Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 552 of 564 FirstFirst ... 52452502542550551552553554562 ... LastLast
Results 5,511 to 5,520 of 5636

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Got timed out on this a while back, so second attempt.

Saturday was a 50th Birthday, at a golf club a colleague supplies DJs to. I appear to be The Chosen One, according to the lovely manageress, who is on the same page as me regarding running events.

I got a playlist ranging from Grunge, Rock, Metal, Anthems, through unusual songs by regular artists, ending up with Oops and Superman!

The cake deserves a mention all of its own, it featured a lifelike hand, doing the " Horns " gesture, on a base adorned with album covers. I spotted Slippery When Wet on there after a cursory glance.

The gig. Birthday girl was lovely, but the night never quite took off as we'd hoped. The floor was sporadic, but never empty, and I got in many of the Classics, Grease Megamix, Cha Cha Slide, and Oops among others, but what of Superman?

I couldn't find a slot for the man of steel, until I got the chance to finish with Superman, followed by Wonderwall.

Wayne, I didn't think it was my finest hour, but guests, clients and staff were well satisfied. We are our own worst critics.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Default AWESOME

Wedding last night in a nice little manor house I've not had the opportunity to visit since before you know what sent the world a little bit wobbly.

Knowing this venue well, it was a smallish setup as you're always stuck in the corner of the room. Except tonight where they'd change which corner the DJ sets up in - right next to an open window

It's been stupidly hot and humid here this week, and I worried when I got there and saw the guests struggling through the speeches with hand fans and some of them physically soaked through their shirts. I had this feeling of doom for the evening's shenanigans.

Eventually got to room turnaround around half an hour later than planned, got set up in double quick time to try to bring things back on track a little, then had to stop as I was literally soaked. The temperature in the room was hovering around the 30 degree mark. Luckily there's a nice built in window seat just below the aforementioned open window....just the right height for my mahusive floor fan to stand on.....ahhhh - bliss!

So to the dancing. Surprisingly there was a LOT of it. In fact the dance floor truthfully never emptied all night. The guests were absolutely drenched by the end of the evening looking like they'd just come out of the shower. There were even a couple of dozen dancing outside my window in the car park! It was mainly 90s and noughties based with a couple of older ones for older guests (which didn't really fit in but made those particular relations' night. I got big thanks for those!

As with nights like this where it goes so well, the 11:45pm music curfew came around waaaay quicker than expected. Still 22 degrees outside, I was back in the van and on the way home by quarter past midnight.

Now for a couple of hours kip before the highlight of the village year, where I'm going to be dressed as Captain Chaos for the local Primary School's annual fundraiser. At least it's going to be about 10 degrees cooler than last year for that one.

Default All hail Mr Jackson!

For going above and beyond the call of duty, helping out a colleague, and just generally being awesome.

The back story: That famous law dictates that I've had three fairly last minute enquiries for discos less than five miles from my house, when I'm already booked. The final one will see Dave Hughes ( Davesounds ) covering ( thanks Dave, really appreciated ) until hopefully I return from an early finish Hockey presentation. Next Saturday is mainly kit hire for a party with bands and a DJ who is going to have to run the night.

Last night was a wedding vow renewal for a couple living nearby. There were to be numerous DJs there who were planning on doing guest slots, we had a Ceilidh band who were allegedly going to need some kit in the field behind our barn, and anything else that we might be called upon to provide.

Due to the requirements, Dave turned up on Friday to install some kit with me, and brought an impressive array of lights, which we hung from the gantry provided for us, a mighty structure you could have hung a car from! I decided we needed a bit more wash, and put some in on Saturday morning. We returned early Saturday afternoon to put the finishing touches to everything, tidy up, and be ready for the Ceilidh band, who turned up, worked in a totally different area than we expected, and were lovely fellas and totally self sufficient.
    As Dave said, if we'd waited till 8pm to come back, we'd have been needed for a dozen things. Because we were early, we weren't but we had a precursor of an issue. While moving a speaker cable I tripped the power. Dave found out where the breaker had cut out, and we were back in business.

Nobody really wanted to see us till late, as food and drink were a hundred yards away, and it was sweltering in the barn. Dave was the DJ for the night, I wasn't going to attempt to drive his Denons, ( don't know what they were, but they come in three pieces, and look like my Prime when it's been on a bodybuilding course, and lived on steroids for a month ) other than to load a track on one side, just to prove I could. He was going great guns, until we lost power again, virtually the whole venue went off. We couldn't rectify the fault, other than to see it was on my cables, not Dave's, so brought the Maui 5 GO in to run on batteries, once Dave had restored lights.

Various of the DJs in the crowd wanted to have a bash on the decks, one lad wanted to plug his laptop in, which was technically possible, but not going to happen. ( Dave had instructed them to bring USB sticks if they wanted a go previously ) a couple of them had a try at it, and made a total pig's ear of things. They handed the reins back to Dave, who switched off near 2am, and we stripped as much kit as we could, before both coming to my house to bed.

6am this morning, and I'm tentatively plugging in the PA which had seemingly died last night. I didn't run it up too much, but everything lit up, and made a noise. Looks like a day of checking cables beckons. We grabbed the last of the kit this morning, and Dave headed home to civilisation.

Once again, heartfelt thanks to the man for facilitating something I couldn't have done myself in any way, and generally being awesome. Thanks mate, I owe you.

Default Best roadie ever!

What a weekend!

The amount of work put it by my colleague was amazing, Yes it was on his doorstep but between us we turned a very boring barn into something resembling a nightclub.
    Five lasers Four moving heads, two UV floods, four par cans, two smoke machines, one hazer plus a little extra from Peter.
    Three hours of wiring up on Friday night, A little delay on the Saturday afternoon in which we were both forced to partake of the Wold Top beer and some Lamb wraps.
    The music was bouncing the crowd very lively the Temperature very very hot.
    The power issue was disappointing but we were calm and had some sound back quite quickly.

A very long day but some quality time with a very 'Old Git' who helped to make it all happen.
    Cheers Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by djdj View Post
    What a weekend!

A very long day but some quality time with a very 'Old Git' who helped to make it all happen.
    Cheers Peter.
    He's a good lad, that Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by djdj View Post
    What a weekend!

The amount of work put it by my colleague was amazing, Yes it was on his doorstep but between us we turned a very boring barn into something resembling a nightclub.
    Five lasers Four moving heads, two UV floods, four par cans, two smoke machines, one hazer plus a little extra from Peter.
    Three hours of wiring up on Friday night, A little delay on the Saturday afternoon in which we were both forced to partake of the Wold Top beer and some Lamb wraps.
    The music was bouncing the crowd very lively the Temperature very very hot.
    The power issue was disappointing but we were calm and had some sound back quite quickly.

Cheers Peter.
    Mr Jackson is too modest. I often say that there are very few gigs I couldn't have done, but this was one. I had one or two wry smiles watching the " Professionals " trying to master Mission Control, and failing miserably. They were playing to about 5% of the crowd, whereas Dave was hitting about 99% with ease. There's being self-indulgent, and then there's playing to your audience.

Default Hard work.

A multi op near me who I have worked for in the past contacted me recently to ask about my availability in the near future. Two of his " best and longest serving " DJs have been side-lined on health grounds. One with tachycardia, and one with a stroke, at 46 and 52 respectively! Good job I've already had the rebuild then.

Friday saw me heading to Topcliffe, well over an hour away. I arrived early, at a nice pub, which has changed hands, and is undergoing renovations. It was a wedding, low key affair ( but not low budget ) and guess what? I couldn't get access yet. That's fair enough, but when I'm hanging about, like the spectre at the feast, you'd think they'd see the logic in letting me in as soon as possible, and I could have been in much earlier.

The daughter of the groom was to sing a few tracks, and between client, hotel, and my boss, communication was virtually nil, despite everyone saying they were pushing for it. So, I've got no music policy, no first dance, and a Lightning to 1/8" jack socket. Be prepared.

Now I was told Daughter was singing first dance, but no. Leona Lewis was ( with a little help from me ) and Daughter was bashing out a few later. She told me they were " relaxed" and they were, to a great extent. She was delighted to find that I was fully prepared for her, and we lashed her phone in to play what were often from Karaoke tracks from Youtube. I had at least the first one on my laptop anyway, so could possibly have done it myself, but to be fair, it sounded fine, and she had a brilliant voice. I suspect she's not a total amateur, she was good, and nice to hear.

From there, some background music, then buffet for the evening guests, before the dancing. The title said Hard Work, and it was. Three styles, Ska/2 Tone/Madness ( more of that later ) and early Indie, 90s Dance/80s and a half hearted response to the Usual Suspects. I basically had three people asking for songs for the whole crowd. Turns out the groom is a huge Madness fan, and we finished the night with two from them. At 1am!

Goes in the book as a win, especially when one of the staff asked for a card at the end because " I've been listening to the great music you played all night, and you're better than the one we normally have", but ethics and travelling prevented me from doing so.

One of mine tonight, with a cracking two hour Must Play Playlist ( anything that starts with Touch Me-Doors, Sir Duke and The Snake is heading in the right direction, believe me ) and an eight hour " If Possible"! I've got some kit out on hire near home, and I'm hoping to call in there as I come home, they may well still be running in the early hours. Party animals round here, and there's another one in a fortnight, if the kit holds out.

Default Not seen that before!

Friday was a wedding for what I'd take to be a second time round couple, so could easily be around their fifties. Saturday was a 50th Birthday in a Rugby Club at the far side of Leeds. Just to elevate my stress levels a bit more, I'd hired out a PA and some lights for a party near home, but more of that later. It was decent access, but set up in an alcove that was lovely and deep, but just that little bit too narrow for comfort, especially when a dozen folding tables are at the side of you.

So, there was some correlation between the ages of guests at both functions, so much so that I've never seen so much replication in the playlists, especially as Friday was " freestyle " and Saturday a playlist. The big difference was that on Friday, dancing was sporadic, but Saturday's floor never really emptied, mainly due to the birthday girl. For Wayne's benefit, I got Pizza, and the biggest Samosas I've ever seen. I know he was very well cared fr in that respect. At the end, I was praised loudly by the guests, and that was lovely. I hadn't much time to bask in the glory, as I wanted to check on my kit at the party.

When I arrived there at 2am, it was in full swing, and my kit was functioning nicely. I availed myself of a pint, got more praise for the kit provided, and went home, cos I knew this one wasn't finishing any time soon. 9 am Sunday saw me pleasantly surprised to find that the chaos I'd seen in the aftermath of two bands covering the area underfoot in cables, had been cleared, and instantly, I could see that basically all my kit had survived, and all my cables were still there. Nice.

My next aim is bed.

Default It promised so much.

60th Birthday at a Hotel in Leeds I covered at Christmas, and had one of my best parties at. I had no traffic issues, surprisingly, and arrived early, got set up in a suitable manner, and found a space to park the van. (At this venue, there is a car park, but it's not Transit friendly). Birthday girl was lovely, and gave me a guide of very acceptable chart songs, and party classics. All was set fair, what could go wrong?

Basically, the hot weather, and the venue having a very attractive bar in another room, compared to the very basic one in the function room. Led to may not coming in early, so very lonely start to the night. Despite the birthday girl wanting the guaranteed floorfillers played, they didn't do what we wanted, and I couldn't get a big proportion of the guests on the floor at any time. Of the dancers, it was usually about a third of them at once.

I did my job, and it was one of those nights when it just didn't all come together. Ah well. 80's night tonight in a Golf Club, let's hope for party animals at this.

Last night I had a gig that I had beeen partly dreading and partly looking forward to! It was a small Wedding celebration in the (1st floor) function room of a gastro pub for a couple who got married earlier in the day in the Royal Botanical Gardens in Bath (beautiful setting!)

I'd had fairly sporadic communication with the couple, having been booked by one of their parents through a lead gen site and I had a total of 5 song requests (first dance, second dance and 3 others). The odd layout of the venue meant that I had to bring kit in at 4pm prior to their arrival and then return to set up at 7pm as soon as the speeches finished and I'd already been warned to keep volume levels down as the pub was right next to a hotel. Yesterday comes around and I stop on double yellows, check in with the venue staff, throw the bare minimum kit into the venue (micro booth, 2x Helix, 6x uplighters, decks laptop and 1x Maui 5 Go for sound) and then go to find somewhere I can leave the van. On my return at 5:15, the couple are there without any guests and I introduce myself and go downstairs in the pub for some food. I'm already starting to doubt the timeline, but whatever.

7pm and I'm back in the venue and they're just finishing mains... Speeches start at around 8pm and we ended up with the first dance just before 9pm once tables had been moved and removed to make something of a dance floor. Did I mention that I had a stop at 10:30pm because of the hotel? The venue did offer to let me continue at background levels until 10:50pm, but I declined...

All in all it was actually a fun evening - knowing I only had about 90mins with them, I went in with back to back party classics mixed with a few of their requests (which were all good songs and on the money for the audience) and the group of about 30-40 guests went for it (despite the heat!) The single Maui 5 Go was running more or less on it's limit, but was exactly what was needed and gave a well rounded sound for the numbers and the space.

Lots of thanks on the way out, a relaxed pack down and exit (once I'd walked to retrieve the van) and in bed by 11:30.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography