Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 13 of 564 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113513 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    Hey guys, I should have replied earlier but I have been busy looking after my mum (She had an operation a few days ago). It happened in my parents pub, Id rather not say where it is. Its usually a very safe place here, the last incident here was about 2 years ago. Also apparently i heard wrong, they were looking for a dealer and they thought one of the regulars was one, and when he said he wasn't that's what kicked everything off. They aren't from around here, they were from Newcastle or something.

I'm all ok now, and I'm not going to give it up till I go deaf.

Something good came from it though , my old Mojo spinmasters (That stopped working ages ago, they were just there to keep the t-bar from tipping over) got hit with a stool and smashed the barrels, and the insurance company are going to pay for them
    Well done Daryl. Best of luck. When you said you went upstairs I guessed it was a pub you lived at.
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco

Tonight I had a very good gig.

A 27th birthday party in Bromley, Kent for about 50 people.

It was fancy dress, and without exception everyone had made an effort, resulting in some very good costumes & characters.

They included Amy Winehouse, Wonder Woman, Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, Edward Scissorhands, Mr Incredible, the 118 118 guys, Cruella DeVille and assorted policewomen and nurses.

The 10 requests I had in advance were for chart R&B & clubby stuff, so I kept it pretty similar for most of the night, apart from about 45 minutes of 80's, cheese & party stuff later on.

Definately an 8 out of 10.

I always find that if people have gone to the effort of dressing up in fancy dress then they are already half way to enjoying themselves.
    My gig last night was a wedding which went well. Groom was heavily into clever indie rock stuff and gave me a list of requests which I knew no one would dance to; so I played them early on pre-buffet and indeed no one danced - not even him. Post buffet went for the usual mixture and had the bride and all her family and guests on the floor all night. Groom only turned up for the last dance!

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    It was fancy dress, and without exception everyone had made an effort, resulting in some very good costumes & characters.
    Did you join in?
    assorted policewomen and nurses.

Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Well last night i had taken a last minute job for a mate of mine who owns Prosound Dj, It was for a friend of his at a small social club, Charged them £200 as i knew them. I used 4 dynamos which i controlled on the pc to limit them to the dancefloor and do some funky programming, also 2 DJ Burst lasers and a cheap haze machine, To be honest i wasn't expecting anybody to dance as it looked like one of them nights but then when i was asked to turn the volume up i started with some chart and drifted into the 80's and a few got up and danced, this was around 10:00pm and i finish at 12:00am, I then got asked for some old school tracks so started playing them and the dancefloor was now full to the extent you couldn't move. So i started digging out some old school tracks and also some club classics which took it right to the end of the night and finished on dirty dancing for a big come down to finish.

Loads of people came over and asked for business cards which is a good sign.

Anyway just waitingfor the pictures off my mate Sean who was there as a guest so took loads of pictures for me !

Good gig & bad all rolled into one on saturday night.
    bad bits -
    1) pc decided it didn't want to produce any sound, the organisers brother decided to help and couldn't find any fault but he wouldn't give up must have been 7 times i said " don't worry about it i'll use dvd's for tonight after an hour nearly he let me do just that.

2) Numark dvd 001 havn't been used in ages due to using PC 1 draw decided it wasn't going to open. brute force and ignorance fixed it though.

3) an hour from the end some silly girl dropped her drinky all over the consol and killed half of it - had to stop turn on hall lights and clean up broken glass and mop up best i could.

Best bits - going back to disc rather than PC i found songs i hadn't played in ages that went down really well.
    Amazing how many ideas you get by actually seeing the stuff in front of you.

Really good night all in all but today i have found out that that little accident has left me with the need for a new mixer and a repair to 1 amp which shorted out - strangly the organiser is un-available for contact - looks like i'm footing the bill there then
    Last edited by Richard Veal; 21-04-2008 at 04:25 AM. Reason: spelling errors
    If you can't convince them, confuse them

Ouch. Sorry to hear about what happened.

Not a good feeling when anything goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by penmare42 View Post
    Did you join in?
    Of course I did Tony...I dressed up as a mobile DJ!

Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Veal View Post

3) an hour from the end some silly girl dropped her drinky all over the consol and killed half of it - had to stop turn on hall lights and clean up broken glass and mop up best i could.

Really good night all in all but today i have found out that that little accident has left me with the need for a new mixer and a repair to 1 amp which shorted out - strangly the organiser is un-available for contact - looks like i'm footing the bill there then
    Are you not insured Richard? Put in a claim and let the insurance company pursue the promoter. Also If you were using the SEDA standard disco contract one of the terms and conditions is that the promoter is responsible for conduct of the audience; so pass that on to your insurer too.