Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 415 of 564 FirstFirst ... 315365405413414415416417425465515 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,150 of 5636

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    Oh wow. So how did they find him and book him in the first place. Do you know?
    She saw him on the street and liked the flames

Holy baws Jim, That sounds absolutely mental. Fantastic read though. If you ever write a book, let me know

That was brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    She saw him on the street and liked the flames
    Well fair enough then! A great story for them to relate in the future though. Everyone needs something to make their wedding day memorable!

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    Well fair enough then! A great story for them to relate in the future though. Everyone needs something to make their wedding day memorable!
    If I was easily offended I could take that as a slight

It was funny for the most part but when he was sitting laughing away to himself and then came over and said "Hi, I'm Ryan the piper!" when I'd been speaking to him all day moved him from the quite weird, possibly aspergers to, this guy is quite scary to be around.

Glad you enjoyed the read guys.

I'm not sure if it's around anymore because it was posted on another forum years ago but I once wrote a 18 odd "chapter" piece on the time I had to flee Qatar in the middle of the night. I don't think I ever finished it actually but I'll see if I can locate it, it was written in a similar style. I'm rubbish at fiction.

Murder Misery night. That is all there is to say about it really. Some dancers, mostly in their chairs. I'm secretly hoping they discontinue the disco part of these nights.

I must have done something really really bad in a past life to have become a Mobile DJ in this.
    Nice little cricket club for a wedding with Karaoke. Marriage was in Vegas, so just a party really, no wedding finery on display. Groom wore jeans, and the bride wore something best described as " sleep wear".

Got in early, and set up the kit. My little Behringer karaoke mixer had issues the last two times out, so a very nice Peavey replaced it. It seemed to go well with the Chord Quad radio mikes, which is promising. More than I can say for the guests. They weren't dancers.

The only ones who showed interest were early leavers, and children, I had the obligatory PITA groom's best mate, and the gig limped along to 12.30 before my torture ended. Ah well, move some stuff in the van, and head North ( West ) for a mini Coalville with a man who's currently ecstatic about the most impressive cabs at Coalville.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Another awful one for me last night. Instructions to cut the 1st dance after a verse & one chorus were met with looks of scorn from the bride (hey, you asked for this!), and as I went into the (also requested) Walk The Moon track looks of disbelief from the guests too. Sigh. Ah well, implore the guests to get up on the dancefloor & enforce the fun here we go.. again as instructed. And it worked! For the entire length of the track.

The rest of the night items from the supplied playlist got people up but beyond that nothing much. No requests were forthcoming until there was but half an hour to go, and all these were at odds with what'd worked previously during the night. Last orders couldn't have come fast enough.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Must have been a night for it.

Worked at a venue that may end up on the old "Sorry, I'm washing my hair that night' list. Setup on a stage after climbing some stairs to get to into the room (Benny not a happy bunny by the point) and played a track to do a sound test. Got a good level...excellent. It was only after I started playing properly did I noticed that the venue turned on the sound limiter after I did a soundcheck (why turn it off in the first place?), so I'm now being tetchy watching the damn thing like my life depended on it as I now don't know what my limit is. Gits.

Wasn't a great night - a 40th birthday party where the birthday boy had a 'passion' for bassline. He danced to four bassline tracks. I tried to keep the balance of playing the stuff he liked and keeping everyone else happy, but people were complaining to me that they didn't want to hear this stuff. Not up to me, says I. It's what the birthday boys wants.

Eventually I just thought "sod it" for the last half hour, mixed it up a lot more and had a healthier dancefloor. Not a great gig.

Tonight I'm at a venue that I've worked at loads before, but I had a bit of a ticking off from the last time I was there. Apparently one of the local residents complained about the volumes of music, and it was clearly the DJ's fault. Lest we forget that it's a sound system installed by the venue along with a sound limiter that I worked within the confines of without ever setting it off, but the fact that it was too loud for a local resident even though I worked within their parametres is totally my fault.

Genius.

Well, I didn't have a booking last night as I am still settling in and have next weekend off too before I am back on it until the New Year BUT what I did do was venture out up the road (on my own) to what is my local (5 minute walk) as they were advertising a 'Disco'. I've been chatting, emailing and messaging tons of venues and other DJ's this week with the idea of networking so I deserved a beer (seems strange as it feels like I am starting again).

Erm....Not sure what to say about it really because I didn't see or hear any positives. The cable police would have been very busy that's for sure.
    I don't know whether it was a DIY job or what but I didn't stay long enough to ask any questions.

I contacted this venue before I moved and was due to meet the landlord. At first he sounded very enthusiastic and offered me a booking there the same week I was moving which I declined. He then asked me if I was available on NYE which I also had to decline as I am booked already. I haven't spoken to him as yet because he has either been 'busy' or away on holiday but I get the impression he is a bit narked already? I've sent him 2 messages and not had a reply since I said I couldn't do NYE so I guess I'll tick this one off the list and just go in there when I fancy a beer every now and then.