Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 508 of 564 FirstFirst ... 8408458498506507508509510518558 ... LastLast
Results 5,071 to 5,080 of 5634

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

That was a very long day.....but also AWESOME!

'twas to be an all-day (ceremony to carriages) wedding for me. New venue (only opened last year) and it's a "blank canvas" jobby....basically you hire the paddocks, lakes, glamping tents and the like and then have either a marquee or a tipi installed.

My couple went for a marquee that Mary Chipperfield would have been envious of....it's certainly the biggest I've ever worked in (and yes....it even had flags on top).

I was also more than a little nervous. I'd not met the couple until the day before (they live in London and were too busy to schedule anything), so everything had been done by email. They'd also furnished me with a couple of playlists:

12 hours for the day/afternoon as background
    18 hours for the evening

Now before anyone cuts in and bemoans this, I actually WELCOME these sized lists. I look at it from the point of view that every song they've taken the time to choose has a meaning to them, so I can't go far wrong picking and choosing from said lists. Today was absolutely no exception (in fact I was being complemented by the guests left, right and centre on the background music which I'd actually let VDJ autoplay whilst I assisted with other things).

So, to the day itself. The venue's in the middle of the flatlands of Cambridgeshire (literally 10 minutes from my front door with my lockup conveniently between home and the venue on the same road)....what's not to like?

Well, the 75mph gusts of wind for a start!

I found out yesterday that the celebrant was bringing her own PA system for the talky bits, whilst I was rocking up with a newly acquired Maui5 GO and an iPad for that part. Lucky I did - her QTX Busker failed just as she was starting the ceremony. Also lucky I had a completely wireless mic solution with me. Not so lucky, I haven't got any windshields for that mic yet so it was a little noisy to say the least. It got us out of the doo doo though and worked better than expected.

So, to the afternoon. Background music for a couple of hours whilst the guests enjoyed the outside (and bless them, they actually DID stay outside drinking in the gale force winds). I set about helping the venue with things like setting up the chairs in the marquee (which had been in use elsewhere on the site for the ceremony) and trying to herd people about for photos.....not easy when the sound from your portable PA is being blown in the opposite direction but we got there.

Onto the meal and speeches. Boy did they go on a while (I timed the best man at a little under 40 minutes). One of the speeches involved a carefully planned Karaoke session as well (which got the assembled guests dancing around!)

So....onto the evening.

Rustic booth with two new lights provided by the very efficient Mr Neen (a brace of ADJ Dotz Matrix). By 'eck they're bright, but seeing the size of the tent, actually perfectly matched. I feel most gigs are only going to require one of the beasts mounted on a pole behind me but for this one....they worked.

I also dumped LightRider (it's let me down far too many times now with wireless dropouts) and went back to LightKeyApp (it's £100 pa for the license but it just works and does so flawlessly...I'm happy to pay their license for that sort of reliability.

The first dance was different - don't stop me now by Queen with a coordinated confetti launch (organised by the Groomsmen) after the slow bit just as the beat drops on "I'm a shooting star, leaping through the sky" . AWESOME! No embarrassing wobbling around on the dance floor for this one....the drop and the confetti launch was the invitation for the guests to join in....and they didn't disappoint.

The playlist was already provided with a LOT of music from the 1970s, and just a smattering of 80s/90s/current. Only the 70s really worked (no complaints from me). It was a full (and I mean RAMMED) floor from beginning to end with a very early dummy finish meaning two more "one more song DJ" chants which I was happy to go with (the venue had already seen how things were going and OK'd the plan).

So all in all, a very long, very tiring, very challenging day, but the sort of day I live for!

Even better, I'm now a recommended supplier for the venue. How did that happen?
    Simple!
    I obeyed the rules (including the 11pm turn-everything-down)
    I helped them out with stuff during the day rather than sit on my hands
    I provided a party (in fact the entertainment for the whole thing) which they're happy to recommend.

Needless to say, I'm going to be on their website and in their 2020 brochure as soon as I get my logo over to them

Oh, and to answer the question about the Rustic booth - see below. It's going out more than any of my other rigs at the moment (I'm doing a LOT of marquee and barn weddings this year). It's even more popular than my Retro Roadshow (eek!)

Name:  IMG_0808.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  135.0 KB

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

June, July & August has pretty much killed me off. I'm either DJing at Weddings, Photographing Weddings (still in a 'designated bag carrier' role) and on the days I'm not out and about, I'm in the office editing photos, updating the website regularly and trying much harder with the social media stuff. In fact, I've only got two gigs this week (Monday and Saturday) but with the consultations and everything else in between, my head is in my hands just thinking about it.

But I'm not down or grumpy about it. The gigs I have been doing have, on the whole, been very good. Lots of new venues (or venues that I haven't graced for a while) which is the reason why the website is getting lots of new content. Last night was a new venue, so I took the camera with me but while I was there, I realised that with everything else that I'm doing right now, I'm really not that fussed about taking photos of this place, editing them and then creating a Blog and Venue page. Might have something to do with the fact that when I arrived, the barrier was down and I couldn't get in. Is there anyone on site who can lift it? Nope. And that was the end of the conversation. No alternative solution, no brainstorming - just a group of catering staff standing round not giving a single...

After walking around the site for half hour, I found a way to get in that would make The Crystal Maze an absolute breeze - it entailed driving on pavements and grass but short of going under the direction of Michael Bay and crashing through the barrier, it was the best I could do.

The room was a newly built...it's kinda like an assembly hall at your kid's school. Wedding was running 90 minutes behind, so the official 8pm start time was out of the window. With a Ceilidh band doing an hour set as well, this was one of those gigs where I didn't get to do a lot of DJing and I wish I could have done more because I never really got the chance to feel the room. After the first dance, I played maybe 5 songs before the band were due to start and when they finished, I got maybe 45 minutes left. I worked out quite quickly that 80s was the big hitter, so that's pretty much how it stayed for the last half hour. Of course I met the clients beforehand and got to know them and their preferences, so that helped steer me a little. Happy clients and compliments from other suppliers, so this DJ is happy.

Beyond that, it's all been a good run of events with positive responses from clients, guests and venues.

Default Finally, I called it right!

As many of you will know, I don't run a " one size fits all " rig, which means that although in theory I can tailor it exactly to the circumstances, crowd and venue, that depends on me putting the right bits in the van beforehand, and taking the right bits out. Many of us are our own worst critics, and agonise over things guests never even noticed.

Wednesday's wedding was a lot like that, the end result was first class for guests, and the review confirms that. How I got to the end result was a combination of adapting to adversity, technology which infuriates and baffles me, and technology which simply refused to play ball. Well on Saturday, everything just fell into place.

I was covering an 18th birthday for Dave Jackson, at a venue I've played quite a few times before. I know the layout. Dave was hosting a fundraiser for Cancer charities in memory of his sister Veronica, and in common with many of us, was stressed because he was waiting, not playing. Recalcitrant drummers and dodgy VGA sockets weren't helping his composure a lot, as he only wanted to do the best he possibly could, and needed everyone pulling in the same direction. Needless to say, from what I could see, the lad played a blinder, and I hope it all went well for you and your family at Vee 50.
    In addition to doing his own gig, he made sure I had no setbacks for mine, thanks Dave much appreciated.

OK, eventually to my gig. As I said, an 18th in a venue where I've only had weddings with Dave's gear. There's not a lot of spare space, or headroom, so Micron booth was first choice, and I'd always wanted to run my Maui 11s in here, because of setup space, and room size. Not gonna happen at an 18th, the trusty 15" Proels came out of hibernation, and what a job they did. Lights were two Hadrons, two Stagg LED bars and a three colour cluster laser that's not been used for a while. On Wednesday, the lights all refused to work correctly, possibly due to a suspect cable somewhere, and a generator which may have been less than perfect. Saturday, they were flawless.

So, we started with the usual testing of the water with a trawl through the Now albums to select stuff which was well received by all, but I didn't get a single request until after the buffet, and the first couple weren't really indicative of the general mood either. Ah well. Then I got the thing that really grinds my gears. You will also know that I'll never see 21 again, nor my flowing locks. I am however a professional, and I'm signed up to whatever it takes to do that job well.
    " Have you got XYZ? It's modern". So ing what? It's my job to have modern music. Just cos I don't wear jeans with the crotch at ankle level, doesn't prevent me having chart and pre- release music.

Well, once the assembled horde of infants found out that I had everything they asked for, was prepared to play it, and could throw some matching bangers of my own, we were rocking and rolling. Well, not rocking and rolling exactly, but twerking and similar moves. I found out that I really am a big fan of some Drum and Bass stuff, ( I'm going to give Macky Gee a listen on Spotify when I get a chance ) and I'm not a fan of most chart music. ( Here I suspect I'm not in a minority, from what I see elsewhere ).

With five minutes to go before last orders, somebody threw a switch, and the venue emptied, apparently for pastures new with a late bar. I was thanked and praised by the parents of the birthday girl, paid by the venue, and got packed up with the satisfaction of a job well done, with the right kit. I went to say goodbye to Dave, who was all of a hundred and fifty yards away, and then called to see my old friend Maccy D. ( See what I did there ) ?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Two, contact was sporadic, and music requests were made late, and mainly by Spotify, which was not ideal. I want an email list I can print out and write on.
    Consider it done

http://www.playlist-converter.net/#/

Take the URI from Spotify and the site will spit out the playlist in a format of your choice.
    Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilson View Post
    Consider it done

http://www.playlist-converter.net/#/

Take the URI from Spotify and the site will spit out the playlist in a format of your choice.
    Blimey! The things you young 'uns come up with! That's pure gold, thanks.

[I]I was covering an 18th birthday for Dave Jackson, at a venue I've played quite a few times before. I know the layout. Dave was hosting a fundraiser for Cancer charities in memory of his sister Veronica, and in common with many of us, was stressed because he was waiting, not playing. Recalcitrant drummers and dodgy VGA sockets weren't helping his composure a lot, as he only wanted to do the best he possibly could, and needed everyone pulling in the same direction. Needless to say, from what I could see, the lad played a blinder, and I hope it all went well for you and your family at Vee 50.[/I]
    In addition to doing his own gig, he made sure I had no setbacks for mine, thanks Dave much appreciated.
    Great to see you sir, thanks so much for your donation - www.justgiving.com/fundraising/david-jackson99,
    I will do a full report once I recover!

I went to say goodbye to Dave, who was all of a hundred and fifty yards away, and then called to see my old friend Maccy D. ( See what I did there )?
    Two burgers in one day bet you didn't get beer with the second one
    Last edited by Excalibur; 12-08-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by djdj View Post
    Two burgers in one day bet you didn't get beer with the second one
    Ooh, heaven forfend! No burger at Ronald's, and no beer either. Just a coffee.

Default Enjoy yourself, Dave.

Last night I was covering for Dave Jackson, who was enjoying himself at Yorkshire's answer to Woodstock- Tribfest. The lad's a regular there, and has only missed once. Since it doesn't rain on the righteous, he was enjoying bright sunshine too.

While some of us worked his regular haunts. This one's a gem. The car park is famously Transit unfriendly, and tiny. Enter through a revolving door, into a lift, through two fire doors, across a stage which isn't a stage, but a set of steps, and work in a corner next to a lighting desk designed as the next brain teaser once you've mastered a Rubik's cube. Yes Dave, you can tell how much I love this place.

Right, I'm painting it black for comic effect, I parked my Transit where it technically shouldn't be, but smack outside the doors works for me. The revolving door was folded flat, so became just a narrow entrance, and the surprisingly efficient lift was only a few paces in from there. Once up a floor, prop open the first door, and park the kit among the general paraphernalia hidden from customer view in the annexe, before taking it into the main room during turn round.

The function was interesting, not a wedding, and not an anniversary, yet both together. A renewal of vows after 25 years, bride in full wedding dress. When I arrived for 5pm, there were children present, but at 7.30pm for the start of the evening do, the little darlings were nowhere to be seen. Good planning in one way, I felt, but perhaps it led to a shortage of bodies, which was borne out by the buffet which seemed to cater for triple the number of guests!

Though they were few in number, they were many in spirit, and took to the dancefloor very early on. Once we'd got some requests coming in, and alcohol down throats, it was a very relaxed atmosphere, and very friendly. A modicum of tasteful DJ banter and witticisms seemed to help things along, with the help of one or two very lively dancers. All in all, a great night, which I enjoyed immensely. Lovely crowd, lovely staff, and the hotel was easier to navigate than it might have been.

Mention must go to the staff, who dimmed the lights and drew curtains early on, were clear and unequivocal about bar closing times, and put the house lights up the instant I said goodnight. If Carlsberg made venue staff..................... Superb.

As I alluded to in another thread recently, I had a text from the stepdaughter of Saturday's groom to be last Thursday asking me if it'd be possible to play Yvonne Fair's It Should've Been Me when a certain person came in the room. My initial reaction was "uh-oh.. " & I almost leapt to the conclusion I was going to be asked to be an unwitting pawn in some family politics. I needn't have worried of course.. which I'll get to in a bit.

A lovely parish community centre in Darlington was the venue for Saturday's wedding reception. The day's timeline meant that to make everything silky smooth I'd either have to drop my gear off at the venue & hide it on stage, or just do the whole setup - either option earlier in the day. I opted for setting up early.

At 6pm I arrived at the venue, all decked out to the nines & waited. The meal ended & speeches came - no BG music was requested, nor microphone use.. and then the time came to announce the cutting of the cake. Job done.. when exactly is the first dance going to be again? Ah, it's getting pushed back because the surprise is running slightly late. I padded time out as per, then we witnessed the first dance - Just Like Fred Astaire by James. After that I set the surprise music away & spotted a veiled figure slowly sashaying through the crowd. Ah, this'll be the drag queen who's been hired to surprise the groom then! Her routine was fun, taken in the spirit it was intended (I think) & got a few laughs from the guests.

Moving swiftly on.. for a long time it looked like the guests were going to be immovable, but move they did in varying amounts. Requests came in & the requesters mostly danced to their selections..

There was no half-time or other break for more food, so I patiently persisted trying to get & keep people dancing with some degree of success. Then 10pm came & I noticed people saying their goodbyes. Oh noes! We're sunk!

Nope, not quite.. The remainder were very much up for partying hearty for the last 90 minutes. From the first dance I took the cue that there might be some call for 90s indie, so prepared a cheaty crate (virtual folder) the night before, swotting up on what used to be my bread & butter but is now a mostly unused muscle. It soon came flooding back. Requests came in for some absolute belters.. There's No Other Way by Blur, Primal Scream's Loaded (!), The Cure & plenty of stuff I just don't get to play often enough.

Their married name is White, so temptation got the better of me for the last song.. and Billy Idol indeed went down a storm. 500 miles followed.. not so much because of screams for one more - more the expectant stares from the dancefloor. A nod from the bar said it was alright, so on it went.

Not one for the record books, but a very enjoyable gig & my customers were very happy with what I did for them. Good times.

EDIT: Oh I'll add that at various times I pondered turning off the house lights, or getting staff to turn them down or off, but I seemed to be doing well enough without. That & I didn't think to work out how to change the house lights before I left after setting up. Then it strikes me this is because now I usually play venues where somebody is in charge of all that. It was never like that when I started out. Remembering those huge banks of unmarked switches in WMCs across the North East.. would it have killed them to spend a few quid on a dymo label maker? Apparently it would!
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 19-08-2019 at 01:10 AM.

Last night I was covering for Dave Jackson, who was enjoying himself at Yorkshire's answer to Woodstock- Tribfest. The lad's a regular there, and has only missed once. Since it doesn't rain on the righteous, he was enjoying bright sunshine too.

While some of us worked his regular haunts. This one's a gem. The car park is famously Transit unfriendly, and tiny. Enter through a revolving door, into a lift, through two fire doors, across a stage which isn't a stage, but a set of steps, and work in a corner next to a lighting desk designed as the next brain teaser once you've mastered a Rubik's cube. Yes Dave, you can tell how much I love this place.

Right, I'm painting it black for comic effect, I parked my Transit where it technically shouldn't be, but smack outside the doors works for me. The revolving door was folded flat, so became just a narrow entrance, and the surprisingly efficient lift was only a few paces in from there. Once up a floor, prop open the first door, and park the kit among the general paraphernalia hidden from customer view in the annexe, before taking it into the main room during turn round.

The function was interesting, not a wedding, and not an anniversary, yet both together. A renewal of vows after 25 years, bride in full wedding dress. When I arrived for 5pm, there were children present, but at 7.30pm for the start of the evening do, the little darlings were nowhere to be seen. Good planning in one way, I felt, but perhaps it led to a shortage of bodies, which was borne out by the buffet which seemed to cater for triple the number of guests!

Though they were few in number, they were many in spirit, and took to the dancefloor very early on. Once we'd got some requests coming in, and alcohol down throats, it was a very relaxed atmosphere, and very friendly. A modicum of tasteful DJ banter and witticisms seemed to help things along, with the help of one or two very lively dancers. All in all, a great night, which I enjoyed immensely. Lovely crowd, lovely staff, and the hotel was easier to navigate than it might have been.

Mention must go to the staff, who dimmed the lights and drew curtains early on, were clear and unequivocal about bar closing times, and put the house lights up the instant I said goodnight. If Carlsberg made venue staff..................... Superb.
    Glad they looked after you, I left instructions with the manager to ensure your trip was a good one, Both lighting desks are a challenge but once mastered can generate some interesting results.
    I am back there this week so you better not have broken anything!!