Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 412 of 564 FirstFirst ... 312362402410411412413414422462512 ... LastLast
Results 4,111 to 4,120 of 5636

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

You guys obviously aren't hip enough to get it.

It's actually a cracking bar with some nice outside seating where you can sip your gin from a tea cup (what you didn't think they were going to pour it into a collins glass did you?) and ponder on the fact you're enjoying your free time drinking hipster drinks in a block that was built from the ground up on the back of slavery and the tobacco trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    You guys obviously aren't hip enough to get it.
    Obviously an old fuddy duddy, me. I like my booze in glass vessels & my chips on a plate not in a stupid mesh container or a shoe. Sue me.

Right lads , we ( myself included ) are drifting away from good gig, bad gig. Back on topic please.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Saturday saw me in the depths of crawley ( well three bridges) , I did this gig last year , and they invited me back
    gig was in a scout hut , a proper building.
    The gig its self was for a load of ex-army lads , who bring their wives and children for a two day camping exercise
    The guys just want to let their hair down and have a drink , the disco is for the partners and children , and boy do they drink ( and thats just the women.... )
    but never even a hint of trouble, bit of eclectic mix of songs , mostly requests , a very warm night , most of the dancing was outside..... , however a very good evening , to the point that i have been booked for next year

And the obligatory list

God Save The Queen British National Anthem 8/27/16 7:15 PM
    Idina Menzel Let It Go 8/27/16 7:26 PM
    OMI Cheerleader (Felix Jaehn Remix) 8/27/16 7:30 PM
    Coldplay Adventure Of A Lifetime 8/27/16 7:36 PM
    Scooter Jumping All Over The World 8/27/16 7:40 PM
    Calvin Harris & Disciples How Deep Is Your Love 8/27/16 7:44 PM
    Lmfao Sexy And I Know It 8/27/16 7:51 PM
    Justin Bieber Love Yourself 8/27/16 7:54 PM
    Shawn Mendes Stitches 8/27/16 8:01 PM
    Little Mix Black Magic 8/27/16 8:04 PM
    Coldplay Hymn For The Weekend 8/27/16 8:07 PM
    Justin Bieber Sorry 8/27/16 8:12 PM
    Mike Posner Took A Pill In Ibiza (SeeB Remix) 8/27/16 8:15 PM
    Mamma_Mia Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (Am 8/27/16 8:18 PM
    Mamma_Mia Mamma Mia (Meryl Streep) 8/27/16 8:22 PM
    Queen We Will Rock You 8/27/16 8:25 PM
    John Travolta We go together 8/27/16 8:27 PM
    The Blues Brothers Everybody Needs Somebody To Love 8/27/16 8:29 PM
    Queen Don t Stop Me Now 8/27/16 8:32 PM
    Sigala feat Bryn Christopher Sweet Lovin' (Extended Mix) 8/27/16 8:36 PM
    Avicii Hey Brother 8/27/16 8:40 PM
    Pitbull Feat Ke$ha Timber 8/27/16 8:44 PM
    David Guetta Love Takes Over (feat 8/27/16 8:47 PM
    David Guetta ft Flo Rida & Nicki Minaj Where Them Girls At (Mastered) 8/27/16 8:50 PM
    Rihanna Feat. Calvin Harris We Found Love 8/27/16 8:53 PM
    Walk The Moon Shut Up And Dance 8/27/16 8:56 PM
    Avicii Levels 8/27/16 8:59 PM
    Years & Years King 8/27/16 9:02 PM
    Mark Ronson Uptown Funk (Feat. Bruno Mars) 8/27/16 9:06 PM
    Swedish House Mafia Feat John Martin Don't You Worry Child 8/27/16 9:10 PM
    Nicki Minaj Starships 8/27/16 9:14 PM
    Wiley Feat. Skepta, JME & Ms D Can You Hear Me (Ayayaya) 8/27/16 9:17 PM
    Fleur East Sax 8/27/16 9:21 PM
    chris brown feat benny benassi beautiful people 8/27/16 9:25 PM
    Jennifer Lopez Feat. Pitbull On The Floor 8/27/16 9:28 PM
    LunchMoney Lewis Bills 8/27/16 9:32 PM
    Fedde Le Grand Put Your Hands Up For Detroit 8/27/16 9:35 PM
    Black Eyed Peas I Gotta Feeling 8/27/16 9:37 PM
    Robin S Show Me Love 8/27/16 9:42 PM
    Robin Thicke Feat T.I. & Pharrell Blurred Lines 8/27/16 9:46 PM
    Eric Prydz Pjanoo (Radio Edit) 8/27/16 9:50 PM
    Michael Jackson Thriller [February 1984] 8/27/16 9:53 PM
    Los Del Rio Macarena 8/27/16 9:58 PM
    DJ Casper Cha Cha Slide 8/27/16 10:02 PM
    Azzurra Music Ymca 8/27/16 10:05 PM
    Ferrer La bamba 8/27/16 10:08 PM
    twenty one pilots Stressed Out 8/27/16 10:12 PM
    Kylie Minogue Spinning Around 8/27/16 10:15 PM
    Jason Donovan Too Many Broken Hearts 8/27/16 10:18 PM
    Bon Jovi Livin' on a Prayer 8/27/16 10:21 PM
    Bryan Adams Summer Of '69 8/27/16 10:25 PM
    Guns N Roses Sweet Child O Mine 8/27/16 10:29 PM
    Marvin Gaye Lets Get It On 8/27/16 10:34 PM
    Smokey Robinson & The Miracles The Tears Of A Clown 8/27/16 10:38 PM
    Lonestar Amazed 8/27/16 10:41 PM
    Skepta Shutdown 8/27/16 10:44 PM
    DJ Otzi Hey Baby 8/27/16 10:48 PM
    R.E.M. Shiny Happy People 8/27/16 10:51 PM
    Kenny Loggins Footloose 8/27/16 10:55 PM
    MC Hammer U Can't Touch This 8/27/16 10:58 PM
    Rocky Horror Picture Show Time Warp 8/27/16 11:02 PM
    Chesney Hawkes The One And Only 8/27/16 11:05 PM
    Status Quo Caroline 8/27/16 11:09 PM
    Azzurra Music Ymca 8/27/16 11:12 PM
    Rednex Cotton Eyed Joe 8/27/16 11:15 PM
    B-52's Love Shack 8/27/16 11:18 PM
    Sugarhill Gang Apache 8/27/16 11:24 PM
    Jacksons Blame It On the Boogie 8/27/16 11:30 PM
    Spice Girls Stop 8/27/16 11:33 PM
    Chic Le Freak 8/27/16 11:36 PM
    Rihanna Work 8/27/16 11:39 PM
    Silento Watch Me / (Whip Nae Nae) 8/27/16 11:43 PM
    Cool & The Gang Celebration 8/27/16 11:46 PM
    Gina G Ooh...Aah Just A Little Bit 8/27/16 11:50 PM
    Guns N'roses November Rain 8/27/16 11:53 PM ( always this track at the end)

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex

Sunday saw a surprise 30th Birthday in Hull. Young Twinspin acted as native guide and hired muscle. Surprisingly, he'd been in my neck of the woods on Saturday, and I picked up something from that gig for him. Symbiosis, you can't beat it.

Estate pub in an area of hull which was once somewhat " less than salubrious" shall we say? Fortunately, the pub at least had undergone a facelift, and was very pleasant and easy to get into, if quite small and curiously shaped. The food was in an alcove next to us, and although there was space in the room, our setup was a tad cramped. That's two bookings in a row where I wished I'd put the horns in for the Micromax. Nevertheless, we did what we could, and had a reasonable space to work in.

For some unknown reason, the birthday boy sneaked in unannounced, so I staged a " pretend " entrance, putting on Congratulations. The lad did a splendid " shock and awe " impersonation, and off we went. We started slowly, with a lot of modern stuff, and after the buffet, things livened up slowly. Once the gloves were off, we had a wide range of requests. Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, Lady Antebellum, on the Country side, Queen and AC/DC for rock, and a most entertaining session of hip hop, and Rock and Roll was catered for by a spot of Jive Bunny. ( We thought we only had three guests who would have been receptive to the genuine article, as did they ). The only pure cheese was Cha Cha Slide, although there was a slight whiff about some of The Usual Suspects.

In response to a request from a guest, I played some modern chart type stuff and effectively cleared the floor. She came back shortly after and repeated the request. I explained what a big mistake it had been, and would be again. She insisted, citing Mr Bieber as an example, so I tried again. She was right, I was wrong, third time lucky. We had a smidge of AOR for good measure, and ended in a singalong vein, Sweet Caroline, Daydream Believer and the like.

A thoroughly enjoyable evening, with a truly lovely crowd. I'll own up now that due to the area, I was a tad apprehensive, and was proved utterly wrong. Beware preconceptions at your peril. Big thanks once again must go to John for his help and advice.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Back in my residency last night for hopefully one of the last ever no info weddings. I needn't have worried - the bride & groom were very laid back & both very nice. Infact all their guests were very nice too.

60 folks in total (give or take a few) & all up for dancing from the moment they came in the room. The cake cut was a success & then the bouquet was tossed. From there it was first dance time & after that it was other dance time. We took in bits of everything, but mostly soul - Northern or otherwise. During buffet time I played background music as usual, but tailored it more to the crowd - and just for fun I slipped in the theme from C.H.I.P.S. (no, I dunno what I'm doing with that either). I looked down for a couple of minutes to do some (cough) social networking & when I next looked up there were 6 people strutting around to it. THE THEME FROM CHIPS.

Towards the end of buffet time the groom came over for a natter & said in a few minutes his mate was going to need the mic. No problem I said, expecting him to make a speech of some sort. Nope. A proposal more like. And the answer was "I'll tell you tomorrow". Oh dear.

Onwards & upwards - the slightly awkward moment took a while to dissipate but when it did the floorfillers just kept coming.

In the last 10 minutes I dug out The Gap Band's 'Oops', followed it with Boys Town Gang, and finished on one of the groom's faves - Bob Marley's One Love.

So many thanks from the crowd. What a lovely time. A real tonic. I even got a peck on the cheek from the bride. She said she'd seen me somewhere before, but couldn't remember where. I had the same feeling too, and also can't name the place or time. Maybe prison, for my crimes against music last Saturday? I dunno...
    Next month some kind of normality returns. Only 7 weddings & one murder mystery night. Whoopee!

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    and just for fun I slipped in the theme from C.H.I.P.S. (no, I dunno what I'm doing with that either). I looked down for a couple of minutes to do some (cough) social networking & when I next looked up there were 6 people strutting around to it. THE THEME FROM CHIPS.
    I would’ve been straight in with Starksy & Hutch after that...then Shaft...etc

Been trying to get on here for the past day or two without much luck. "Database error" message.
    I'll be back tomorrow with the mother of all reviews as I had a very, very memorable wedding at the weekend which definitely deserves a mention!

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    Been trying to get on here for the past day or two without much luck. "Database error" message.
    I'll be back tomorrow with the mother of all reviews as I had a very, very memorable wedding at the weekend which definitely deserves a mention!
    Yeah, Gary. That gremlin has been giving us jip for a few days now! But our tech team have been working hard behind the scenes around the clock to try and get back to some sort of normality so that you, and our other lovely forums members, can get back to discussing DJ issues, sharing tips and giving us their tales of both woe and incredible amazement in all things DJ related! And we're pleased to say (touch wood, don't walk under any ladders, and don't step on any broken paving stones...) that we're back up and running and things are looking rosy again! So we should all say a big thank you to Richie who has once again worked his magic and pulled us out of the mud! Cheers, Richie!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Thanks Richie! You've also given me the opportunity once again to bore some of this lot stupid with my reviews but hey, this one is a good one so grab yourself a beaker of warm lemon drink and a pillow and I'll fill you in on what happened over last weekend. Yes, it's an epic but it's my last review until October (I can hear you all sigh with relief!).

So, I eventually moved house on 15th August. I am now living in Norfolk in a little village outside Great Yarmouth called Ormesby St Margaret and it's both very nice and very quiet (just what we wanted). I also have the addition of 2 extra fingers on each hand now and the extra toes are coming on nicely too (that bit was a 'joke' by the way.....no offence gov').
    We've both purposely NOT taken on any work for September to give us time to get things up and running here but I knew already that I was going back to Hampshire last weekend to fulfill bookings that had been booked from last year.

I drove down stupidly early on the Friday and stayed at my sisters as planned. She actually lives 2 minutes away from my old place down there.
    I've done the drive a number of times because the missus' parents and most of her family live up in GY and it's not a bad journey once you get going.
    After a couple of hours kip once I'd got there, I was off to a meeting as arranged to see a couple who are having a party in September. Daryll is covering that one for me. Then it was back to my sisters to chill out for the evening (well, try to anyway).

Up early on the Saturday to set up at a regular venue outside town for a wedding reception.
    It was booked last year by the venue owner and the Disco was his 'present' to the couple who were good friends of his....(more on that shortly). I provided uplighting too and there was also a Photo Booth (I didn't know the supplier).
    Now, I'd met this couple 3 weeks ago. I may have mentioned it elsewhere but when I went to see them both I was slightly narked at what appeared to be a lack of interest from them. The cricket was on the TV at the time and the guys attention seemed to be focused on that more than what I was saying. The other half.....well, she had a laptop in front of her and was working on spreadsheets for the opening of her restaurant. She'd look up from time to time, say something and then continue working whilst I went over everything and she'd say..."Don't worry, I AM listening...." (Yeah, ok). I felt like I was wasting my time and I wasn't impressed, let's put it that way.

So, one thing I did find out was that they'd been married already. They'd gone abroad to do the deed about 6 weeks ago and one of the things they actually did request was for me to bring along a projector so that they could share their wedding photos with those that didn't travel abroad with them.
    The evening would run from 5.00pm (guests turning up and then steel band and food) to Midnight with me starting at 7.30pm as usual really.
    When I'd set up the Disco and Uplighting I positioned the projector so that it was ready for later and asked the Bride and Groom (who were there setting up) if they'd like to test it out....."No, it'll be fine" she said........

I arrived back at the venue for 7.10pm and as soon as I walked in I was collared by the Bride.....It was like I was dealing with a totally different person and it was all down to the booze. "Where have you been?" she shouted at me, slurring badly and holding on for to a glass of wine for dear life...."We've got problems with the projector" she said....."I NEED to show my guests our lovely photos!!!" she shouted.... I checked the projector and it was absolutely fine, as was the back up projector which I checked too. There were 3 people huddled around her (NEW) laptop and nobody could get the projector and laptop to communicate with each other. Then a guy came over and said that he worked in IT and he checked the settings and said that apparently windows 10 needed drivers installed or updating to work properly. Right, ok.... Off to the main house he went with the laptop and projector whilst I tried to reassure the (very drunk) Bride who was continuing to stress, neck the wine and shout.
    I got some background music going for a while and noticed the time. It was 8.00pm already!
    In walked the IT guy and within 5 minutes the photo slideshow was playing and everyone was watching. I decided to play a few songs to go along with the slideshow as they had no sound on it and it worked really well. Throughout the entire slideshow, the only voice you could hear was you know who's!!

When it was over (it seemed to go on for a while), it was time for the speeches.... "Right, I'll pop outside" I said to myself and as I was just walking out, the Bride walked past me....erm, stumbled past me and grabbed the attention of one of the caterers by shouting....."Bottle of white here!"
    When I finally got back in to the venue it was gone 9.00pm, no lie.
    The Bride was once again loud and was stumbling around whilst the Groom was pretty chilled and I actually felt sorry for him. The Bride looked lovely but well.... sorry but she was embarrassing. I saw her stumble into the walls a number of times. I saw her guests try not to laugh as she tried very hard not to fall over on the dance floor. She crashed into my stand a couple of times but I said nothing as it would have gone in one ear and out of the other. Needless to say I was getting annoyed BUT I was also being entertained because in all of the weddings I have done over the years I'd never seen anything quite like it before. As I said, she looked good.....but she wasn't.

So, I'd got people up and dancing once a few tables had been cleared out of the way. This was done by the caterers and the venue owners who were also getting narked now too. They were guests and as I said, the couple were friends of theirs and had been for a number of years. They'd got the venue free but had done nothing to help and neither had any of their family. I know all of this because I get on very well with the venue owners and I could see that they were getting annoyed so I tried to calm them down and help them too. I think of them as my friends really.
    I was helping them move and clear tables to get things sorted quickly so that we could actually get the party going properly when in walked (ha!ha!) the Bride again. I could see her out the corner of my eye. She fell over and was laughing out loud. She was making her way towards me and grabbed me, told me I smelt lovely and then asked me where the " projector" was because she wanted to play a video off her laptop. I'd packed it all away because I assumed it wasn't needed anymore. She went off on one and demanded I set it up again so I bit my tongue and set it up for her. She then started shouting that she wanted sound with it. The venue owner had an active speaker set up with a microphone for the speeches. She could hardly stand up but once I'd told her that she needed to speak to him and told her the score, she went over to it and started trying to shift it. It was like something out of Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em as she struggled. The venue owner wasn't impressed and told her in no uncertain terms that she couldn't use it. Things were running very late and he didn't have the cable to connect it. People wanted to get up and dance so there was no point having the sound on anyway. I had the cables to do it but said I didn't. I wanted the best for them. It was getting late and guests were milling around outside or sitting inside and I wanted to get things up and running.

It was gone 9.30pm now and we hadn't done the cutting of the cake or the first dance(s) yet.
    In the end I convinced her that the video wasn't happening (she couldn't even see the buttons on the laptop....her NEW laptop as she kept informing me via some very loud screechy shouting in my ear!). I eventually found the Groom outside and said to him that his missus was a bit "wobbly" and it might be a good idea to get things up and running with the cake cutting. He totally agreed with me and also apologised for the lateness with everything. I just said the usual thing, "As long as you're enjoying yourself, it doesn't matter".
    I quickly nipped to the loo and whilst in there a guest asked me when I was going to start the Disco properly...."Hopefully very soon" I replied...."Just waiting for the Bride really....she's a bit 'wobbly' isn't she" I said..... I then got an idea of what the problem was when the guest replied..."She always is, it's nothing new"....right ok.

I announced we'd be doing the cake cutting shortly and the venue filled up again as guests came inside again to join those already seated. The music was down low as I waited for the Bride & Groom to take their place by the cake and I was just about to do the usual intro when the Bride shouted "Stop! Hold on.....I need the loo!" in front of everybody. She then made her way towards the toilets at the other end of the venue and on the way she fell over again and laughed out loud. She got up and then stumbled towards the wall, just stopping herself from hitting it head first. You could sense that people were trying hard not to laugh but also embarrassment for her was in the air. 5 minutes later she re-appeared and we eventually got on with it.
    Then I announced their first dance (it was nearly 10.00pm now) and she fell over 3 times in total during that. The Groom couldn't keep her upright!

When it came to the dancing, everybody was up for it and the next 2 hours flew by. Lots of requests played alongside the Bride & Groom's requests and all in all, a good end to what was a pretty strange wedding reception (for me anyway). Whenever the Bride rocked on to the dance floor I expected mayhem and I lost count of the number of people she bumped into, the number of times she shouted her head off or fell over. Her wedding dress was filthy. At the end of the night the Groom thanked me but the Bride was nowhere to be seen.

After a few hours kip (that was on my mind all night), I was up and out and off to Salisbury for an all day booking....well, from 2.00pm - 11.30pm.
    It was a Fun Race Night (day) and Disco for a surprise 40th birthday in a nice hotel for a friend of mines other half. He'd been working on it for a while and no expense was spared. We've known each other for many years. I did his wedding about 7 years ago and then he split up.... I didn't realise that was his 2nd wedding at the time! His other half knew nothing about this party. I left a tad earlier than I usually would because I hadn't visited the venue before and I am glad I did because on arrival I realised that access to where I was setting up was difficult (a long walk from the car park). I also realised that my Ultimax goal posts with my pre-wired lighting rig would not fit under the ceiling where I was told to set up, not even on the lowest setting!

I had to set up with people around me, kids running around etc as guests were told to be there from Midday. I was a sweaty mess within minutes and hadn't even really started setting up as yet. Eventually I finished setting up both the Disco and the Race Day stuff and I had around 30 minutes to spare. Just as I'd finished in walked my friend and his other half and everyone cheered. He then grabbed the microphone and informed everybody that he'd proposed to her over lunch and she'd said yes. He then turned to me and said "Another booking for next year for you mate!" and everybody laughed. He said to me later on that he would make sure I was paid well as he knew I'd have to travel and wouldn't accept any discounts..........and then he handed me a £50.00 tip and said he appreciated me not letting him down and for "coming all this way". As if I'd have let him down....do me a favour!

The Race Day went really well and was very enjoyable. Everyone took part and got into it and had a great time. We had a break for the (gorgeous) BBQ and then I got on with the Disco from around 8.15pm once I'd packed away everything else. The numbers started to go down quite rapidly as guests left (it was a long day) and a lot of the kids disappeared as their parents took them home. There must have been around 25 left but they were all up for it.
    I was absolutely dead on my feet by 10.00pm and I still had 90 minutes playing time to go plus I had to pack up and then drive an hour back to my sisters.
    It was then that my friend came over and said it might be a good idea to finish at 10.30pm as everyone was "knackered" so that's what I did. I finished off with James - Sit Down and everyone got it. I had a mini round of applause and then that was it. I was packed down pretty quickly and out of the venue and at my sisters by 11.50pm which was good going.

Not much sleep followed and then I was off on my way back to Norfolk but I had to stop at Woking as I had a meeting at 11.00am with a couple whose wedding I am doing in early October back at the same venue I was in on Saturday. Lovely couple who handed me a typical wedding playlist. I know that will be a good one.
    When I eventually got back and had unloaded the van and got myself sorted I realised that my thumb was very swollen and very painful. I had no idea what I'd done to it but over the next few hours it began to give me proper grief. It was bank holiday Monday and the local doctors was closed. That didn't matter anyway because we're not registered yet. As the day went on it began to get quite painful but a couple of glasses of wine relieved it a bit. During the evening I had an enquiry....my first local one which excited me. It was for a 50th birthday in a pub about 6 miles down the road. I called the guy, met his budget (nothing special but I thought it may be a foot in the door) and arranged to pop in and see him (he was the landlord) the next day.
    When I woke up the next morning my thumb was absolutely killing me. I decided to reluctantly go to the doctors but they wouldn't see me if I wasn't registered. I registered and was then told that I couldn't be seen as there were no appointments so I went to A&E at the local hospital, waited for 90 minutes and then had my thumb absolutely battered. Something had gotten into it and had infected it so they sliced the side of it and lots of crap came out. Then they bandaged it up, told me not to get it wet and to try and keep it still as much as I could. I asked if it would be ok for the weekend and they said it would be better if I didn't work. I knew I couldn't anyway because the bandage would make it difficult.

I had to do something for the first time ever and that was to call a customer and cancel the booking with them. I was a bit surprised therefore when the guy was pretty rude and unconcerned (why would he be really?). He actually said....."You're not playing any instruments are you!!??" and then "I'll give you a hand carrying your speakers in"....That wasn't the point really, it was still painful....still is. As I said, I intentionally took nothing on for September and in reality I have 5 weeks off so a much needed holiday but I replied to the enquiry because I thought it would be a good way to get things on the go but then the thumb thing happened.

So, as you can see............it's been eventful eh!