single request.
    I find it much better DJing with a friend/family member or in our case best mate & business partner! Song selection can be much more thought out getting someone elses opinion and generally setting up and dealing with any problems and requests can be sorted out efficiently as I have the technical knowledge for the set up and Adam has more musical knowledge which works really well!
    Sounds like a great gig also, well done

Tom
    Last edited by Shaun; 01-03-2008 at 10:49 AM. Reason: fixed quote
    ATR The X-Faders | Mobile DJ's in Essex
    Billericay & Surrounding Areas
    http://www.thexfadersdj.co.uk | Facebook | Twitter

good gig: first 80s theme night recently 2 bookings on the night 1 since great costumes and music i love playing.

bad gig: school gig where i set up and had a problem with sound being very distorted 7.30pm start and at 7.28pm I found it was a dodgey port on the USB hub those that know how i work will know that for me this is far far too close for comfort and although only 2 hours long I found it very hard to settle into the gig.
    The only answer for functions in the midlands ...... Dragonfly mobile Discos Roadshow DJ services entertainment ..... call for a quote

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    good gig: first 80s theme night recently 2 bookings on the night 1 since great costumes and music i love playing.

bad gig: school gig where i set up and had a problem with sound being very distorted 7.30pm start and at 7.28pm I found it was a dodgey port on the USB hub those that know how i work will know that for me this is far far too close for comfort and although only 2 hours long I found it very hard to settle into the gig.

And you would be convinced that if you had gone ahead like that, everyone in the place would only have thought of the sound quality, nothing else!

It does little to convince me to go to a hard drive system, I must say!