Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 367 of 564 FirstFirst ... 267317357365366367368369377417467 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,670 of 5637

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Being a radio mic, it doesn't fit into the same size holder as a cabled mic. I haven't yet got into the mindset that an artist using my radio mic might want a stand. It's usually just hand it to them, and off they go. Guilty on that one.
    All our radio mics came with an appropriate sized holder to fit to the stand. Mic stands always go out when anyone else is going to be using a mic.

So he came with a perfectly good mic, but wanted something better?
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    All our radio mics came with an appropriate sized holder to fit to the stand.
    The more expensive ones of mine did, but basically never were needed. Until now, perhaps.

Mic stands always go out when anyone else is going to be using a mic.
    A policy which I shall consider carefully henceforth.

So he came with a perfectly good mic, but wanted something better?
    There's no way I can claim that a Chord radio mic comes close to a Shure, Steve.

Rob, Alan, and Steve, you're all pretty much on the mark. The hallmark of this event was very poor organisation, inexperienced organisers, compounded by severe inefficiency on the part of the next level of management.

I was booked for a straight disco, alongside a band. Then, could I provide a mic for the organiser, and could I light her sympathetically? Then could I provide a mic for the comedian? Lighting? Venue lights are on full, and she's in front of the biggest projector screen I've seen outside a cinema. So much for sympathetic lighting then. She had planned to use one of the two lapel mics, but that came a cropper when she realised that an off the shoulder floaty dress has no lapels, and nowhere for the belt pack to attach. Ah well.

The comedian turns up with a keyboard which wasn't in the script, and to be fair, the lad was a gent, no worries there. The heads and tails game was an absolute joke, I've never seen one run so badly. Normally there's a confident MC running it and marshalling the guests. This one was left to each table to do the coin toss themselves, and send up the winner from each table to the front for the " final ". Twelve tables produced seven finalists. Pretty much sums up the evening.

Life's too short to cause ructions, but let us hope that it has been a learning experience for all involved, self included.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I wonder why I bother.
    And some people say that weddings are the most involved to manage.

If I get asked to do a "charity" function (their charity, not mine, so pay up folks), I try to take charge as most are organised by people who haven't got a clue.

I'd rather get stuck in and sort out running orders, their's never work anyway, singers, bands and the like. At least if I do it, I know it will be done right.

Call it my charitable donation. The last one I did, for Firefly Cancer Patient Transport had a two page spread in the local paper the following week. All the participants were mentioned, town crier, venue, singers, fashion show models, Tom Cobbley's nephew. I got bugger all, not even a generic "thanks to the disco/DJ".

You're right Peter, "I wonder why I bother".

Well, last night I was at a local-ish venue (hotel) for a lovely couples wedding. I've known them for quite a while and they met at one of my Alternative nights around 2 years ago. Also in attendance were 4 others couples (friends of theirs and also who I know too) whose weddings I'd either done myself or have coming up next year.
    I also knew around 90% of the guests which made me feel really relaxed and I knew (I'd have put money on it beforehand) that it would be a great night........and it was!

BUT....it didn't start off too well. That could possibly be an understatement actually.
    Now, I'd been to this venue a number of times in the past. It is a large hotel and a fair bit pricier than the others in the area. On the occasions that I'd been there the main staff (Manager, Duty Manager etc) have been the same faces but the turnaround in other staff is mad. I don't think I have ever seen the same face whenever I've visited the venue. Most of the staff on this recent visit were (at a guess?) Polish and I have to say that MOST of them were very polite and helpful.......AT FIRST!!

I'd arranged well in advance to go and install the Uplighting on Thursday evening after 6.00pm. I phoned again on Thursday afternoon to check and was told there were no problems at all and it was fine. When I turned up on Thursday evening around 6.15pm I made my way to the room and was stopped by a large polish guy who was on reception. He asked me what I was doing so I told him. I'd actually gone to reception to let them know what I was up to but could see him talking to someone and he'd not even acknowledged that I was there waiting so I just went for it. Typical that he turned around and saw me so this didn't start things off too well. Eventually he let me into the room and let me get on with what I was there for.

So, I wasn't able to set up the Disco until after the Wedding Breakfast and speeches yesterday. I was told to arrive around 6.30pm for a 7.30pm start. I got there at 6.20pm to give myself some extra time in case I needed it. Well, things were running about 20 minutes behind which wasn't too much of a problem. Everyone was pretty relaxed about the whole thing and as I waited outside the room with some of the other staff and chatted with them, the guy from the day before turned up and waited with us. He was ok until the Bride & Groom and guests left the room at just gone 7.00pm and we all went in to go about the jobs we needed to do.

Seriously, I have never EVER met a joker like this idiot before....honestly, he was seriously out of order. I don't know what his role was (at a guess I'd say he was the John Cleese character that did a bit of everything but he didn't have any kind of managerial role that's for sure). The Duty Manager / Guy in charge was in the room with us and so were 3 other Polish staff who were clearing tables etc. I was parked directly outside the area where I needed to set up so access was stupidly easy. Anyway, Mr Grumpy (let's call him that), was busy clearing tables when I opened the door to get to my van. There was a bit of a breeze in the air and one of their portable upright drape systems (or whatever you want to call it) toppled over because of the breeze. I was outside when it did it actually. I didn't know if it was my fault or what but in front of everybody Mr Grumpy came charging towards me, finger pointing at me and shouting this, that and the other. I was instantly offended and calmly told him to calm down. Everyone else was fine with it, including the guy in charge but Mr Grumpy was full on, big time going mad at me.

He said something in Polish to the other staff, pointed at me and then shouted again and it was obvious he was moaning about me. He got up in my face again and it was then that I'd had enough. I told him to stop speaking to me like that and to calm down as it could all be sorted quickly enough. He carried on and I could see his face red and flustered. I am no exaggerating here ok. The Duty manager then butted in and told him to calm down too and he still moaned, still pointed at me and still turned around and shouted in his own language at the others. I told the Duty manager to tell him to stop shouting at me as it wasn't doing him any favours at all. I was very close to losing the plot with him and decided to get away for 2 minutes and get some fresh air. When I came back into the room 3 out of the 5 or 6 staff that were supposed to be clearing the room were all trying to get this drape system up in the air again and they were having problems. It was like some kind of comedy sketch seriously.

As I said, I've never known anything like it and it was then that I had to say something and more or less take charge. I hadn't got any equipment into the room as yet and it was approaching 7.15pm. I asked them if the drape system was really that important? Nobody answered me, they just continued with what they were doing.
    I then asked if I could start getting my equipment into the room and again, no answer so I thought "Sod it" and just started doing it.
    I'd just got my equipment into the area I needed to be set up in and they'd just sorted the drapes out when I noticed Mr Grumpy had now cleared the top table and moved it on to the back wall to make it the buffet table (which isn't out of the norm' as that's usually what happens isn't it). The problem was though, I had 4 of the long Equinox Baterns uplighting the wall behind and now they were under the table and there was no effect at all. I went over and asked him if I could get underneath to make them more visible. He didn't answer me so I ended up just doing it anyway. When I'd done it he shouted at me again and luckily (for him) the Duty manager was nearby.
    I explained to him that my customers had paid for the Uplighting and not only that, they were my friends too and I wanted the lighting to have the best effect possible and Mr Grumpy (I actually (apologies) said "That joker" because I'd seriously had enough by now). The Duty manager laughed and I joined him because it was just a joke really. This Mr Grumpy guy obviously had the hump with me for whatever reason and he wasn't letting me get off easily that's for sure.

In the end the Disco and Uplighting were sorted and we were ready to let the guests back into the room. It was probably 7.50pm by this time. I apologised to the Duty manager and he totally understood. He defended his member of staff (Mr Grumpy), well....he didn't say anything about him, put it that way but he was absolutely fine with me. He said "Weddings are stressful for everyone aren't they. It's not a problem". I told him... "I've done hundreds of weddings and they're only stressful if nobody works together. We're all a team and he (Mr Grumpy) wasn't helping at all. He shouldn't of spoken to me or shouted at me like he did".

It's a shame that the majority of this review has been taken up by this unfortunate issue but I like to be as honest as possible because it isn't always rosy is it.
    It all got sorted in the end and it was a really good night. It was 80% Rock and Alternative and 20% Chart and 80's and there was dancing from the first song until the last. There was never an empty dance floor. First dance was Gabrielle Aplin - The Power of Love and that was followed by Neil Young - Harvest Moon and then The Wannadies - You and Me song. Last song of the night was (believe it or not) Tenacious D - her gently.

Right at the end as I was packing up the Duty Manager came over and said "That was a good night" and he actually apologised to me for what had happened earlier.
    The funny thing too was that Mr Grumpy (probably reluctantly because he'd been told to) also came over and shook my hand (squeezed it very hard actually) and apologised too.

I'm back at that venue again in a few months time and I'd put bets on Mr Grumpy possibly being employed elsewhere or having a different role in the venue because he's not exactly customer friendly.

On to today now and I have a strange one - A Surprise 50th birthday with an 80's theme from 2.00pm - 6.00pm and I am supplying an 80's Quiz and Projection too.
    I'll be home by 7.00pm and I think a visit to the local might be on the cards!
    Phew!!
    Last edited by Excalibur; 01-05-2016 at 07:27 AM. Reason: fixed censor avoidance

Well. That was a bunch of firsts. First gig delivered by van. Oh what a nice change. First gig with my new Rock & Roller R10. 2 loads & I was in. To get in with less loads I need to do away with my lighting bags & go with cases I think. The last first? Ah my new subwoofer. New as in purloined at a bargain price from a forum member who was having a clear out. A quick temporary paint job later (chalkboard paint on 4 sides) & it's pretty presentable. It's a DB Stage Opera 41.15. 15", 400WRMS, fairly compact & light (ha).. and NOT bandpass. A real pity they don't make them any more. JUST squeezes through the side door of my van.

Loaded in no trouble, hooked up the PA first & set some music going. OMG. I'd experimented with the sub in my garden last week & found that it sounded pretty good just linked in with the tops, so that's what I tried first tonight. Tried using its crossover & it seemed quite weak. Oh, but in parallel with the tops... WOOF. Okay it's not gonna shake the optics off the bar top but it's a massive improvement on the low end I had before. As luck would have it, it's a very good match for the Alto TS115 of mine & to my ears sounded more pleasant than the RCF rig I got to use a while ago (705AS sub with 12" RCF tops.. very very boomy & unmusical sounding but maybe not set up properly for non-band PA).

So to the gig... first dance was Walk The Moon (!!!!) Shut up & dance With me. Woohoo.. I invited the guests to join the B&G which they did.. and we had a rammed floor all the way through buffet time until about 11pm. I'd had a request for Barry White - Can't Get Enough Of Your love which I managed to work in - the crowd had been drinking since 11am pretty much so were knackered to say the least by that point. By 11.30 there were very few people left indeed - even the bride said she'd had enough (or words to that effect). Hey ho.. she'd had a great time so who cares.. A shame, cos I like giving them a good sendoff but sometimes you just never know when a night's going to peak & crash.

Next weekend I have a standin working on my behalf who's apparently been there before for a former resident.. and I'm off to do a surprise 30th at a local social club instead with dance & RnB. Should be fun.

Default Refreshingly different

A first for me tonight as well (well, not a first as such....but it's been a long time since I last did it).

Tonight was a wedding in a little country hotel about 40 miles from me. Nice venue, nice staff, friendly TOG....and all running horribly late.
    Anyhoo.....I'd had a bad gut feeling about this one. The client (from NaD) only ever communicated in emails consisting of 10 or less words (I kid you not)...and that's the way she wanted it to be. On speaking to the photographer - he was the same except it was by SMS).

When this one was first booked I spoke to the venue to clear up a couple of things, and even THEY were having problems in communicating. OK - this could be one of "those" I thought. The bride and groom by the way are both in their mid 60s. OK - so it could be that they're having problems with modern technology. Giving them the benefit of the doubt I offered phone calls, meeting in person....nope...we'll continue with emails. Okey Dokey!

The brief (I had an email last week which contained around 50 words all sort of strung together) was for Rock 'n' Roll, 60s, 70s and Motown. GAME ON!

Arrived at the venue around 30 mins earlier than I needed to be there and had a look around. The wedding breakfast was still going on in the main function room as I expected. The plan was for everyone to be out at 6pm for a room turnaround and start at 7pm. 6:30 and they're still on the mints and coffee....this is going to be one of those late running jobbies then.

Eventually, 6:45pm and I'm let into the room......to be shown what can only be described as a postage stamp dancefloor and a tiny setup area in the corner. It was however, one of the easiest get-in's in the world (literally park the van outside, through the double door and dump the kit). 7:30pm and it's time to cut the cake and do the first dance...

Now - here's my chance to earn some Brownie points. I'd already spoken to son of bride and he happened to mention that she was more than a little peeved that the CD they had for their ceremony music didn't work on the registrar's CD player for whatever reason. "Oh?" says I, "what songs where they then?". List of three songs in hand and a connection onto the hotel's WiFi....and they're ready to play after the first dance....brilliant.

From there, Rock 'n' Roll etc. as requested. Some of it worked, a lot of it didn't.....hmmmm...what to do? I don't like an empty dance floor at a wedding...it's just not healthy.

I know....CHEEEEESE!!!!!

Yup, I rolled out the foul smelling Stinking Bishop by the bucket load and boom....full floor.

I also had one of the poor bar girls behind the booth very apologetic asking me to turn it down. Eh? I'm only running at around 90db (it's a small room). Apparently the owner's kids sleep in the room right above where they make the disco set up???!!!! Bad planning that

The bride's son (my main contact) heard the conversation and wasn't overly happy, but I agreed to take it down a couple of notches and reduce the bass, and everyone seemed happy with that.

Slowed things down a little with a couple of requests the bride had told me she wanted (I don't think I've EVER played a Jimmy Young track before !), then back to Motown and 60's. By now, whatever the bar was serving had started kicking in and I could do no wrong....phew!

Finally midnight rolls around. Requests for "one more" where shunned (sorry....house rules and all that), and it's time to start taking everything to bits again. Groom is well and truly over the moon and spent around 20 minutes talking at the end, shaking hands and promising that I'll see them again. I love nights like that

Next week, something different again. I'm in my local social club with my Retro rig on a 40th birthday...strictly 80s, 90s and plenty of incandescent light bulbs await

Ok guys, count me in as a member of the "First for me" crew too....
    What a strange day it was for me. I had an afternoon gig which was from 2.00pm - 6.00pm in a small venue on a private estate (it's massive).
    I was booked a while back to provide Projection, Quiz and Disco for a small gathering for a ladies 50th Birthday. I didn't realise just how small that gathering was until I returned to the venue around 1.45pm after they'd eaten. I head counted 28 people in attendance from behind the decks, all of whom were sat down throughout the afternoon and 50% of them were elderly.

The theme was the 80's and that's what I stuck to. Some of the younger guests were in fancy dress but they totalled 6 in numbers. It was almost as if the other guests didn't get the memo so the ones that had made a little effort looked out of place. When I got there I played a few songs and then continued with the Quiz that the ladies husband (dressed as Adam Ant) had started. He'd said beforehand that he'd write down some questions for them and call it a 'Table Quiz' and asked if I could possibly add something so I created a huge retro style 'Bits 'n Pieces' type audio round with 50 number 1's from the 80's. It actually went down really well. Beforehand he'd said to me "Please don't make it too hard for them" so I didn't. It was possibly one of the easiest things I've ever created.
    With 100 points available (1 point for song, 1 point for artist), I expected some decent results as they were VERY easy....but blimey, the highest score was 46/100.

I continued with the music and asked for requests but nobody bothered apart from one guy who came up and asked if I had Department S - Is Vic There? (great tune!). I had it, I played it for him and he was over the moon and even said "Best 80's DJ I have seen"....slightly OTT but comments appreciated. He did elaborate a bit later and said that it wasn't the usual Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson type 80's. Well, that was because beforehand the guy who'd booked me had told me his wife loved Depeche Mode, Human League etc.... the cool side of the 80's as far as I am concerned.

Now, each to their own and all that and as far as religious beliefs go.....well, I don't have any. I won't go into the whole thing and get into some kind of debate but I am an atheist at the end of the day.... The reason I mention this is because I'd been there around an hour, played some tunes, done the quiz etc and then the ladies husband came over and asked... "Are we ok to do the speeches and other bits now?"..... I was a tad confused at first but all became clear soon enough. I handed him my microphone and you could hear a pin....well, a feather drop!
    It soon became clear that everyone in attendance was a member of some kind of church group. I stood there as Adam Ant did some kind of sermon to everyone and they all had their heads down and prayed. After that he went on to talk about his wife and the slide show he'd created for her started to play via the projector.

He then asked one of his son's to take the floor and what followed was a (well written and presented actually) speech that lasted 15 minutes. The whole religious thing was far too much for me but I stood and listened. Then another elderly gentleman popped up and spoke (preached?) for 10 minutes before finally Adam Ant continued and took the sermon to just over 30 minutes. It turned out that his wife was very well thought of and had set up a shelter for the homeless a few years back that had become very popular. What was slightly cringeworthy was that right at the end of the sermon / presentation, Adam Ant played a video of a song he'd written for her. Everyone watched in silence and at the end of it............there was silence again. No applause. I wanted to clap and was just about to but noticed that nobody else was!

Seriously, it was a strange atmosphere. Shortly after that the numbers halved as some of the elderly guests left. I was booked until 6.00pm and I said to myself "I bet my (new) house on this not lasting until 5.00pm" - I was correct. I continued with the tunes, played a few more requests for the only guy that was requesting songs and then gave the answers to the Quiz and announced the winners. It was just around 4.30pm when Adam Ant came over and said that everyone had enjoyed the day and asked if I could finish up in 10 minutes time. The birthday girl eventually said "Hello" as I was packing up the last bits of equipment and then I was in the van and on my way home having earned a decent wage. I was back indoors by 5.30pm.

So, a first for me in that it was the strangest booking I think I have ever had!
    A couple of meetings today and on Thursday and then back on it Saturday with a couple of bookings that I know will be a lot more entertaining.
    You should have been a fly on the wall at this one yesterday!
    Last edited by Shakermaker Promotions; 01-05-2016 at 02:36 AM.

First wedding of the season in "preferred supplier" marquee venue.

Realised it was the first time I have used the subs since my last wedding there in Oct last year, they close Nov to April.

50-60 mins drive including a nice party of the New Forest. Was worried what access would be like as you have to drive across the outfield of the village cricket pitch and park under some trees, with a 10/15m walk through a wooded area to the marque. Thought it might be rather sodden but it was soft but ok.

Unloaded on the path around the outside and waited for the speeches to finish and got all the equipment in and started setting up with 75 mins to go. Realised I had left the starcloth at home. Oh merciful heavens upon my sole!

Phone home and the Mrs eldest is watching the football. Instruct him as to where it is in the garage, give him the post code and bribe him to bring it to me. Says he needs to get petrol and will then set off. This is with 50 mins to go. Complete setting up with 20 mins to go and start playing background music with a "naked" booth.

15 mins after start time starcloth arrives but evening guests haven't all arrived yet so so worry. B&G didn't even notice as they thought I was due to start at 7.30 not 7 so thanked me for starting early, phew!

Good night lots and lots of indie including Pulp, the Strokes, Killers, KoL, Arctic Monkeys, Blur, Franz Ferdinand, Oasis and Fratellis among others.

Once the sun went down boy was it cold in an unheated marque in the middle of the forest! Can honestly say I think it is the only time when I have DJ'd when I can see my breath and and not feel my fingers!

Finish to round of applause and requests for one more which is a strict no no at this venue. One of the reasons they gave me preferred supplier status was for how I managed the endings and never go over time, which is monitored by over zealous neighbors the other side of the cricket pitch!

Took a nice tip from the groom which nearly covered the bribe to the courier!

Packed up, loaded the car and as I pulled away the thermometer read 1.5 degrees!

Oh dear. This one promised so much, and delivered so little. I set up just after twelve, as it was so much better than doing it later. The meal was to be at four, with the disco starting at six, and finishing at eleven thirty. I was invited to join them for the food to save me hanging around aimlessly, but with it being in an area of Hull with a couple of shops I deal with in the day job, as well as being four hundred yards from McDonalds, I filled quite a bit of the time anyway. I didn't really fancy being in a room with a load of strangers for the meal.

Turned out the food was a buffet, and as soon as I went in, first the bride, and then the owner encouraged me to help myself. I did, and it was exceedingly good. The bride ( who was with child ) and groom were so laid back and informal, the venue was decorated superbly, and had a lovely atmosphere, so how could I go wrong?

Well the first dance was changed from what I'd been told, but a 4G connection soon solved that one, so no problems there. Halfway through the first dance, we invited the guests up, and the floor filled. So far, so good. Requests started to come in, split into two main camps. Cheese, and Indie/Rock. I can do that, good requests almost all.

Then the baffling bit. Usually at weddings, the numbers for the breakfast are limited, and Uncle Tom Cobley and all are invited for the night. As I said, the food was buffet style, and had not been anywhere near all eaten, there was a lot left, as there weren't a huge amount of folk in a fairly vast room. I was surprised to see it being taken away soon after I got going, but realised why shortly after. The bride and the owner had been talking to me on a couple of occasions, and the shortage of guests was mentioned. No worries, says Bride, my mates from work will be here when they come off shift at eight. Whoopee, a load of nurses turning up, it doesn't get any better than that, does it?

The owner had remarked on the numbers, because the food for the evening then came out, explaining why the afternoon food had been removed. Bad move. Exactly how many nurses turned up? Four! Four? I expected half the hospital staff, and so did the caterers. We hadn't eaten the first lot of grub, and never looked like demolishing the second round so soon after. By now the owner was not a happy bunny, and soon removed most of the second lot, as it was only going to go to waste. We also had a seemingly endless supply of lovely cupcakes, so starvation didn't look likely.

Well, in the manner of most weddings, afternoon guests started to drift away, and weren't replaced by the evening batch, less than ten in total. I was booked till eleven thirty, the B&G left before nine, by ten I was down to six, yes six guests! The owner had staffed the bar accordingly, and the were nearly as many staff as guests by this time. At twenty past ten, we both admitted defeat, and I was relieved to pack up. What a disappointing night, so sad for all concerned. Initially, it looked like it was going to be a corker, to make up for Wednesday's fiasco, but in truth it ended up little better. Ah well.

I packed up rapidly, drove to McDonalds for a coffee and set off on the drive home in my new ( to me ) van. It's like an armchair, it's quiet, now has a shiny new radio I can talk to in order to make calls or texts, and is an absolute dream compared to the old one. It is however deficient in one respect I'll have to address soon. It has a window in the tailgate, and is now very risky to use as a dressing room!! Time for the fitment of a sheet of plywood methinks.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Oh dear. This one promised so much, and delivered so little. I set up just after twelve, as it was so much better than doing it later. The meal was to be at four, with the disco starting at six, and finishing at eleven thirty. I was invited to join them for the food to save me hanging around aimlessly, but with it being in an area of Hull with a couple of shops I deal with in the day job, as well as being four hundred yards from McDonalds, I filled quite a bit of the time anyway. I didn't really fancy being in a room with a load of strangers for the meal.

Turned out the food was a buffet, and as soon as I went in, first the bride, and then the owner encouraged me to help myself. I did, and it was exceedingly good. The bride ( who was with child ) and groom were so laid back and informal, the venue was decorated superbly, and had a lovely atmosphere, so how could I go wrong?

Well the first dance was changed from what I'd been told, but a 4G connection soon solved that one, so no problems there. Halfway through the first dance, we invited the guests up, and the floor filled. So far, so good. Requests started to come in, split into two main camps. Cheese, and Indie/Rock. I can do that, good requests almost all.

Then the baffling bit. Usually at weddings, the numbers for the breakfast are limited, and Uncle Tom Cobley and all are invited for the night. As I said, the food was buffet style, and had not been anywhere near all eaten, there was a lot left, as there weren't a huge amount of folk in a fairly vast room. I was surprised to see it being taken away soon after I got going, but realised why shortly after. The bride and the owner had been talking to me on a couple of occasions, and the shortage of guests was mentioned. No worries, says Bride, my mates from work will be here when they come off shift at eight. Whoopee, a load of nurses turning up, it doesn't get any better than that, does it?

The owner had remarked on the numbers, because the food for the evening then came out, explaining why the afternoon food had been removed. Bad move. Exactly how many nurses turned up? Four! Four? I expected half the hospital staff, and so did the caterers. We hadn't eaten the first lot of grub, and never looked like demolishing the second round so soon after. By now the owner was not a happy bunny, and soon removed most of the second lot, as it was only going to go to waste. We also had a seemingly endless supply of lovely cupcakes, so starvation didn't look likely.

Well, in the manner of most weddings, afternoon guests started to drift away, and weren't replaced by the evening batch, less than ten in total. I was booked till eleven thirty, the B&G left before nine, by ten I was down to six, yes six guests! The owner had staffed the bar accordingly, and the were nearly as many staff as guests by this time. At twenty past ten, we both admitted defeat, and I was relieved to pack up. What a disappointing night, so sad for all concerned. Initially, it looked like it was going to be a corker, to make up for Wednesday's fiasco, but in truth it ended up little better. Ah well.

I packed up rapidly, drove to McDonalds for a coffee and set off on the drive home in my new ( to me ) van. It's like an armchair, it's quiet, now has a shiny new radio I can talk to in order to make calls or texts, and is an absolute dream compared to the old one. It is however deficient in one respect I'll have to address soon. It has a window in the tailgate, and is now very risky to use as a dressing room!! Time for the fitment of a sheet of plywood methinks.
    Look on the bright side Peter, at least you didnt have to mike up A BUNCH OF AMATEURS

Im not doing Weddings really now, cant say im missing anything.