Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 344 of 564 FirstFirst ... 244294334342343344345346354394444 ... LastLast
Results 3,431 to 3,440 of 5634

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Bit of a let down for me last night unfortunately and it was one that had a lot of potential. Saying that though, they seemed to enjoy it but it didn't really get going....it was 'one of those gigs'.

It was an engagement party at a large hall just up the road from me. The guy who booked me had booked me for his 21st Birthday which I thought was a few years ago until he informed me in our meeting last week that it was in fact 10 years ago!!!
    He and his fiance had put a lot of time and effort into this party and had spent quite a bit of money on it. I was on a good earner despite giving them half price uplighting and free photo projection.

Lovely couple, very enthusiastic and excited about their evening. They are planning to get married in 18 months time and have already started making plans and have asked me for lots of tips, advice and recommendations. Needless to say they've already booked me too. When I was round their house last week they showed me some gift boxes they'd designed for some of their guests which looked really cool and were a really nice gesture. Also inside the boxes were cards that revealed what that persons role would be on the wedding day. For example : "You are going to be my best man" etc.

Now, although it was a really nice thought, I wondered if it was a good idea or not. Their plan was to do a presentation around 9.30pm and throughout the evening I was making announcements about it. The couple had also made their own (large) buffet and had a guest book that they wanted people to sign so they could remember their engagement party.

A lot of us always say that a decent party is down to the guests. If you have a bunch of guests that are really up for it then you're on to a winner. No matter how many times I said I took requests, nobody approached me. Around half of the 100 invited turned up and they were quite content sitting there scoffing their faces and chatting. A few people got up and danced now and then but it was never consistent. Nobody.....yes, nobody signed the guest book despite me telling them loads of times.
    I was a bit disappointed to hear one guy say "I didn't know anything about a guest book, nobody told me" at the end when I was packing up even though he was one of the nearest to me which told me that he and others just weren't listening. The guests just didn't seem to appreciate the occasion and all of the effort that the couple had put in to the night. I could see the guy getting more frustrated as the night went on because not only did half of the numbers turn up but his apparent 'best mate' didn't even show up!

So, the time came for the presentation and I was asked to call out various names. The couple were stood at a table with all of the gift boxes and as the called out people went up to them they were given their gift box and stayed where they were. I had to encourage the guests to applaud and it was starting to get tiresome if I am honest. I just felt really sorry for the couple who were trying their hardest and deep down I just thought "who needs 'friends' like this lot?"
    The issue arose when one of the girls opened her gift box and then stormed out. She was the last one and it created a scene. I wasn't sure what to say so I carried on with some music (Meghan Trainor - Dear Future Husband). I was told later that this particular girl was upset that she didn't get the 'Maid of Honour' role....blimey!!!

On I continued with hardly any dance floor activity. People were going backwards and forwards out of the hall to obviously see what the commotion was and I stood there picking songs from their request list. I was getting increasingly frustrated with the little who were running around like mad kids. They were sliding all over the place and predictably right near my equipment. One of them nearly hit the projector and stand and when I looked at him and shook my head, he just smiled and carried on.

The guy who booked me came over for a chat and I could see he was really peeved off. People had left a bit earlier too after they'd had some food and for some reason with 20 minutes to go a group of girls got up and started dancing. One came over and requested a song, then another and those 20 minutes flew by for me but unfortunately for them it was all over. Again, predictably they shouted for "one more" but I was under strict instructions to finish dead on time.

Then there was a strange moment..... One girl came over and was really insistent that I play another song. I apologised and said I couldn't because the venue had told me when to finish. The guy who booked me was still stood next to me and just looked at me and shook his head. She looked at him and said "tell him to play one more!" and I think that was it for him!! He went off on one at her and the others who'd come over to try and persuade me...
    "He's been stood here all night playing decent music and you lot leave it until the last bloody minute to get up" - There was a quite a bit more than that actually but I won't repeat it here.

Funny thing is.... I was on a mission to get packed up as quickly as possible as I had a lot to do with the Disco, Uplighting and Projection. I was still loading stuff into the van as people were leaving and a few of them said "Good music mate"....They could have shown their appreciation with a bit of movement, that would have been received a bit better.

Anyway....

Last gig of the week tonight which is a wedding for a lovely couple and fingers crossed their guests have a bit more life in them than last nights lot. Mind you, you wouldn't need much!

From one extreme to the other..... Last night's gig was a wedding at a lovely venue I do a number of times a year and it was for a lovely couple.
    Met them last week and they were so laid back. They were very complimentary and also very appreciative of the fact that I took time to go and see them. It was a wedding that I was looking forward to and it was my last wedding of the year and what a way to finish. It was a great night from start to finish.

On the 25 or so occasions that I have been to the venue before (The Elvetham in Fleet, Hampshire), I've always been set up in the Morning Room which is a small-ish room that is more or less a dedicated Disco room but on this occasion (and for the next 3 bookings I have there), I was set up in the Conservatory. It was a bit bigger and made a change and I preferred it to be honest but if truth be told, no matter how nice the venue is, it does have some set backs when you provide a Disco there because there are so many other places you can go off to. The venue is lovely as are the staff and management who I have gotten to know pretty well so it was nice turning up and getting a nice welcome from them.

I do like playing at this venue but sometimes it can be a bit of a challenge trying to keep everybody in the same place because the bar isn't in the same area (Morning room or Conservatory).

No such problems last night. They were all well up for it.
    I started off with some background music as the Bride & Groom posed for photos with family and guests on the staircase and then cut their cake. I didn't have to do any announcements about that. Then everybody went outside on to the grounds where there were fireworks. I swivelled a speaker so that it was facing outside and played Katy Perry - Firework. Then the guests were given sparklers and more photos were taken before everyone came in to watch the Bride & Groom do their first dance.

After that it was straight into the tunes.... Current chart kicked it off and that was followed by some Rock 'n Roll and then Disco classics. The time just flew by and the dance floor was always busy. When I chatted to the Bride & Groom in our meeting and went over their request list I saw the likes of Five, Spice Girls etc so with around an hour to go I went into that mode and every song was greeted with cheers. I could hear the Bride screaming out "I love this one!".

To be honest I could have played on for longer as the end came around far too quickly. Everyone joined the Bride & Groom on the dance floor for their last song of the night Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now and there were quite a few tears of happiness from the Bride. As soon as the song finished and everyone was applauding she made her way towards me and grabbed me for a hug. She said "That's the best Disco ever and I am so glad it was on my wedding day". That made me feel really good.

This is a bit of a short review from me (for once and I bet you're glad about that!) but I'm not sure what else to say. It was just a really good night and one of those nights that we all hope for. The guests were spot on and everyone was in the mood to celebrate.

A couple of days off now and then it's more Christmas Parties. If I get the same vibe at those that I did last night then I'll be more than happy.

Saturday? Game of two halves.
    Rushed into Hull early to set up for the four hour kids party. Last week we expected to be the main event, rigged up accordingly, and were mere backing. Yup, you guessed it. This week, me on my own, and apart from the buffet and the Lad In The Red Suit, I'm the main event. Whoopee.

As said before, Friday night's rig was left untouched for the Saturday evening, and I took a separate one into the concert hall for the kids. Got set up for twelve, and kicked off to a slow start. Did some Statues, pass the parcel and the like, the buffet was very well received ( devoured totally ) and then it was time for Santa's arrival. He sat in front of the stage, and handed out presents to all the kids. By the time that finished, it was just about time to pack up, and put it all in the van, phew!! Round the corner for Fish and Chips (fabulous, yum ) and relax before the adult one. Another 50th birthday, and although all three were for the same birthday, all three wanted different music. This one was probably the best of the lot, and I actually had dancers at this. Packed up, absolutely shattered, and went home to bed.

Next one is a regimental do with a band. Should be interesting.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Not good, not bad, just weird.

Another murder misery night at my residency. Disco started at almost 10:30pm. Kicked off with Uptown Funk. Full floor, for all of 2 minutes. Ah ok then. Young hearts run free was next. A better response by far. Next up, Blame It On The Boogie. They all sat down again. Damn!

Rinse & repeat. Requests for Basket Case & Mr Brightside came in & got a moderate response. Christmas tunes I thought were best left til later. Tune of the night was probably 9 to 5. Whitney wanting to dance with somebody decimated the dancers. Back to Indie ISH then. Chelsea dagger, sex on fire etc went down well. Penultimate tunes were Don't Stop Me Now, which went well. But Mariah Carey wiped them all out again. What the hell?

Ended the night on Reach by Sclub7 to a packed out floor. Damn weirdos. I just couldn't get a handle on them.

Tuesday was the " regimental dinner". Ho hum. Last one I did was full dress uniform. This one was naff Christmas jumpers. Thanks a lot for telling me lads. Memo to self: Put naff jumper and hat in van from now on, just in case.

Was for a hundred and fifty folk, so took the subs, and at first glance that was a brilliant idea, especially as I knew there was a band on, so didn't want to be seen as a poor relation. It was being held in the gymnasium, a vast place fully draped. It was a fair old trek, so four trips with the trolley needed. I got set up, and ran the sound up. Good news, bad news.
    Good news, it was well loud enough, and I felt confident of not being overshadowed by the band.
    Bad news, the sound was awful. Even with the drapes, the sound was just bouncing around, it sounded as if I had full reverb on the mic channels!! With hindsight, I'd have been far better losing the subs, and sticking another pair of cabs further down the hall, as fill. I could have run everything quieter and sounded far better.

So, the band eventually arrive. With a seven and a half ton truck full of kit!! A big touring grade HK PA, wireless lighting, top of the range Sennheiser cordless mics, etc, etc. So much for not looking the poor relation, eh? They got set up quickly and efficiently, and then meandered through a sort of a sound check. They were to do two 45 minute sets, first one early on, excellent. So, they fired up all this expensive kit, and I went out front for a listen. It sounded worse than mine, and the vocalists were mixed very far down indeed. I was not impressed. Apparently, neither were the audience. The word for the evening was apathy.

The band had long long periods of silence between songs, at best they had half a dozen dancers, just like I did. Never mind, I thought, after the food, things may liven up. I came back on, five minutes later announced the food, and hoped it wouldn't have all gone by the time the band came back on. I needn't have worried there, one of the organisers, a lovely girl brought me drinks and food as much as I wanted, and it was superb. The band had a table just in front of me, and didn't look terribly fussed about anything. Eventually, they returned to the stage for their second set, and my friend the organiser returned. " We'll do the raffle in fifteen minutes". You'd better have a word with the band then, cos they'll be on for forty five when this song finishes.

Off she trots to see them, and they leave the stage and go back to their table!! I do the raffle, and the band return again. I then have a cash three prize raffle to do as well, so the band are now straining at the leash. I must mention the prizes. First prize in the raffle was a 46" colour tv, and the cash raffle had prizes of £95, £240, and £350. Impressive, eh?

So the band are ready to come back on, I give them the big introduction, whipping the crowd up into a frenzy.
    Sorry, did I just say frenzy? I meant apathy. Same six dancers again. Same long silences. They didn't angle for an encore, I didn't try to get them one, and off I went for the last hour. Surprisingly, the mood had now lightened to one of

you guessed it

apathy.
    I had two requests all night, on for Mariah, and one for Eminem from the organiser. Midnight crawled round, the band got packed up and out in minutes, mine took nearly an hour An enormous amount of effort was expended by many folk on that gig, and it was wasted on them. In my humble opinion. Organiser thought I'd been brilliant, and promised to use me again. Hmmm. We'll see.

Two gigs in the last few days ( of sorts )

Barn Dance Disco Wedding last Sunday with the request list i love to play--Sixties, Seventies, 80s nothing up to date other than Ed thingy ( highly overrated in my opinion) and get it on like Marvin Gaye.

Went really well, towards the end some superb slowies including a request for Whitney and One Moment in time (love it ) then disaster struck.

Halfway through the Whitney tune, people dancing nicely, the drunk Brides daughter wanted to karaoke to the tune.

Erm this is going to ruin the end of a truly professionally run event and drag it down to a pub karaoke level.

Not on my watch.

Having snatched my spare mike she proceeded to sing--except nothing==easily dealt with by the volume control

i snatched back the mike and advised that this was only going to ruin a great song and singer---so see ya.

Grand finale with Dont Stop me now and the requested Hi Ho Silver Lining by the Black Lace Boys. Well received

Monday was doing a sort of Lighting Gig for my sons job for ITV Come Dine With Me Celebrity Xmas Party (to supplement the lighting in the open at night) Rodeo Reindeer supplied by my son.

Used the two KAM Powerbars recently acquired from JEM and these did a fine job. Thankfully no rain.

Unfortunately as I had long suspected the Camera Crew finally turned up to announce they were using their own lighting and it was quite interesting to see how they generate soft light to avoid shadows, no not them!

I packed the lights away with the proviso that if they come out the van again you will be invoiced for time

Theres certainly a lot of waiting time involved with that type of work.

Ah well feet up till Xmas and on to Website design.

Last night was a christmas party for me at the hotel.
    Thursday night parties are sold as 'Rewind' nights (70's & 80's) and they are really enjoyable, my cup of tea definitely.
    There was just over 50 guests but the majority were in fancy dress which was cool. I spotted what I thought was Magnum PI sat a table and so I chucked the theme tune as the first song (which may sound totally random I know) and low and behold...the guy jumped out of his seat and started throwing shapes on the dance floor much to everyone's enjoyment.

Loads of requests throughout the night including Robert Palmer's Addicted To Love where 4 girls all dressed in black with inflatable guitars all got up and did the moves.
    Not much else to say really apart from that it was a busy dance floor as soon as the meal finished. It was nice to play a set that didn't include the usual suspects.

One thing that made me laugh....well, 2 actually.
    Firstly, at one point in the evening some random guy sauntered into the party. He was a resident apparently and was quite 'merry' shall we say. I clocked him straight away as he went on to the dance floor. He didn't look like he was causing a problem so I let him get on with it but then he started dancing closer to the ladies and every now and then he'd say something and they'd move away from him. One girl who I have known for a while was dancing in front of me. Let's just say she is quite a looker with a body Jessica Rabbit would be proud of and once he'd noticed her he was straight over there. She looked at me and mouthed the words "WTF?"

I nipped over to the bar and asked the girl behind there if she knew who he was.....she didn't. I could see the girl on reception was busy so I went back to the decks.
    She laughed as he walked off and then came over and told me that she'd told him I was her husband! He made a quick exit.

The other funny moment was when a very elderly irish lady came over to me around an hour before the end. She asked for Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On.
    There was no way it was going to work with what I was playing but I wanted to get it on for her (excuse the pun!). It ended up being the very last song of the night as the lights went up but everybody danced to it.

Even though it was a small gathering I got a round of applause and lots of thank you's which was good.

Tonight is going to be a strange one and the review tomorrow should be entertaining. It's a big party for the NHS and they are doing a Star Wars nativity play after the meal.

Mixing it with the stars. Tonight, Michael Buble, tomorrow, Robbie Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    Wow!! My wife says could you get their autographs please?

Christmas party tonight in a rugby club, hour and a half drive each way, already feel like death warmed up, due to the dreaded lurgy. Merry Christmas, ho, ho,ho.

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    ooo goody. Send them both a punch in the face from me please.

Second christmas party proper tonight, and the second with a new DJ in tow in the other room on my other rig. Wish me luck!