Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 503 of 564 FirstFirst ... 3403453493501502503504505513553 ... LastLast
Results 5,021 to 5,030 of 5634

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Mine was notable for being asked for the Dirty Dancing Megamix.
    I get this one sometimes & despite owning two, one from Mastermix & another from dmc I think the requester has complained it isn't the right one. Is there a canonical version?

I generally play my own out around food time which more or less follows the structure of the mastermix version but with much less clunky transitions

Not a party as such for me this weekend. Instead, an annual fundraiser I do for the local primary school.....for FREE (eek!)

Why for free? Because they do some blimmin' AWESOME things for the kids with the money they raise, and I always get a couple of gigs off of the back of it (call it a marketing exercise if you will). Plus, it's a heck of a lot of fun.

A very hot Sunday afternoon spent in a wooden gazebo, various devices being thrust at me by the different arena events for their music (Gawd it's hard work at times).

The end result - £6,000 (yes you read that right.....£6,000!) raised for the school - not bad for a school fete eh?

Next up, a very late wedding booking in a couple of weeks time in a grand old Cambridge University building. I don't know why the booking's come in so late (it's actually my first AddToEvent win!), but it's being coordinated by a very well respected wedding coordinator that I sort of know from an online forum, and I'm only doing three hours following a swing band. Even better, it's looking likely that no lighting is required

Saturday was hot, and Facebook was full of pictures of empty dancefloors. My wedding at Forest Pines for MattyDJ50 was sporadic for dancing, but always someone on the floor. We had both hoped for heat exhaustion to set in with the guests about 11pm, but both gigs went the full distance, though not with a full quota of guests.

Mine was notable for being asked for the Dirty Dancing Megamix, and me complaining that it never works, especially being eleven minutes long. Full floor for the whole thing, DJ with face full of egg.

Under the circumstances, a really good result overall, but it didn't seem like one of the best ever at the time.

Yes, it was a long night. Mine petered out to 11 guests left at midnight with 4 of them telling me that they were there until 1am and had not arranged taxis to take them to another (cheaper) hotel. I suggested that they might like to try ringing the taxis now (midnight) in case they were in short supply later. They did and got one for 2.45am! Bugger. They then decided they wanted Clubland music, so cue the Clubland albums on continuous play. Half an hour later, they were exhausted, so slowie time was asked for and they proceded to slump around the dancefloor until 0059, when I called it a day.

The brides were two lovely and friendly ladies who liked a chat so I was all behind in packing down. Then the fairy godfather arrived in the shape of one old git who promptly moved most of my kit out into the car park for me (thank you kind sir). Then this misty rain appeared, so I shot off to get the keys and start filling my car. It wasn't rainbut the sprinklers from the putting green there. Mind you, their direction was a bit astray as the golf carts, my car and my gear were getting a good wash!

After seven nights in ten, my feet and calf muscles were crying foul, so I was glad to sit down and drive home, though that is extended at the moment by a long 50mph section of roadworks on the M180.

Arrived home dead on 3am and it took me about half an hour to get out of the car. I had siezed up!! Walks into the kitchen to the bomb site that was left my my stepson who coesn't seem to have grasped the concept of washing up yet, when you have made your tea.

And then I remembered I said I would put a load of washing on, including the clothes I had on. But that meant taking the wet washing out of the machine. Mind you, give it a few more minutes and t would have beenlight enough to have hung the washing out to dry!

Bed just after 4am. At least my grandson wasn't around on Sunday to "help" me unload the car.

The last prom this coming Friday then a rare Saturday night off.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Is there a canonical version?
    Yes - 'I've Had the time of my life'

Didn't twig till last year, but I was getting asked for it on a regular basis and played one of the 2 mentioned options which went down like a lead balloon. Made my own mix, but still not successful.

Spoke to a B&G and not sure how, but we got round to it, demoed the full version, No wrong one.
    Put 'Time of my life on' - Yep that is what we want.

Starting asking couples and sending a link so they can hear and nearly everyone says they want the megamix, but really only want Time of My Life.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Improvise, adapt, overcome.

New venue for me on Saturday night where the room itself wasn't the biggest. I'm not saying that it was small, but what I am saying is that the stage that is as tall as I am is probably a bit overkill for the room, especially considering that with the dancefloor so close to said stage that over my Liteconsole, I could only see the tops of heads of those at the furthest end of the dancefloor from me.

Arrived and set up for a 7:30pm start, but it was around that point where for the first time that day, the temperature was nice to be outside in and with beautiful gardens and a few games set up for guests, that's where they stayed for a while. Bride & Groom asked if that was OK and I said "Of course. Let me see if I can add to the feel goods." I started to ask the Duty Manager whether there would be any objections to me putting a speaker outside and playing some chillout tunes for the guests, but he interrupted me and said "I know exactly what you're gonna say - go for it!" Speaker set up, Balearic lounge vibes playing through and everyone just relaxed and enjoyed themselves. The Bride did apologise in case I was offended by them sitting outside and not partying yet and I said not to worry - my job is to play music and assist people enjoying themselves and that is exactly what is happening. Plus, the longer they take, the less work I have to do!

Photographers were relaxed and really sound guys, so that helped a lot with the timings. Finally got the go ahead for the first dance at 9pm, so the speaker was bought back in just before and from that point on, it was a rammed dancefloor, even though the room was very Betty Swallocks!

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Yes - 'I've Had the time of my life'

Didn't twig till last year, but I was getting asked for it on a regular basis and played one of the 2 mentioned options which went down like a lead balloon. Made my own mix, but still not successful.

Spoke to a B&G and not sure how, but we got round to it, demoed the full version, No wrong one.
    Put 'Time of my life on' - Yep that is what we want.

Starting asking couples and sending a link so they can hear and nearly everyone says they want the megamix, but really only want Time of My Life.
    How very odd!

I've had requests for both separately (Megamix or time of my life) & often play Hey Baby then chop mix into Big Girls Don't Cry (or vice versa) to great effect when I do it.. Then Do You Love Me into the Medley & Warnes thing... But will you still love me tomorrow, hungry eyes etc I just don't see as bangers so never play them at peak time anyway.

Anyway, where the heck do they get MEGAMIX from just the 1 track? It doesn't even sound like different songs

Oh speaking earlier of proms.. My only two are this week. Both very different schools so should be interesting....

If this was a boxing match, the ref would stop it, to save me from further punishment
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

If this was a boxing match, the ref would stop it, to save me from further punishment
    Oh dear.....one of those nights?

I take it the guests are glued to their seats then

Well, 2 proms this week. Both very hard work. The first, requests came in for 'the standards' - which I played but the responses were lacklustre to say the least. Haha so off I went on a throwback selection & soon had the place firmly in a rinse cycle right til the very end. Handshakes & fist bumps aplenty from the students - and thankfully no need to tear down the rig because I was going to be there the following night.

Onto tonight's .. er.. shindig then. I was asked to stop the background music before the meal so a teacher could 'say a few words'.. which she did - I sensed that maybe that wasn't the best of starts to the night & I wasn't wrong.

Once desserts were out of the way I got busy cooking up a storm with the music. I got it absolutely jumping & it stayed that way for all of 25 minutes before two large groups left the room. Numbers steadily dwindled no matter what I played & people never returned except to grab a bag or so. Come 1030pm there was literally nobody left in the room but me & the bar staff. Requests up til that point had been for party standards or people asking to sing. Sorry dear, no karaoke here.

It later transpired that some kids had been or were suspected of drinking & a queue formed of students waiting to be sent home. The remainder stayed firmly outside til closing time. Boo!

A very disappointing ending to what could have otherwise been an amazing night

I had some interesting chats with the photobooth people earlier though who told me of a DJ they encountered at a recent wedding who was drunk & not averse to letting off more than the occasional C-bomb over his mic. To the extent he even called the bride & groom c-words as well as anybody else who dared look in his direction. Oh very dear.

In other news, I might have picked up a booking for a midweek wedding of one of the teachers who had originally intended just to have an ipod to play some music.. on seeing & hearing me he told me he's had a rethink. So not all bad then

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Oh dear.....one of those nights?

I take it the guests are glued to their seats then
    To a certain extent, yes, although there was much foot tapping, and general appreciation of the music. So much so that some guests praised the music choice mid gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    It later transpired that some kids had been or were suspected of drinking
    I suspect some of my guests had been drinking, too. Might explain why so many fell over, fell asleep, or both. A combination of long days, high temperatures, copious alcohol intake, and very little buffet to soak it up was a recipe for problems.

Depending on where you were standing/sitting, it was a good gig. For some, their hangovers will attest to the fact that they had a blinding night.
    Venue was dressed beautifully, and looked like a lovely wedding venue, rather than the basic sports club it actually is. The weather was its usual two edged sword, enticing guests to sit outside with a glass or two of something alcoholic, rather than stay inside with me.

Numbers were a tad low, and these guests were never going to wear out the dancefloor. Cue DJ playing effectively background music for ages, and when the evening guests arrived at 7pm, that didn't lift the mood much. It lifted the bar takings a lot, but had little positive effect on the dancefloor.

By the end of the night ( which did in fact come half an hour early, thank the Lord ) it became a Country and Western request fest, until the bar staff took pity, and put the lights up.
    When it comes down to it, I don't think there was much I could have done to improve things, and definitely many of the guests will have had a great time enjoying the music immensely. Sadly, this one ticked a lot of my pet hate boxes. The self appointed steward, who had himself imbibed copiously, was doing his best to get himself chinned by a grumpy old DJ who didn't appreciate his offer of helping to carry the kit out to speed up the exit. His reply to my explanation of why that would be a bad and counter productive idea, did little to leaven the mood, although I'm sure he thought it was hilarious.

My, but we are our own worst critics, aren't we? I bet some folk went home and said what a fabulous time they'd had.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk