Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 505 of 564 FirstFirst ... 5405455495503504505506507515555 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,050 of 5636

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I use even less than that

Battery operated bluetooth speaker (currently a QTX Busker but about to become a Maui 5 Go due to the number of these gigs I'm starting to get) with an app called "Go Button" on the iPad via Bluetooth. I don't tend to offer mic'ing up of celebrants/registrars and to be honest, have never been asked for it. If needs be, I'll find a suitable wireless setup for that when the time comes.

Doesn't get much simpler.
    I hear what you say, Wayne.(Actually, I see what you type, but that's nitpicking). In all cases so far, I've had 240v of some description within easy reach, but the 5 Go was considered long ago. My celebrants have usually accepted the offer of a Mic, and some have said they'd bring their own if I couldn't provide one!

Gavin, I'll look into something like that. Cheers, g4music are quite near me.
    Anyway oads, back on topic please. Thanks.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Default How do you measure success?

Well if you measure it as freezing your bits off in a tent, being largely ignored by guests, who are intermittently coming up and asking " what do we need to get this started properly ", then I had a corker last night.

Small house party last night, near Scarborough. Garden on many levels, disco tent at the highest point, furthest away from house, heat, bar, and food. Every time I thought I'd hit a rich seam, it was the old three song dancefloor. Full for three, empty for six, full for three, empty for eight..............

Some very diverse requests, including some oddball ones from mainstream artists, such as Pretenders and Eurythmics. The token two under twelves wanting R'n'Bilge constantly, and me trying ( unsuccessfully ) to fit tunes into a semblance of order.

Finished the night with a full* floor, customer in raptures, and a £10 tip. Go figure.

* Full floor. Since a Micron Booth and one Maui 11 effectively took up a quarter of the tent, in this case, a full floor was anything over five people.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Well if you measure it as freezing your bits off in a tent, being largely ignored by guests, who are intermittently coming up and asking " what do we need to get this started properly ", then I had a corker last night.

Small house party last night, near Scarborough. Garden on many levels, disco tent at the highest point, furthest away from house, heat, bar, and food. Every time I thought I'd hit a rich seam, it was the old three song dancefloor. Full for three, empty for six, full for three, empty for eight..............
    I had this last year. The couple put me facing out of their garage onto their driveway, which would have been fine except that the house and patio was about 200m to my hard left so the guests up there could barely here me (or see me!) The customer came up to me at the end... "in hindsight it might have been better if we'd put you with the guests by the house"
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Default Phew, what a scorcher!!

Wedding in a monastery, on the day of record breaking heat. I think I could have got away with bermuda shorts and flip flops, but settled for the suit for first dance, then ditched the jacket once that was done. Immense thanks must go to the inimitable Davesounds, for assisting load in and setup, despite being in agony from a troublesome knee. Ouch! Also, for lending me a fan which I think was a 747 turbine in a former life!! Genius, Dave.

The night was uneventful, as I didn't see meany guests after the first dance. At times, they were all outside on the grass, as the bar ( in another distant room ) was hot as well. Seems I played the right songs, as the paymaster ( Groom's Mum, lovely Lady ) shook my hand at the end, and thanked me, as did the bride. Just too damn hot. Everybody was flaking by 9pm, and hadn't much left for the expected late rush.

All in all, a good gig, due in no small part to Dave, thanks mate, I owe you.

Last night consisted of taking my QTX battery speaker outside (dunno why it was in the van but hey ho) plugging laptop in and having disco and karaoke.

Groom even insisted not bothering setting up inside and said everything was perfect and they had an amazing time.

Wish I could do more like that
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Well that went better than expected

Those that are members of the private forum will know I was a little worried about tonight. The hotel apparently has been likened to Fawlty Towers in the national newspapers (I didn't know this until last night)....hmmmm....no comment

Anyhoo....marquee in the back garden on the wettest day of the year so far. No easy access - everything had to be manhandled around the side of the building (even a trolley wasn't going to work on this one) and into said tent.....in the rain.

Very small setup area on a very dubious floor. I do wish marquee companies would think to put something solid at least under where we or a band set up....it'd make life sooooo much more stable.

As happens, things overran.....a LOT. My 7pm first dance quickly became an 8:30 first dance, with a lot of the 77 assembled guests disappearing before that, and many more just after. Bets were on to see if we'd make it to the midnight finish.

I should also mention, I had a playlist for this one, well....more of a suggestion list, which totalled 26.2 hours of music! Now I'm one of those who loves playlists, and when they're this long, surely there must be some gems to select from.

Yes, there were!

Buried between the entire back catalogues of Beyonce, Rihanna, Sheeran and Paramore, one of the songs I had to play early on (customer's wishes and all that) was the Conga.

This was shortly followed by some of the many Abba songs on the list, Take That, S Club 7.....can you see where this is going?
    Oh yes, Macarena, YMCA and the Cha Cha slide made appearances tonight as well.....all requested by guests and all actually within the list.

The result? Only about 40 guests in a big marquee and most of them filling the 12x12 patch of wood in front of me for most of it

Happy DJ

The last conversation of the night was actually with one of the venue staff. Turns out her daughter is a wedding coordinator at one of the big local venues and is in desperate need of a decent DJ to recommend to couples. "Here's my card" came the reply

Week of next week, then back to all day in a Tepee - I hope the weather's better than this!

Must have been the day for " better than expected". I was out with the FFN for my least favourite crowd. " Boisterous and enthusiastic " is the polite description. I've had to create a special rig for them just to keep my kit fairly safe. Sub under the deckstand, tops on gravity poles with the plates partly under the booth, and lights on poles from the booth. Might even refine it to lash the Gravity poles to the booth, and stick the Powerbar behind me. Either that, or erect a fence a couple of metres in front of me.

FFN love them, as they're so responsive. I'm less impressed, but I'd have to say they were better than usual. Ah well, don't care now, off on hols shortly. Meeting some Forum Legends with a bit of luck, staying in a Wetherspoons, it doesn't get much better than that.

have you got a piccie of such a set up, Pete?

Quote Originally Posted by mbp View Post
    have you got a piccie of such a set up, Pete?
    Ask, and ye shall receive. Should be in Gallery, I'll move it when I get home. Speakers on gravity poles, lights on home made Ultimax split poles. Compact and simple, as folk commented last night.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Did you run a sub under the booth?