Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 359 of 564 FirstFirst ... 259309349357358359360361369409459 ... LastLast
Results 3,581 to 3,590 of 5636

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    . Requests ranged from the unsuitable to the unplayable. Jethro Tull would not have gone down too well, I fear.
    Eh? I've played Songs From The Wood before. ( and a lot of others forty plus years ago. )

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    Last night I had a bit of a different one....
    It was a wedding for an older couple plus a golden wedding anniversary for the groom's parents. I had visions beforehand of it being hard work. I was told during last week's meeting with the customer that it was a "more mature crowd" and not to expect too much interaction from them....
    Just a gentle reminder Gary. One of the forum mods is a curmudgeonly old git who doesn't take kindly to disparaging remarks about the elderly.

It was more of a 'classics' night with not much newer or chart stuff being aired.
    Exactly how it should be. My but there really is some in the charts at the moment. I worked with Twinspin a couple of nights this week, and even he was having trouble finding modern stuff to fit in with the area manager's requests ( orders? )

OK, my weekend. Friday was a mixed bag. Last minute 50th birthday NaD booking because the venue hadn't booked a disco, or informed them either!! By chance the client rang to check details, or it would have been a ghetto blaster in the corner. It's a venue I'd worked at Christmas, so I knew what to take. There are roadworks in my area just before the motorway access, and I'd left an hour in hand to take account of this. Bad move. I ended up turning round, going five miles in the wrong direction to get on the motorway further back, and arrived five minutes before my latest acceptable arrival time ( one hour before gig )
    Got the kit in, spoke to the client and family, got nicely set up and then......................

Well we've had them, haven't we? The seats have been superglued, and the bar has the gravitational pull of a black hole. Clients were happy enough, and so was I when I'd got the kit in the van.

Saturday was a Legslappers, near Boston. Normal route is virtually a hundred miles each way, but by going cross country I can cut twenty five miles off each way. Ride down was pleasant, got in to set up in good time, and the evening started.
    This one's the stuff of legend, and as usual it went off like a greyhound. By the time I got them around 10.15, we were going for it in a big way, but sadly, the early exertions took their toll. They always pay for the extra hour here, but if I'm absolutely honest, that was half an hour too much. I had ten or twelve left out of seventy at the close, and got loaded up quickly.

Recently, I've been using the Sleaford Travelodge, as it's located perfectly, but they've doubled their prices, so coupled with the shorter scenic route, and the fact that Sunday will be busy at home, I headed home at 1.30am. Sat Nav said I'd be home at 3.30, and if I'd stayed awake, I could have made that easy. I couldn't do it. I pulled into a layby before the Humber Bridge, and snoozed for a good half hour, arriving home after 4am!!

The Rock and Roll lifestyle, eh?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Can you guess the song that was playing?
    Easy , summer of 69 in sign language.....
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Eh? I've played Songs From The Wood before. ( and a lot of others forty plus years ago. )
    Considering what actually went down well during the night, it was just as well I didn't go there. Remit from the booker was "oh it's just a normal 40th birthday". I thought "ok, so I'll just select my 'normal 40th birthday' playlist then"

Good on yer for spotting you were tired & pulling over Peter. I fell asleep at the wheel once - wrote my car off good & proper - and cut off a village from its electrickery supply for a full day.

Chart music-wise.. this time of year the charts are normally full of dirgey crap & this year is no exception. The current number one is making me stay away from music radio incase it comes on. Of all the customers I've ever had who've insisted on 'chart' being played - I've never been absolutely sure they know what's in the current chart, or indeed which chart they mean (the real one, or one of the many made up ones?). I say next time I'm gonna give them a quiz about the top ten before complying

I could stand a few more like that. Sportsman's evening in Willerby Manor, lighting in house, some sound, set up early, and wait for meal, speeches, guest speaker, and comedian to do their stuff before playing for a lengthy two hour set!

Quote Originally Posted by gger4 View Post
    I could stand a few more like that. Sportsman's evening in Willerby Manor, lighting in house, some sound, set up early, and wait for meal, speeches, guest speaker, and comedian to do their stuff before playing for a lengthy two hour set!
    I've done them myself Joe, and I agree. London to Hull seems a fair old distance to travel though?

By the way, it's good to have you here, and if you would like to nip across to the Newbies section and say hello, we'd all appreciate that. Thanks.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Exactly how it should be. My but there really is some in the charts at the moment.
    Chart music-wise.. this time of year the charts are normally full of dirgey crap & this year is no exception. The current number one is making me stay away from music radio incase it comes on.
    I actually quite like what's in the charts right now.

I've done them myself Joe, and I agree. London to Hull seems a fair old distance to travel though?

By the way, it's good to have you here, and if you would like to nip across to the Newbies section and say hello, we'd all appreciate that. Thanks.

Yes..and hello to everyone

Peter, I'd just like to remind you (and also to place the blame directly on the customers shoulders for the comments), that it was the customer that told me about the....er....ahem....'older' crowd. I'd also like to say that I do class myself as being a member of the 'older' or 'more mature' crowd seeing as I was another year older just a week ago (didn't get any cake from you lot though....how rude!)

As I have said on a number of occasions, the best part of this job is the variety....isn't it?
    That night was more or less 'classics' or 'classic party' stuff all night.
    This coming Friday I am doing an 80's night for a 50th birthday and the music requested so far has a bit more 'ooomph' to it rather than the usual 80's fodder.
    Saturday and it's a totally different ball game.
    I am at the same venue but for an engagement party and for the first time in a long time I have had to seek out some of the 'music' (ahem!) that I didn't have.

I mean....Fetty Wap? Come on.... and there's loads more like that too! Not my type of stuff totally but it's not about what I / We like is it.

As for the charts..... Well, no comment really apart from saying that I never EVER thought I'd see the day when someone like Justin Beiber would have 5 or 6 tracks in the Top 40 at the same time. That kind of says it all really and sums up what the state of music is like these days...to me anyway.

As for the charts..... Well, no comment really apart from saying that I never EVER thought I'd see the day when someone like Justin Beiber would have 5 or 6 tracks in the Top 40 at the same time. That kind of says it all really and sums up what the state of music is like these days...to me anyway.
    My 4 year old grandson was humming along to some awful tune on his ipod at the weekend--I did say whats that horrible noise--oh he loves it said his Mum its Justin Beiber.

Oh well--everyone to their own

With all due respect, modern music is just as good as it's inspiration. I'm not a fan of fetty wap or Justin Bieber but I can see the reasons why others enjoy their offerings.

It's the ability to understand the tastes of others that allows us to be good at our jobs. Sometimes we need to take a look on the mirror (myself included)... I got a bit wound up the other week because guests kept asking for music I was not familiar with / really don't like (grime and garage), I shrugged it off ignored it and then again this weekend a few more requests of a similar nature... Yesterday I started learning about it ready for the next time and oddly enough I found some tracks I really enjoy now.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD