Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 555 of 564 FirstFirst ... 55455505545553554555556557 ... LastLast
Results 5,541 to 5,550 of 5636

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Default One for the " win " column.

In so many ways. After being stiffed for payment on a gig which was really long and very hard work, I picked up a cover gig for Matthew Western, who has got the dreaded lurgy, and is out of action for now. Get well soon mate.

It was a wedding at his residency, and Glory Hallelujah, because their turn round times were tight, they did things the blindingly obvious way ( if you're a DJ ) by partitioning off the room so that DJ and dancefloor could set up at leisure well beforehand, and play along the pitch, instead of across it! I know I was lighting the far end of a long room with my par cans.

So, a nice relaxed start to the night, first dance 8.30 ish, buffet, and I'm struggling. Only a general music like of bands that aren't overly dance floor friendly early on, a warm night, and lots of nice areas to escape to. Hardly any requests, and Matthew's assertion that weddings weren't going all the way lately looked a safe bet. I'm locked on for an early bath, methinks. Yeah, right.

I have to say, they were a lovely crowd, all ages of course, but the friends and B&G looked around thirties. Requests started to trickle in, and for the whole of the night were surprisingly workable. A bridesmaid gave me an cracking EDM playlist on her phone, and due to the fact that I was attacking the cheeseboard with great success, it was late when I got there. That went down a storm, and I was then into a very varied and random music policy, mainly due to the Mother of the groom insisting on many of The Usual Suspects, Bon Jovi -Livin' on a prayer, which begat Summer of '69, you get the idea. We got Dirty Dancing in at one point, and others which didn't fit the theme at the time, but all worked well.

Guests were dwindling, and looked tired, and my early finish was assured.

Except the Mother of the groom ( a lovely lady, who danced her little socks off ) in particular was going till 1am, come hell or high water! So, alongside her excellent choices, I had loads of Paramore, Fall Out Boy ( artist of the night ), My Chemical Romance, and a spot of Grunge, Pop Punk and the kitchen sink as far as I could see, and thus ten determined and happy guests, one tired and resigned DJ, and a load of very resigned staff saw 1am arrive. Three am when I got home. Still, tonight is a cast iron midnight finish, and maybe earlier. Yippee.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

And today's short notice wedding has given me the first dance and playlist a few hours before I arrive, groom is Greek, so there are some I struggle to spell, and despite the " no Cheese " policy*, the playlist is crammed full of The Usual Suspects. Ah well.

* Macarena, Cha Cha Slide, Oops etc. Action dances, you could say. On the list, Sweet Caroline, Sex on fire, Man I feel like a woman, you get the drift.

Default Timings.

Tonight's wedding was to have a brass band of wandering musicians. At 7.30pm, and I was to fire up at 6.30pm, and get the first dance out of the way. They've just struck up at 6pm. I haven't started yet, as the rain showers drove folk inside, right in front of the Mauis! I give up.

Band finished, buffet time now!

Update: After a bit of background music from me during the buffet, the band are back on! They're outside on the terrace, I'm inside with a room full of tables, so no dancefloor.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 12-08-2023 at 06:53 PM.

I'm not sure the rafters of the 18th century inn tonight's wedding at have ever had to endure as much hard style and German techno before

Turned out to be a cracking night despite the obligatory "this isn't wedding music" patter from a few folk.

Going from flat out the floor rammed and place bouncing to the heavy dance stuff right up to the buffet. The bride and groom were away putting their kid down so I tried to placate the nay sayers with your token low hanging fruit. Cue 6-10 folk shuffling about to Proud Mary and Uptown Funk.

Thought, sod this and got back on to the dance stuff. Place was rocking again - the brides mum practically didn't stop raving the whole night.

Very happy bride and groom, venue boss said she'd loved it asked for cards etc...

Will get the video and pictures done tomorrow then I've got a good few weekends off to chill. I've actually only got 4 weddings left between now and November which is weird but the start of the year was busy so I'm looking forward to a slow slide into a longer break over Winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I'm not sure the rafters of the 18th century inn tonight's wedding at have ever had to endure as much hard style and German techno before

Turned out to be a cracking night despite the obligatory "this isn't wedding music" patter from a few folk.

Going from flat out the floor rammed and place bouncing to the heavy dance stuff right up to the buffet. The bride and groom were away putting their kid down so I tried to placate the nay sayers with your token low hanging fruit. Cue 6-10 folk shuffling about to Proud Mary and Uptown Funk.

Thought, sod this and got back on to the dance stuff. Place was rocking again - the brides mum practically didn't stop raving the whole night.

Very happy bride and groom, venue boss said she'd loved it asked for cards etc...

Will get the video and pictures done tomorrow then I've got a good few weekends off to chill. I've actually only got 4 weddings left between now and November which is weird but the start of the year was busy so I'm looking forward to a slow slide into a longer break over Winter.
    It is nice to hear of successful events.

Mine on Saturday night was a golden wedding party. Driving to the venue the van made a loud clanging noise whilst I was driving. It sounded like something metal had fallen off. It was a broken coil spring that I must have hit as it lald in the road. Origin: another vehicle we later found out.

We arrived at the hall early. It was locked. The party-goers arrived with one key for the main entrance door. BUT we could not access the stage by the rear stage entrance as the iron gates were padlocked and the key was not available. Someone brought the key eventually and we stared to set up half an hour late.

Early on we played background music. Then the children shuffled and ran around kicking balloons on the dance floor.

Later we played Beatles, Stones, 60s Mega-mix, Hokey thingy, Sweet Caroline and some Quo, Barbie Girl, Grease Megamix I Just Called to say...etc. Most guests danced or at least sung along or tapped their feet to the music. Later the event slowed down and we stopped at 11.0pm. The 70 guests were wonderful and we were applauded at the end.

A truly enjoyable night.

Zog.
    Last edited by Zog; 14-08-2023 at 08:16 AM.

Default How did it all work out that well?

I ended up with a gig that should really have been someone else's. A wedding where they got married in Greece a week ago, groom is Greek ( and a lovely fella ) and planned a party here on Saturday. No sit down meal, so access any time says bride. It's a rambling old house, and car park and venue are rammed!

Staff are beyond helpful, they're angels. I park at the front, and get the gear in to a room with wall to wall tables. I have a timeline which is a work of fantasy apparently, and bears no resemblance to the venue's. I get set up, with the intention of doing a first dance, before a surprise seven piece brass band turn up to entertain in one set. The band turn up ninety minutes early according to my notes, and are wonderful. They're also doing two sets. Once they've finished set one, can I get some gear outside, and do the first dance on the patio? Well with advance warning, no problem. Venue go off to speak to bride, and come back " we've binned the first dance ( Shut Up And Dance ), so problem solved.

Buffet time, and band's second set follow, and we lose a few tables. I can now start to attack my eclectic playlist. No cheese, but it's full of Usual Suspects, and some leftfield stuff. Things begin to pick up, and can we have the Greek songs they asked for? Place goes mental, all in a circle round and round doing all the moves. I slip in Shut Up And Dance at this point and we actually have a first dance of sorts, we're in fun territory here.

Now I'm expecting an early finish, venue initially say 11pm. Bride would like midnight, but she's laid back and will take what she gets. I'm angling for lower volume at 11pm ( residential area ) and 11.30pm music off.

Because the guests are well behaved, and spending at the bar venue say bar close at midnight, gits! So be it, no early finish. End of night is marvellous, very happy bride, tired but ecstatic DJ, another one in the win column, but I have no idea why.

Default Define success.

If it's bodies on the dancefloor, then according to last night, it's time to give up.

If it's customer satisfaction, a £20 tip tells its own story.

It's a funny old game.

Last week, I was covering for all and sundry, as the dreaded lurgy hit people. When I told last night's venue I'd been ill, they told me what symptoms I'd had, as it had gone through them like a dose of salts! On Tuesday, I began to decline, and by Thursday I'd hit rock bottom. Still, from there, as the song goes, " The Only Way Is Up ". I turned down the chance of work on Friday, as in all honesty, I couldn't have finished the night, and from the running commentary from young Mr Western, I wouldn't have wanted to start it!

While we're quoting songs, come Saturday, " What A Difference A Day Makes"! I was on the up, and improving hourly. I headed off to cover at a Holiday Inn with just the loveliest staff possible. Always a genuine pleasure to work there, especially when you know about the access hacks. Knowledge is power.

It was a 65th Birthday, with the nicest young female singer I've worked with in years doing a slot. She had a brilliant voice, and lovely stage presence. Once again, the Polars rose to the occasion, accepting her small but perfectly formed Yamaha mixer with ease. Saved her dragging in a full PA, and setting her levels wasn't too hard a task.

My remit was 60s background until she came on, buffet, her set, and after 9-9.30, I was free to do as I saw fit. That turned out to be a period of playing songs for the teens and pre teens, morphing into watching all the guaranteed floorfillers die an agonising death in front of me, and as more guests drifted away, finally becoming Request Fest, allowing me to play Deep Purple- Smoke On The Water ( oh how I wanted to play the 7.37 minute live version from Made In Japan ) Sex Pistols- My Way and Pretty Vacant, some Stone Roses, Ocean Colour Scene-Mechanical Wonder, and other bangers!!

I was conversing with Matthew Hughes a couple of miles away, and while he had turned it up to eleven for Sandstorm, Set You Free and other such gems, I was winding down thankfully with Bohemian Rhapsody, Yellow Submarine, and Hey Jude!

I played a lot of stuff I haven't used in twenty years, had fun and anguish, until I realised I couldn't make them dance, and got a tip. Another one in the Win column, but how I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    If it's bodies on the dancefloor, then according to last night, it's time to give up.

If it's customer satisfaction, a £20 tip tells its own story.

It's a funny old game.

Last week, I was covering for all and sundry, as the dreaded lurgy hit people. When I told last night's venue I'd been ill, they told me what symptoms I'd had, as it had gone through them like a dose of salts! On Tuesday, I began to decline, and by Thursday I'd hit rock bottom. Still, from there, as the song goes, " The Only Way Is Up ". I turned down the chance of work on Friday, as in all honesty, I couldn't have finished the night, and from the running commentary from young Mr Western, I wouldn't have wanted to start it!

While we're quoting songs, come Saturday, " What A Difference A Day Makes"! I was on the up, and improving hourly. I headed off to cover at a Holiday Inn with just the loveliest staff possible. Always a genuine pleasure to work there, especially when you know about the access hacks. Knowledge is power.

It was a 65th Birthday, with the nicest young female singer I've worked with in years doing a slot. She had a brilliant voice, and lovely stage presence. Once again, the Polars rose to the occasion, accepting her small but perfectly formed Yamaha mixer with ease. Saved her dragging in a full PA, and setting her levels wasn't too hard a task.

My remit was 60s background until she came on, buffet, her set, and after 9-9.30, I was free to do as I saw fit. That turned out to be a period of playing songs for the teens and pre teens, morphing into watching all the guaranteed floorfillers die an agonising death in front of me, and as more guests drifted away, finally becoming Request Fest, allowing me to play Deep Purple- Smoke On The Water ( oh how I wanted to play the 7.37 minute live version from Made In Japan ) Sex Pistols- My Way and Pretty Vacant, some Stone Roses, Ocean Colour Scene-Mechanical Wonder, and other bangers!!

I was conversing with Matthew Hughes a couple of miles away, and while he had turned it up to eleven for Sandstorm, Set You Free and other such gems, I was winding down thankfully with Bohemian Rhapsody, Yellow Submarine, and Hey Jude!

I played a lot of stuff I haven't used in twenty years, had fun and anguish, until I realised I couldn't make them dance, and got a tip. Another one in the Win column, but how I don't know.
    All been there, funny how our hopes and expectations can be wildly difference from clients (to both ends of the scale).
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    That turned out to be a period of playing songs for the teens and pre teens, morphing into watching all the guaranteed floorfillers die an agonising death in front of me, and as more guests drifted away,
    Sounds like a carbon copy of my last wedding

For a many years now I have stipulated that I only really do wedding bookings – ok few xmas parties and prom nights for residencies but that is it.

However, the new laid back / go with the flow me seems to be attracting all sorts – with a degree of success.

This year so far has included 3 christenings, a few birthdays and a couple of anniversaries – added together probably more than I have done over the past 6/7 years.

On thing I don’t do though is kids parties or teen parties – nothing against them I am just not the person for them – or so I thought until Thursday evening !

A young lady attended a wedding I was DJ for and was hosting a joint 14th birthday and emigrating party (they are moving to Oz), and asked her mother if she would book me to DJ for her.

Now, my pricing structure stays the same no matter what party but being local and a Thursday night thought would give it a few days and maybe offer a discount, but no need, within 2 hours the booking was done and deposit in the bank.

Onto the night itself, 6pm start until 10.30pm – 10.30pm finish, that is like half a shift haha.

Never was going to be a full on dancey affair, only 28 there, but always a couple at least dancing and the screams when some songs came on. You would think there were 100 people on there.

Now I mentioned my new laid-back approach – well basically they asked for a song, I played it, they asked or another, I played it and it didn’t get much more complicated than that -which to be fair is how most my discos are now which suits me.

At the end had about a dozen or so come over to thank me and even called a legend multiple times – I am assuming this is still a compliment in teenage talk ?

And as an added bonus, mother came up and booked me for the family emigration party in a couple of weeks on a Monday night – bonus all round.

So, am I going to relax my ‘wedding only’ policy further ? – Nah, no chance haha
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk