Page 487 of 487 FirstFirst ... 387437477485486487
Results 4,861 to 4,864 of 4864

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I hope I'm wrong but this one has all the makings of a terrible night and that's if we even get going in the first place.
    Oooooh, you little tease!! Come on, we want all the gory details.

Tell you what, I'll show you mine, if you show us yours, oo er missus!

Saturday last week was a Blue Ball ( no rest from the double entendres, sorry ) at a local golf club. My son quizzes with the organiser, and it seems last years's DJ left something to be desired, let's say.

So, SuperDad to the rescue, and even though it's upstairs, a passably large show went out. Fortunately, there's a service lift handy, so access wasn't the big downside. The building design however was, lamentable. If you imagine a capital W, the dining room is at one extremity, the dance area is at the far one, and bar, raffle and all else is in between. Who designs these places?

So, I'm ridiculously early, which is good, cos so were the guests. All set up, and prepared to wait for a full three course meal to take place. Anyhoo, it ends, and it's time for me to do my thang. I may have pushed the faders up a tad more than usual on the desk, but nothing beyond the pale, as I wanted to attract guests from the far side. Two songs in, the female manager from downstairs comes up with a face like thunder! " Too loud, man " as Stan Freberg would have said.

OK, what management wants, management gets, so we're now running at a low level. Thunderstruck doesn't have quite the same effect played quietly, as when the faders are up at eleven.

Half an hour later, the male manager from upstairs comes across and asks it I've been asked to turn it down? " Oh yuss " says I, and names the guilty party. " Well turn it back up then, I'll go and have a word with her ".

Volume levels increase to something more reasonable, and despite the management's prophesies of doom that everyone will leave shortly after eleven, we're rocking and rolling a full floor all the way till midnight, and a large round of applause.

Job done, and as my son is cadging a lift home, I get a hand out with the kit. Go on Jim, your turn now.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Default If Carlsberg did functions......................................... ..

They wouldn't be any more fun than this one. A function I'd looked forward to eagerly actually exceeded expectations, after an inauspicious start.

The third year of a fundraising Soul and Motown night organised by a couple, who had decided they really needed a disco to keep the flow going while the live band, the excellent Soul Intention, took a break. Wise move.

The instrumentalists from the band, the sound crew and the disco all arrived very early, and jovially set about preparing for the evening. I set up in a leisurely and relaxed manner, and knowing a band was on, had originally decided to take the full subs and tops rig. Plans changed at the last minute, when I took possession of a 15" Studiomaster active sub from Andy Neen, for a different purpose, which will be explained elsewhere. It seemed only sensible to press it into service for this, as a trial of its capabilities.

So, I had the Equinox 4ft Booth, with hadrons on poles, the Stingers on tripods, sub under the booth, and powerbar on a tripod behind me. In all honesty, the powerbar was a bit surplus to requirements, but I took it in case the band needed a bit more light. ( Which they didn't ). As I was fighting against a somewhat unusual combination of QTX subs, and RCF 715 tops, I didn't use the high pass on the sub, to even things up a bit.

The band seemed to arrive in dribs and drabs, and when I came back into the room just before start time, they were having a sound check with the four female vocalists. That's when it got interesting. We had officially passed the start time while the soundcheck was happening, and the sound crew were homing in on a workable setup when oops! No sound, no power, and not many lights. Something had tripped somewhere, and in common with many venues, there seemed to be multiple circuits. The far side of the room had some power, mine had none. The technocrats were on the case, and restored power to me, while they surveyed the damage. Since my PA hadn't actually been running, it was OK, but the monitors on the stage hadn't fared so well. Eventually, one was removed, and I don't know if it was the cause of the problem, or collateral damage.

I started playing a bit of music as fill, until everything was back to near normal. I then raised the volume a little, and started in earnest, to fairly low key reaction, ie foot tapping and jigging about, but no requests, and a handful of dancers. And then, I put on a bit of Doo Wop, gentle Rock and Roll, and got a request for Temptations and Four Tops. The floor was nicely busy at the announcement of the supper ( a lovely lasagne, which the band and I were included in ) and then guests realised that not only did I have a lot of music at my disposal, but musical knowledge and taste as well.

The band's set list was a stunner, including loads I'd have played on a regular basis, fairly mainstream, which let me venture into the requests, which took us deep into Northern Soul for quite a while, to a full floor. A number of disco classics, a bit of Rock and Roll, and between me and the band, the floor never emptied till midnight, when I closed the night. All in all, a truly fabulous evening, and I'm already looking forward to next year!
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Mark 2 Version

Apart from the fact everyone danced and enjoyed themselves the past 2 wedding I have done couldn’t be more different in brides attitudes

Saturdays wedding was over-running big time. 6pm start and I never even got into the room till just before 8pm. Bride came straight over full of apologies and was genuinely concerned she had put me out in some way. She said not to rush setting up and even came over whilst setting up to tell me to take my time as they realise it is their fault the wedding was so late.

Long story short, 15 minutes from van to sound and flashy lights. Brilliant night, bar tab just for me (soft drinks of course) and more food than I could eat brought over at buffet time as people kept dancing throughout. End of the night loads of thanks, which I have to be honest is a rarity especially on the better nights.

Tonight I was only booked from 8.30pm till 11pm. This wedding was running early. 7.45 I was setup ready to go, background music on and during the first song people were up dancing.

Automix pressed and off to offer my congratualtions and double check timings with the bride. Instead of being thanked for starting early I was criticised for playing a few requests so early in the night and told these must be repeated later.

Another great night with everyone joining in, however Mrs Bride was constantly telling me off for playing requests too early. Moved to non-request songs and she was then over asking when the requests would be played. And the cycle repeated itself all night long.

End of the night, groom came over to thank me as did both sets of parents, best man and a few guests – this is becoming a regular occurance.

Bride came over asking why I missed out 2 requests she made. Well, look at the playlist history and there they are, to which the reply was ‘I mustn’t have been in the room, you should have checked I was here when you were playing them’

Oh well, can’t win them all
    North East and Cumbria NADJ Chairman

www.premierweddingdj.co.uk
    www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    ...Bride came over asking why I missed out 2 requests she made. Well, look at the playlist history and there they are, to which the reply was ‘I mustn’t have been in the room, you should have checked I was here when you were playing them’...
    Did the Groom have a thumbprint on the top of his head? If not, he will do soon!

--------------

Anyway, one for the 'Good Gig'... Saturday night was a night I wasn't looking forward to; two staircases, sound limiter, 18st Birthday (explain that bit in a mo'), 8:30 start and an 12:30 finish.

When I arrived the Steward [of the club] says to me, "If you're still playing any music whatsoever at one second past 12:30 I will turn the stage power off. And we go by my watch, not yours". He thought I was taking the p**s when I asked if I could set my watch to his. This looked like it was going to be one of those nights! Nothing could have been further from the truth. The party was for all the older members of the family, his actual 18th was last Wednesday, his "proper" (as he told me) 18th is taking place with his mates and younger members of the family this weekend.

I'd arrived early, lugged everything up the two lots of stairs and was ready to go for 8:30. I didn't start any music until 8:30 on the dot. Unfortunately my childish humour of doing that had gone straight over the Steward's head! Family arrived by 9, waiting for the buffet at 9:15. Up until then I'd been playing some 80's and 90's commercial house stuff as asked for by the birthday boy, as that's what his Dad used to listen to. The buffet would have fed the five thousand, but there was only about 50 people there, so birthday boy's Mum comes over and says, "Grab yourself whatever you want, and tell this lot to go around again". So I did both. While going round the buffet a few people asked for some Motown and Northern Soul, Funk and Disco and some Ska and Reggae.

So at 9:30, with a plate full, I headed back to the raised bit in the corner, (as you couldn't really call it a stage!), and started off with Al Wilson's The Snake. The dance floor was full before the vocals kicked in. From that moment on the dance floor stayed full until 12:29. People would dance, go to the bar, go to the buffet, back to dance and repeat all night. It was one of those nights that I could do no wrong. Songs were 'cheered' as they started, people sang along and they all seemed to be having a great time. I'd called last orders at 12, (with the bar closing at 12:15, on the dot, obviously!), and turned to some reggae, all classic of course, and the singing and dancing continued. UB40 was the last 'proper' song of the night and I said goodnight at that point, playing-out with a request from who I think was Great Grandad in the form of the theme from The Dukes of Hazzard! The singalong carried on for that... including the Steward! I got a round of applause and a cheer from the crowd.

I actually turned the music off at 12:31, ('cuz I'm a bit of a rebel!), at which point I turned things off and started the usual pack down. Several people came over to say thank you, delaying the pack down, but the last person to come over was the Steward who thanked me for the night and said I could have let it go on longer, (you can't please some people!), and that he'd turned the limiter off at about 9ish as it "looked like I could be trusted". He also asked if I wanted some more work... don't think they'll all be like that though.