Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 549 of 564 FirstFirst ... 49449499539547548549550551559 ... LastLast
Results 5,481 to 5,490 of 5636

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Sounds like you had a good night!

Coldplay though? What have I missed?

Julian
    Not entirely sure apart from the fact it's of their era and didn't get the chance to ask. May have been something they used to do when they were younger? Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

Actually, it was a very good day, and I was only there for that length of time due to various "errors" in the booking which only came to light in the week running up to the day.
    Errors in the booking? Like believing the house DJ was optional, not mandatory? That's £500 gone.
    And the latest one, a booking that's never going to be a big payer, client asks after signing the contract ( and obviously noting the lack of something ) " Err, I have booked Disco and Karaoke, haven't I"? Well since there wasn't any mention of it being required on the site, the email, or the notes, no. Guess asking for extra money there will be popular.

Highlight of the night for me was the last song. The couple had asked for Coldplay's Chasing Cars which I thought would end up with a good old fashioned circle of love. Nope...the remaining guests laid down on the dance floor ALA Chris Martin and singing along. Something different and memorable and a nice way to end what had been a long but very good day
    Sounds like you had a good night!

Julian
    Oh come on Children. We have a similar game at the world's only Submarium. ( The Deep in Kingston Upon Hull, in case you didn't know .) When you play Adele- Rolling In The Deep, they all get on the floor and roll from side to side.

Chasing cars? " If I lay here, If I just lay here, Would you lie with me and just forget the world"? Simples. Like James- Sit Down, also sometimes.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Highlight of the night for me was the last song. The couple had asked for Coldplay's Chasing Cars which I thought would end up with a good old fashioned circle of love. Nope...the remaining guests laid down on the dance floor ALA Chris Martin and singing along. Something different and memorable and a nice way to end what had been a long but very good day
    Did Coldplay do a cover of Chasing Cars? I can't find it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Oh come on Children. We have a similar game at the world's only Submarium. ( The Deep in Kingston Upon Hull, in case you didn't know .) When you play Adele- Rolling In The Deep, they all get on the floor and roll from side to side.

Chasing cars? " If I lay here, If I just lay here, Would you lie with me and just forget the world"? Simples. Like James- Sit Down, also sometimes.
    I got the lyrics bit and the link to the video. Was just a first for me with guests laying down on the dance floor for the last song of the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    And the award for the person spotting the obvious mistake of the DJ that did a stoopidly long shift yesterday followed by waaaay too little sleep (my bones still ache 24 hours later after so much standing around ) goes to Gavin - well spotted that the massive typo should have read Snow Patrol

And the award for the person spotting the obvious mistake of the DJ that did a stoopidly long shift yesterday followed by waaaay too little sleep (my bones still ache 24 hours later after so much standing around ) goes to Gavin - well spotted that the massive typo should have read Snow Patrol
    Yeah.... and you missed my more subtle hint in my original reply 4 posts earlier

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    In my defence, I was having a Senior Moment.

That's now becoming my excuse of choice, tee hee.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Yeah.... and you missed my more subtle hint in my original reply 4 posts earlier

Julian
    I was tired (better and less scary than having a senior moment )

Default No longer a Pioneer CDJ virgin!!!

It's been quite a while since I posted here but the gig I did on Friday absolutely warrants crowing about. Through let's say, various connections & circumstances I managed to snag myself a spot at a bar to play at Leeds First Friday's 15th birthday party - in Bar Fibre's Penthouse no less. For the uninitiated, Leeds First Friday is a big monthly social event for transgender folk, their friends & allies. People who go have a broad spectrum of tastes & I wanted to reflect that as much as possible without being too 'Fibre'-y (think the kind of stuff Capital Dance plays all day long & you won't be too far wrong).

First of all I was of a mind to DJ the event without hauling laptop & controller around (they wouldn't fit in my handbag anyway ).

So Pioneer Rekordbox was the order of the day. About 6 weeks ahead of time I started prepping in earnest making edits & remixes of tunes I thought would go down well. The idea was that I might play until midnight when the Penthouse would be opened up to regular VIP card holders & I could have the option to go on til 3am - so I amassed a collection of classic house tracks too - 450 odd in total on the main USB stick - and an emergency premix - and a warmup premix - and backups & backups of the stick. I didn't have any way to check the USB would even be read by a CDJ2000 let alone work.

By sheer coincidence it turned out a regular of the LFF event lives not far from where I work & said I could pop round & check my Rekordbox exports worked on their CDJ900.
    They did, so that was a load off my mind. Ah but by the time Friday came around I'd added loads more tracks to the collection so as Friday night approached I got nervous again.
    I arrived at the venue at 5.30pm but we weren't allowed in until just after 7pm (I was to start at 9).
    On getting in there, first I had to switch the gear on.. I knew the power switch was on the right hand side at the back of the decks & mixer but where?
    Hahaha.
    I got the first player to read my stick just fine, pressed LINK on the second.. both players could see all the tracks yay!
    I found deck one's channel on the DJM900NXS.. but not deck 2... hmmm. I checked the input selectors... nope still nothing.
    Lucky nothing was enclosed & I traced the RCA cable from the back of deck 2.
    It was free at the other end!
    I plugged them into the mixer & I was in business.Everyone started to arrive after a ceremony out on the street & I played my premix until I got a great intro from the coordinator and a rousing round of applause as I pressed play on deck 1... An acappella of Pink's 'Get the party started' - edited so she sings 'get this party started on a Friday night' as opposed to Saturday night..

Here's how it went down...

Pink - Pink Party Friday Acapella (Keyed)
    Lizzo - About Damn Time (Purple Disco Machine Remix – Extended)
    Dimitri From Paris, Chic - Le Freak (Dimitri From Paris 2018 Remix)
    Spiller - Groovejet (If This Ain't Love) (Extended Vocal Mix)
    Bee Gees - You Should Be Dancing Groovefunkel (Quantised)
    The Human League - Don't You Want Me (Purple Disco Machine Extended Mix)
    Jackers Revenge, Lissat - Voulez Vous
    Donna Summer - I Feel Love Juski Edit
    Abba Vs Robin S - Gimme Gimme Gimme Love Juski Edit
    Baccara - Yes Sir I Can Boogie Juski Edit
    Sister Sledge - We Are Family Juski Edit
    The Shapeshifters - Lola's Theme (Original Vocal Mix)
    Armand Van Helden - You Don't Know Me (Feat. Duane Harden)
    Madonna - Into The Groove Juski Edit
    Yazoo - Don't Go Juski Edit
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax - Juski Edit
    Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams Juski Edit
    Animotion - Animotion - Obsession Juski Edit
    Livin Jam - Dreamer (Juski Edit)
    Rihanna - Don't Stop The Music
    Sclub 7 - Don't Stop Movin' (Jewels & Stone Remix)
    Steps - Tragedy Juski Edit
    Cher - Believe (Juski Edit)
    Gala - Freed From Desire (Full Vocal)
    The Original - I Luv U Baby (Dancing Divas 1995 Remix)
    Tori Amos - Professional Widow (Armand's Star Trunk Funkin' Mix - Radio Edit)
    Tim Deluxe Feat. Sam Obernik - It Just Won't Do
    Lady Gaga - Born This Way Juski Edit
    Whitney Houston - How Will I Know Found Love Juski Mash
    Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) (David Solomon Remix - Extended)
    Erasure - A Little Respect (Juski's 2017 Rework)
    Garbage - Cherry Lips Juski Edit
    Zz Top - Gimme All Your Lovin Juski Edit
    Metallica - Metallica - Enter Sandman Juski Edit Alt (yes REALLY...)

***FIRE ALARM *** apparently triggered by somebody vaping in the loos - which killed the main PA (VOID!!! VOID PA!!! FLIPPING GORGEOUS SOUND!!!) for a while - circumvented by cranking the booth monitors & pointing them out from the booth

New Order Vs Dua Lipa - New Monday Rules
    Pet Shop Boys - It's A Sin Juski Edit
    Snap - Snap - Rhythm Is A Dancer Juski Edit
    Kylie - Can't Get You Out Of My Head Juski Edit
    Nicki Minaj - Starships Juski Edit Acapella Intro
    Bob Sinclar - Rock This Party
    Pitbull Ft Tjr - Don't Stop The Party
    Tinie Tempah - Girls Like (Feat. Zara Larsson)
    Chris Brown - Yeah 3x
    Rihanna - Only Girl
    Martin Solveig Feat. Dragonette - Martin Solveig Feat. Dragonette - Hello
    Duck Sauce - Barbra Streisand
    The Black Eyed Peas - The Black Eyed Peas - The Time (Dirty Bit)
    Soul Central - Strings Of Life (Stronger On My Own) (Danny Krivit Re Edit)
    Alison Limerick - Where Love Lives (Dancing Divas Remix)
    Tensnake - Coma Cat
    Sunkids Feat Chance - Rescue Me
    Pulse Featuring Antoinette Roberson - The Lover That You Are (Soul Solution & Hex Hector Club Mix)
    Alex Gaudino - What A Feeling (Extended Mix)
    Loveland - Let The Music Lift You Up Full On Vocal Mix
    Ultra Nate - Free Juski Edit
    Incognito - Always There David Morales Remix
    Source Feat Candi Staton - You Got The Love
    Kings Of Tomorrow - Finally (Original Extended Mix)
    Soft Cell - Say Hello Wave Goodbye Almighty Mix Extended

Requests? WHAT REQUESTS? I can hardly believe I smashed it just by educated guesses like this.. but apparently I did.

I messed up a few mixes a tiny bit - loops take some getting used to on CDJs but I was blown away by how responsive those players are compared to my trusty Denon MC7000.
    The feedback I've had since then.. this might not be my last stint there... not bad for my first attempt on CDJs huh? I finished just after midnight, an absolute wreck wrapped up in spent nervous energy.. I packed up (put my USB sticks in my pocket & headphones in a bag LOL) & by 1am was at The End having a gentle decompress & some very large gin cocktails.

I got to bed about 5am, woke at 8.30 & drove home. That left me a couple of hours to chill, then load the car (goodbye van!) & go to my favourite castle for a wedding.
    How on Earth I managed that on so little sleep I've no idea but the client was very happy at the end of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    In my defence, I was having a Senior Moment.

That's now becoming my excuse of choice, tee hee.
    That has become my ONLY excuse.

Default Oh yuss!

I'm beginning to feel like I'm back in the game.

Tonight was another wedding, in a venue I've been wanting to work in for a VERY long time and literally three miles from my front door (very handy as I got the news yesterday that the van turbo's seized and needs major surgery).

From my side of things, it was the perfect night!

Got there a little earlier than intended just in case things were running ahead of time (yeah I know...wedding's don't do that!), offered coffee by very friendly front of house staff and had a good natter about stuff as if I'd known them for years.
    Got into the room 20 minutes ahead of time to find I should have brought a much smaller setup with me (I'd not had the opportunity to visit before the day). Hey ho....a single lighting pole it is then. I also noticed a very sensitive DJ nightmare on the wall opposite, only to be told not to worry, it's not connected to the plugs I'm going to be using (just as well because the damned thing was lit up like a Christmas tree all night!)

Got everything up in 30 mins (impressed the venue AND the photographer with that feat) and was ready to rock and roll. Everything looked good tonight: The booth scrim's been freshly laundered, the white Maui's freshly repainted and it just suited the venue to a tee. And to add to my general smugness, the Prime4 worked out of the bag without the need for a hairdryer - the second time this week. Maybe it only works April to September or something

The bride had given me 40 songs to play throughout the evening, with permission to go my own way as needed to keep things busy. It was a playlist of mainly 80s music (yay) which the guests absolutely lapped up. In fact the only one that bombed from her list was ACDC's Thunderstruck which left me with three lads nodding their heads on the dance floor looking like they were trying to sober up

Other than that, the dancefloor literally never died.

Ended the night with a fake finish on a full dancefloor, and the guests were actually too polite to chant for "one more song". I'd warned the bride and groom about this and played it anyway to many cheers and lots of arm waving (Brightside still works in these parts and it's what they'd asked for as their last song).

Packed up and in the van in dead on 30 minutes (yet more Brownie points scored with the venue), unloaded at my lockup and home before 1am.

A perfect night in every sense of the word