Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 236 of 564 FirstFirst ... 136186226234235236237238246286336 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,360 of 5636

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    ...teaching the 5 remaining kids how to make balloon models to a better standard than the other amateur balloon modeller

Julian
    Whilst I understand that you were trying to help the kids have a better time, I really can't understand why you decided to go in to direct competition with the balloon modeller. His work might not have been up to the standard you're used to but he was doing was he was paid to do and, obviously, the client wasn't complaining at that point in time. To me, that would be like someone coming in and setting up a DJ rig opposite/right next to me. I think, if that was me, I'd be a little miffed by your actions especially as this situation has the potential to have the kids go up to him and say "The DJ is better at making balloon animals than you!". I think I'd prefer to let other service providers get on with doing what they've been paid to do and for me to stick to music-based activities.

Only downer was a bloke who was there with his 5yr old son who had a few too many fosters (at 4:00pm?!) and started off being quite normal and joining in with the kids games and then progressed to being a bit scary (having his face painted black) and then to downright abusive. It ended with him threatening me, the mother of the birthday girl and her grandmother and then being taken away by the police with his 5yr old son in the back of the police car.

One for social services in the morning I imagine...

Julian
    That was a bad situation and I really feel for the kids in these situations. I can only hope this was a one-off and that a police ticking-off will be enough for this dad not to do it again. Unfortunately, I can't help but think I'd be proven wrong.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

On Saturday I was back at a venue that used to be one of my residencies. It was the first time in 3 or 4 years and the first thing I noticed was that nothing has changed there at all.
    It was a 60th Birthday party and the 3rd gig I had done for this particular customer as I did his oldest sons weddings 2 years ago and his sons 30th birthday last year. I knew what they liked straight away and the pre-request list was great and full of classic rock tracks too.

I was also supplying Photo Projection for the party too and tested it all out during the morning set up. It looked good. When it came to getting it all started before I started playing any background music I noticed that there was something wrong with the projection and interference. I tried different leads etc but no joy. It was a brand new projector that I had purchased a week ago as I realised that I needed a backup just incase anything went pear shaped with my main one. As the venue was literally 2 minutes down the road from my house, it was sorted pretty quickly.

Busy dance floor for most of the night and a really good atmosphere. Most of the guests had been at all of the parties I had done previously for the family so they had no problem requesting tracks and it was great.
    Really enjoyed the night although it was strange being back in the venue. I was out and back in the house sipping on a nice cold cider by 12.20am!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Whilst I understand that you were trying to help the kids have a better time, I really can't understand why you decided to go in to direct competition with the balloon modeller.
    Misunderstanding... When I said he was amateur, I wasn't insulting him by saying that he was a professional doing a bad job, I meant he was a friend of the organiser who had been given a bag of balloons and an instruction manual and asked to make some models for the kids. The face painter was also a friend who had been given a book and a few trays of face paints they'd got off eBay. While the bouncy castle was a professional one hired through a proper hire company, she was also a friend of the family working at mates rates. I actually I think I was the only fully paid professional there (and I use the word professional loosely )

His work might not have been up to the standard you're used to but he was doing was he was paid to do and, obviously, the client wasn't complaining at that point in time.
    The key point being he wasn't paid. He also gave up after about 45mins of trying and left with his child by about 6:00pm. By the time I started teaching the kids how to do balloon modelling he was long gone, so I wasn't stepping on anyone's toes.

I'm usually far more tactful and helpful if I encounter another professional who I think could be doing a better job

That was a bad situation and I really feel for the kids in these situations. I can only hope this was a one-off and that a police ticking-off will be enough for this dad not to do it again.
    I've since been told that the guy has both mental health issues and a major problem with alcohol abuse. I really feel for the kid. Apparently the organisers felt that they had no choice but to call the police in the end because they couldn't send the kid home in his care.

I did wonder about the sense of having the bar open for a kids party at 3:00 in the afternoon in the first place though...

Julian
    Last edited by DJ Jules; 14-01-2013 at 07:13 PM.
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

started off being quite normal and joining in with the kids games and then progressed to being a bit scary (having his face painted black) and then to downright abusive. It ended with him threatening me, the mother of the birthday girl and her grandmother and then being taken away by the police with his 5yr old son in the back of the police car.
    Anyone else think this could've been a scene straight out of Psychoville?

Default Ladies night

mini gig report, today was a free disco in exchange for a stand at wedding fair later in the year, it started out with me just providing some up lighting to light the stage but i was contacted afew days ago and asked to provide music. The event was a ladies night lots of suppliers to pamper ones self with from candles to reflexology, topless waiters, ariel act, a singer, burlesque act and two fashion shows with lingerie. firtsly i offered use of my mixer to the singer who came along with an ipod and effectivley Karoke tracks, i now know why i say no to the cant you just you just plug my i pod in, out put through the mixer just isnt enough on my vms 4.1 either in line or phono, then to be given a cd by the ladies hanging from the ceiling in hoola hoops Im digital no cd play so hastily ripped from the cd and then given another i pod of tracks for the burlesque act. The singer then brings a memory stick with her tracks and the tracks wanted for the fashion show my laptop has 3 usb ports one forthe mixer and two forthe external drive as not powered no music on laptop so silence for two mins while i copy across the required files.

Also first outing forthe Chauvet rotosphere which im liking alot mounted on a qtx speaker bracket on speaker stand sorted, few teething problems with vms4.1 at the beginnng of the night mainly stopping half way through a mix longer than 9 mins i use a lot of mega mixes etc at start of eveings but other than that really happy cant wait for next gig when i get to play with my bubble king.
    Last edited by marting; 26-01-2013 at 12:09 AM. Reason: didnt make sense probaly still dosnt
    Bournemouth Disco's
    Making Your Night A Good Good Night
    http://www.bournemouthdisco.com

The rotospheres look great but it sounds like a nightmare gig.

Were you informed about having to playback for the acts in advance?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    The rotospheres look great but it sounds like a nightmare gig.

Were you informed about having to playback for the acts in advance?
    I knew about the singer and i was trying to do her a favour by her not having to set up her pa, but the others no

I ,ust admit i have a phobia of i pods etc and have never tried plugging one to my mixer before so didnt know what the result would be me bad, tyhe singer had her mixer but not the leads to connect to mine xlr to phono i only have xlr to xlr for my speakers,

All in all lesson learnt music in data format or cd via the speaker out put on my lap top
    Bournemouth Disco's
    Making Your Night A Good Good Night
    http://www.bournemouthdisco.com

I personally would have told them to go and chase themselves. It's not your job to make sure everyone has playback especially if you're doing a freebie.

Apart from that, putting a USB or CD into your laptop could wreck the thing with viruses...

A wee tip I've picked up when you get people wanting to use your gear for playback the old "can you plug my iphone in and play this tune mate?" is to just say that since you can't be sure the tunes are legit then you can't play it for insurance and legal reasons. Most people will buy into that and even if they don't, it's a bit harder for them to argue over than just telling them to give you peace.

I've just had a really enjoyable weekend and I was doing something different for once.

Friday night I was at my local. It was a 1st Year Anniversary party for the landlord and landlady of the pub and they'd requested a night of cheesiness. I had a whole bunch of requests from them in advance and another load of really bad ones posted on the wall of the facebook event.
    It was mad! I initially thought that some of the more 'too cool for school' brigade (punks, rockers etc) would have a bit of a moan and not get into the vibe but they absolutely loved it. Everyone joined in and it was very busy. Some terrible stuff was played (Cheeky Girls, Mr Blobby, Terry Wogan etc to give you an idea) and the pub was rocking. Lots of great comments and lots of dancing. I loved it.
    Landlord and landlady said to me that it should be a regular thing but we came to the conclusion that 2 or 3 a year may be the best bet.

Saturday night I was back at my local but upstairs in the function room this time for a private party. It was a 30th Disco + Karaoke for 50 people. Karaoke isn't my favourite thing to do but this was really enjoyable. I didn't realise that there were a number of guests there who I had provided Discos for on previous occasions (2 Weddings and 1 Birthday) so I was made to feel very welcome from the off. The birthday boy and a number of his friends also recognised me from a couple of years back when I used to DJ at a Gay/Lesbian night at a local bar. It was very camp last night and there were lots of singers too. I played 2 or 3 songs and then got someone to sing and it worked well. It took me ages to set up but looked really good. I just need to pop back now and break it all down and go up and down the stairs about 50 times.

I've also got more work coming from it which is good.

An enjoyable weekend and as I said, a bit different for me.

Good night.
    I was covering for Gary ( Shakermaker Promotions).
    A late X-mas party in Basingstoke , around 30 guests , played background music during the meal.
    Meal finished at 9:30 pm , I started with a x-mas song ,Fairy tale in new york , a great x-mas song , but does not have the same feel in February.......
    so an evening of chart and cheese , just my sort of gig , 10 people had their meal and retired to the other bar , their loss as every one else was dancing.
    Best songs of the night.
    Gangnam style followed by sexy and I know it ( all the guys were well up for that).
    And for the girls , Ferrier - La bamba.
    Lots of requests , including Rick Ashley - never gonna give you up , followed by Kylie - spinning around.

Still , got a huge round of applause at the end , well done me................

Background music.

Shakatak Sierra Nevada
    Shakatak In My Heart
    Shakatak Lullaby
    Shakatak This Boy Is Mine
    Aaron Neville Tell It Like It Is
    Andantes Like a nightmare
    Ben E. King Stand By Me
    Billy Ocean Red Light Spells Danger
    Deniece Williams Free
    Edwin Starr 25 Miles
    Frankie Gaye Special Day
    Gladys Knight Every beat of my heart
    LA BOPPERS WATCHING LIFE
    BASIA FREEZE THAW
    Gladys Knight & the Pips; The Pips Midnight Train to Georgia
    DJ Class Ft. Lil Jon I'm The Ish
    Shakatak Hypnotised
    Shakatak Don't Blame It on Love
    Keri Ft. Kanye West & Neyo Knock You Down
    Pleasure P 03-Boyfriend_#2-Flo_Rida
    Sean Kingston Fire Burning
    BLUE FEATHER - LET'S FUNK TONIGHT
    Night Birds Covered By Toshiki Kadomatsu ( brought up the volume during this track to dance level )

(Great cover , as good as the original....??)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0L_dwrJ9jM

Main Event

The Pogues feat. Kirsty MacColl Fairytale of New York
    Steps 5, 6, 7, 8
    Sham Rock Tell Me Ma
    Haddaway What Is Love?
    Corona The Rhythm Of The Night
    One Direction Live While We're Young
    One Direction What Makes You Beautiful
    Jls Feat Dev She Makes Me Wanna
    Rihanna Feat. Calvin Harris We Found Love
    Robbie Williams Candy
    Madonna Dress You Up
    Psy Gangnam Style
    Lmfao Sexy And I Know It
    Ferrer La bamba
    DJ Casper Cha Cha Slide
    Los Del Rio Macarena
    Little Nell Time Warp
    Mud Tiger Feet
    Blues Brothers everybody
    Dexy's Midnight Runners Come On Eileen
    Rihanna Only Girl (In The World)
    Nicki Minaj Starships
    Maroon 5 Feat. Christina Aguilera Moves Like Jagger
    Rihanna S&M (Come On)
    Carly Rae Jepsen Call Me Maybe
    Run DMC It's Tricky
    Rick Astley Never Gona Give You Up
    Kylie Minogue Spinning Around
    Madonna Causing A Commotion
    The Trashmen Surfin' Bird ( three guys did the dance , really funny)
    Bryan Adams Summer of '69
    Bon Jovi Livin' On A Prayer
    Guns N' Roses Sweet Child O' Mine
    Status Quo Caroline
    Chuck Berry Johnny B. Goode
    Bette Midler Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy
    Will.i.am Feat Britney Spears Scream & Shout
    Avicii Levels
    David Guetta Feat. Kelly Rowland When Love Takes Over
    Cheryl Call My Name
    Maroon 5 Feat Wiz Khalifa Payphone
    PSY Gangnam Style
    Lionel Richie Endless Love ( last song request)

cheers

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex