Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 395 of 564 FirstFirst ... 295345385393394395396397405445495 ... LastLast
Results 3,941 to 3,950 of 5636

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

As an aside

- the video is to get folk talking and drive them to the site / facebook, the planner is to make life easy for my clients but it still requires access to the website, punting that during an agency booking wouldn't be cool in the slightest imo. Tonight I'm DJ Jim at hotel X and that's all anyone should know.

EDIT: As well as that, how could I possibly justify charging my clients £3x and upwards for my packages if I'll do the same one for £x for agency clients?

There's a logic to it, I'm not a total mercenary
    Last edited by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ; 05-08-2016 at 05:40 PM.

Default UNUSUAL CORPORATE

Working last night in Finchley at Avenue House a really nice friendly venue we had recommended for a small Western Themed Corporate event.

Interesting venue as it has a museum for Stephens Ink--older readers will remember buying bottles of it to use with their quill pens.

I worked there 2 years ago at a great Wedding so was happy to recommend.

We had a big old set up with Rodeo Bull, Shooting Gallery, Tin Can Alley and a whole load of Western Props plus yours truly in the main function room
    providing an American Themed Dance and Country Disco with American Flags and 2 par bars for Colour wash.

Although there wasnt a huge turnout some dancing was instructed, then to the break for food.

A nice polite guy came up and said can you turn off the music as we want to talk during the break!

OK buddy, you are paying so off goes the music. Thats a first.

More sporadic dancing followed then came a hilarious incident where a lady was listening to my Line Dancing patter but looking at her mobile, I asked loudly over the mike ---anything interesting on the Internet?--sniggers from the other dancers---I think they got the point!

Then the best bit--nothing happening everyone outside--so a guy said can you let this lady sing on your mike?

Oh dear the event had gone downhill to a karaoke.

Out comes a mobile phone and the guy finds a karaoke site with the music and words for a couple of Country numbers, we plug into my mixer and suddenly we have--INSTANT COUNTRY KAROKE --not my cup of tea--but hey nothing else is going on.

Squeeze Labelled with Love--hmmm not on my Country play list--nice tune though.

Technically sounded good--other than the singing!

An early finish was welcome and the place was empty 30 mins before scheduled end-- just a lengthy take down, plus a quick thrash up the M1 home

I hope we get to play the venue again--no sound limiters, brilliant helpful staff getting us drinks and offering to help us clear up at the end--cant say that about too many of our recent events

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    she wouldn't just go along with the hotels DJ. I know I'm not when I get married next year...
    Quotes to Jim by the usual methods please. Don't forget he's looking for the full monty, so this must be reflected in the fee.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Quotes to Jim by the usual methods please. Don't forget he's looking for the full monty, so this must be reflected in the fee.
    DJ was the first thing booked once we got the date

Busy day yesterday and today. Friday morning went to set up today's wedding in a huge priory, and in an effort to avoid the gridlock usually seen on a couple of the roads round here, I took a more rural route. All was going well until I came across a Road Closed sign, and ended up at one point on a lane with grass growing up the middle!!!

Still arrived on time, and got a rig set up in the marquee. Was shown where I have to do the ceremony music in the main building, and the solitary 5 amp ( younger readers will be unfamiliar with plugs with round pins. Oh the tales I could tell of them! ) socket, and was admonished that it wouldn't power much more than one speaker. Luckily, that's all I need, small room.

Came home by a slightly better route, and noted with pleasure that the traffic was indeed stationary at the expected points. I'll try the main roads today, should be OK. Then off to Hull for a double 21st. My, what a gig that was!! Slow to fill up, and I expected another grueller. Fancy dress, with some awesome costumes. First request was for Whitesnake, and I thought I could slot it in, and then get on with more normal fare. How wrong can you be?

The whole thing livened up, and requests varied from 50s, 70s, Rock, Metal, ( spot of Rammstein if you please, DJ ), Cheese, Happy Hardcore, and Abba. Any idea of giving the evening any structure went right out of the window, and it was usually a case of three of a kind, and change. Happy customers, so that's all that matters.

Off to the all day wedding now, will be a long one, expect to sleep through most of Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    ...and ended up at one point on a lane with grass growing up the middle!!!
    That's classed as a main road in Norfolk!

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Wedding last night at a venue I've not worked at before. Nothing really of note to mention about it, to be honest. Good gig, nice enough people and the manager on the night was happy with me. Job done.

Up early this morning to set up another wedding (day 3 of 21 and I'm already feeling it). Tonight is a 7:30pm start and a 2am finish.

It's another venue I've not worked at before. And it's the dreaded t-bar tonight.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    That's classed as a main road in Norfolk!
    I know, I've been there.

Ceremony music ( fairly ) successfully done, now waiting in the marquee for the next leg. Temperature currently around gas mark 7, and climbing. Whoopee.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    It's another venue I've not worked at before. And it's the dreaded t-bar tonight.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    We're always mean to the ones we love

Name:  benny.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  41.6 KB
    Last edited by ukpartydj; 06-08-2016 at 01:04 PM.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Never mind cake by the ocean, the cake by the side of the tent just melted. I know how it feels.