Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 219 of 564 FirstFirst ... 119169209217218219220221229269319 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,190 of 5636

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Busy week for me this week with lots of meetings for upcoming bookings so it was nice to get back behind the decks last night.
    Bit of something different for me though. Despite having DJ'd for a fair few years now, I have to say that I have never been in the position where I have been asked for Waltz, Swing, Foxtrot etc etc...

The function was an RAF Dinner & Dance for 100 Ex-Services. I met with the top man last week and talked through how he wanted it to run because they had previously been entertained by another DJ. Because I hadn't done anything of this nature before, I was understandibly (I hope) a bit apprehensive about how I would cope. The Manager informed me that the customer is a very good customer of the hotel and also mentioned that he was impressed by me asking to meet beforehand. He couldn't thank me enough when I arrived last night.

I actually really enjoyed the night because it was doing something different. They loved the 50's & 60's and I had some line dancing requests as well as the Ballroom type stuff. I had prepared for this one properly so had everything that I thought they may like in one folder on my laptop so that I could refer to it when needed.

I felt a tad uncomfortable at the end when I played the National Anthem and everyone was looking my way as they sang along and saluted but that's because I hadn't done anything like that before. Got some great feedback after the last songs - Hey Jude and New York, New York and also an email from the Manager this afternoon saying that I did well.

Tonight is another different gig for me. This time I am providing a beefier set up with additional lighting and lasers for a summer party in a barn. The customer wants Chart, Dance & RnB and that's it so that's what they'll get. I'll be trying to get some video at some point because once the set up and bar and decorations are in, it's a great transformation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post

I

I felt a tad uncomfortable at the end when I played the National Anthem and everyone was looking my way as they sang along and saluted but that's because I hadn't done anything like that before. Got some great feedback after the last songs - Hey Jude and New York, New York and also an email from the Manager this afternoon saying that I did well.
    Some of the older DJs will recall when playing at the end of an event Auld Lang Syne and sometimes GSTQ ( National Anthem) was common place---ESPECIALLY at Military type events.

Uncomfortable

Olympic Games London 2012 should make this easier on the ear considering how many golds we won

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    Some of the older DJs will recall when playing at the end of an event Auld Lang Syne and sometimes GSTQ ( National Anthem) was common place---ESPECIALLY at Military type events.

Uncomfortable

Olympic Games London 2012 should make this easier on the ear considering how many golds we won

Totally agree, it's our National Anthem, a song to be proud of and sing heartily!

Crazy K, Silver, I think you've misunderstood what Gary was saying: Gary wasn't saying he was uncomfortable playing the National Anthem; he was saying that he felt uncomfortable because everyone stood up and looked at HIM (ie turned to face where the music was coming from, as you do when the anthem is played - whether it be a band or a DJ)

Thanks Angela, that's EXACTLY what I meant.

Thanks Angela, that's EXACTLY what I meant.
    Makes sense.

ADMITTEDLY in my job everyone looks in my direction and listens to me all night and they hang on my every word---guess im used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Crazy K, Silver, I think you've misunderstood what Gary was saying: Gary wasn't saying he was uncomfortable playing the National Anthem; he was saying that he felt uncomfortable because everyone stood up and looked at HIM (ie turned to face where the music was coming from, as you do when the anthem is played - whether it be a band or a DJ)
    Okay right.

Hold on, why does it feel like some people are actually questioning this?
    Angela explained the reason I felt like I did far better than I could have. I didn't quite expect everyone to turn around and face me but as I said, despite doing 1000's of gigs over the years, I don't do many like that which is something I am going to have get used to as apparently, they want me to do all future events for them.

Anyway, moving on.....

Last night was another good one for me. The theme was Current Chart, Dance (old and new) and RnB. I don't often get the chance to mix it up a bit and surprised myself with some of the mixes I was coming up with (Pete Heller - Big Love with Yolanda Be Cool - Americano was a good one). The last time I was at the venue I was working in -10 degrees. This time it was the total opposite and my trusty fan came in handy. I really felt for you guys that had to be suited and booted when working and hoped (as Steve said) that you had Air Con.

If your nights were anything like mine then it was a case of people milling about outside. The barn was like a cauldron and very warm. It looked really good in there and the sound was nice and beefy. Lots of dancing from around 10.00pm and that's about it. Pretty easy booking. It took me around 1hr 40m to set up and just under an hour to pack down.

I had a very posh lady (she was known as THE Cougar) approach me a couple of times. She kept asking me to play some "Ibizia type music". I asked her if she had any suggestions or requests and she just stood there waiting for me to play something. I put on some of the old classics like Cafe Del Mar and For An Angel and everyone loved it.... The lady came over again and asked when I was going to play some Ibizia type music. Again I asked for some ideas / requests and again she just stood there.

Really enjoyed this weekend.

Well folks, after last night, I'm thinking of renaming Hulk as Thunderbird 2, and John's website as Internationalrescue.com !!

The lad spent much of Saturday afternoon fielding calls for no show letdowns. I'd come in after a hard day at the office, and John rang to say could I cover one of them? I started to get ready, and it turned out that the one I'd expected to do hadn't replied, but yet another one had come in, and could we do a Karaoke disco instead? I threw some kit in the van, and John gathered up his playout and a monitor. I grabbed the lad, and he directed me to the pub, where we set up as fast as possible. ( On a side note, it was nic to be asked for a PAT test certificate as we walked, well done The Barham. )

After the inevitable hiccups, we soon had sound, then we got the monitor rigged, and finally, after a lot of foul ups on my part, we had karaoke mics and presenter mics.

At this point, I've got to give John praise for being an absolute star, he had the laptop up and running, started playing music, and found Karaoke files and loaded them at a moments notice. I couldn't have done the karaoke side without him, and he was fabulous. Well done that man.

I've also got to mention the heat! Trousers and shirt were too much, and I must have used a can of anti perspirant in the night. Mind you, when the sweat's running down your back like a river, it is a big ask to stop it with an aerosol can!

Stand out moments? John pulling the mains lead out of the wall with his chair, and killing everything except his laptop! Me muting John simply because I could. Laura the barmaid doing a stunning rendition of an Adele song. Me greeting a punter with my customary " Hello Sir", only to realise that the person concerned wasn't a Sir, even as the words left my lips! John coming to grips with the DJ2GO, which we plugged in, and it simultaneously aided and hampered him. I don't think he'll be selling the 6000 to get one. Best one of the night: The Landlady saying as we left " I've never seen so much kit in my life", as John and I were explaining that we'd just thrown a few bits in the van! I think she'd never seen anyone turn up with a DSB before. I reckon the regular acts just threw a lappy on a pub table.

We finished the night to a big round of applause from relieved and happy punters, and left the gig with two warm glows. One from loading the kit in the heat, and one from knowing we'd rescued someone's party. The fact that we'd been paid as well made it even more worthwhile. Big thanks and praise must go to John for everything last night, the lad's a star.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Hold on, why does it feel like some people are actually questioning this?
    Closed question here... Was that statement aimed at me?