Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 41 of 564 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141541 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Friday:

Ruby wedding at a conservatice club, Nice hours 7:30 - 11:30, Arrived in good time to setup and do all the necessary checks. Announced the buffet around 9 and then 9:30 the couple came up and did a speech and then they had given me a cd with a 1st dance on it and we did that. Straight after the 1st dance I was asked by one of the clients to play Kaiser Chiefs -Ruby, I had intentions of doing this but then changed my mind to Van Morrison - Brown Eyed girl which lead on nicely into some 60's and motown, Did a fair bit of 70's and 80's and then time to finish. Nice round of applause at the end of the night and had a decent dancefloor all night. 4 people asked for cards and commented on the setup even though I just used 2 LED pars and 1 ImpossibLED as it was a small function room.

Saturday:
    40th Birthday in a golf club and I had been booked to provide the trussing setup with 1 plasma screen, projector & moving heads (Gold Video Show) I got to the venue and realised the ceiling was way too low to even get the truss on the winch stands to had to resolve to 2 t-bars, And then the fun was getting the plasma up 12 steps but it had to be done, Just a good job there was 2 of us. Steady night and not alot danced until near the end.

All in all a good weekend!

Had a goodish gig last night. It was at a local school where I Have been dj'ing for them for quite a while (mainly as my mum works there).

Instead of having a halloween night, they had a family fun night instead.

Played lots of great tunes from the 100 strong playlist given to me. lol. I was going to sell some glow sticks for the kids but saw a young lady give each kid one glow stick each. So I got on the mic and said that I will be giving away lots of glow sticks for the kids who were dancing the best. Made up about 100 and just slid hen across on the floor. They all went mad for them which made my laugh and smile. lol. This then kept the kids up and dancing and some of them getting there parents up aswell which was good.

In the end 10 buisness went out and got a round of applause from the people who stayed right to the end (about 40).

The bad points was when I loaded up my car I scratched some of the new, freshly painted interior. . So now there is a creamy mark where it should be black. .

Default NOT a BAD gig but....

Turned up at my residency on Saturday night.... to find out I had been replaced

Not hugely bothered by it as it was only £80 but it kind of filled the 'gaps'.
    I can't blame the landlord as I had let him down 3 Saturdays in a row (one of them was my 'cover' letting ME down last minute)

I explained to the temporary manager at the last disco I did there that for the following 2 weeks I could not play and couldn't get cover (due to the low fee and the fact that my usual 'cover' was working both nights).

I aslo rang them a few nights before and explained the situation again (just to clarify) and I said "if John (the landlord) wants to get someone else I understand, but ask him to give me a ring", he said ok.

As you can probably guess - I got no phone call!

When I turned up on Saturday, I went to see the landlord who was watching the England footy game and said "did you get my message" to which he replied "what message". I then went on to explain why I couldn't work the last 3 weeks and he said "oh, we've got another disco now - this'll be the 3rd week they've played here and I should have got a phone call from the temp manager". I was furious to say the least. I said I didn't get a phone call and I wanted to speak to the temp manager - he was on holiday that night (how fortunate).

I'm not saying the landlord was lying but he is a very dubious character and I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

Would a simple phone call have been too much to ask

Sorry to hear that you lost your regular source of income Justin. I am sure it it is very annoying due to the fact that you don't know whats happening and that the phone call would of set things straight.

Quote Originally Posted by djsteve10 View Post
    Sorry to hear that you lost your regular source of income Justin. I am sure it it is very annoying due to the fact that you don't know whats happening and that the phone call would of set things straight.
    While a regular guaranteed gig is nice, at £80 per, it's not a king's ransom. Sometimes things which look bad initially can be for the best. Good luck finding more work Justin. I'll maybe have a few for you.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    While a regular guaranteed gig is nice, at £80 per, it's not a king's ransom. Sometimes things which look bad initially can be for the best. Good luck finding more work Justin. I'll maybe have a few for you.
    Any additional work would be nice

By the way Peter, I've PM'd you the initial draught for your website

On tuesday I had a great night. It was an Eid celebration and eventhough the children didnt like the asian music everyone got up dancing and specially to their favorite which always has to be played or they get the face on.

Check out thes video and normally have abit more smoke to make the lights stand out a little but as there were so many kids dancing I stopped using the smoke. The older kids you can see are young volunteers.

We have permission to add the video on the net and to use for advertising and feedback (I have to state this as we have had people say its wrong to add a video before)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBdlvD6XYNo

Unfortuntily there was 1 accident at the beginning of the night when a volunteer fell down some steps.

I had a good gig Friday night....my first FFN German wine tasting gig.

Format for the night -
    12 wines tasted in the first 2 hr's with a snack break in the middle.
    I do the last 2 hr's with the disco.

2 hr's of German wine - dance music and a few games or German customs later....they are ready to party.

I had a great time and full dance floor for the slot I had.....superb.
    I now have a permant contract with them.....
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Well has a bit of a problem at my reent wedding gig.

I turned up and bought all of my equipment in and the venue owner was effing and blinding. The client said he wanted to book the venue but not the DJ as they had booked me but the venue booked there DJ aswell. SO in the end the client chose me and send the other DJ home.

Started off very well. Played lots of love songs to set the mood then came in the first dance. Well I started another thread about a song I was after, well they didnt want that song and wanted another one so they gave me the CD and I played that instead (could of saved 79p, lol).

Now during the evening they groom did a card reading. All he did was read out the cards which people sent him. This took about 20 mins to do and people were getting really tired of him saying what every card said but was interesting to hear what people had put.

Has anybody else had this before???

Apart from that a very very good evening. Lots of dancing and even had the B&G dancing to Closer by Ne-Yo. lol.

501damian501

could of saved 79p ? why could of you had saved, its another track to the collection you didnt have.