Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 43 of 564 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143543 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    Nice one Theo!

The instruction to refuse all requests was surprising to me, though.

That's not something I've experienced before.

No it is the first time it has been specifically said to me too. They said people might choose something that didnt fit the theme of the evening which was 80's.
    I had an e-mail from them today saying "thankyou for a great disco on Saturday it was just what we wanted and everyone said how good it was!!!"
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco

ppentertainments

Last minute phone call tonight-730pm. Local greyhound stadium unable to run due to weather and had a party of 60 in for retirement do. Done Karaoke Disco. Everything already in place just had to take tv, mics and my console which has everything else built in. Great night, they could not thank me enough.

Phone call 730, setup by 815, back in the house 1120, normal fee - excellent.

Facebook - Bumble 'B' Roadshow
    Twitter - KidsChaos
    Skype - Garry.Williams402

Last night was good and bad in same gig! Three hours of being unable to arouse any interest despite playing most things. Local Cricket Club annual awards night,at a residency. Buffet, prizes and raffle done, and interest was sporadic. You spend three hours encouraging them to ask for old ones, new ones, loved ones, and the rest, and what happens? An hour to go, and they realise that you've got a large and varied library, and are prepared to play "She sells sanctuary" "Waterfront" " Tumblin' Dice" et al. Early finish shot to pieces, you cram requests in as fast as possible, and overrun by fifteen minutes. Venue staff have also worked this out, and are about as happy as you. Isn't it difficult to lift yourself when you've spent so long bored out of your skull!
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I had an excellent gig on Friday (halloween).
    It was at the Sutton Fields pub in Hull and I was covering for Twinspin as he was double booked (and not feeling well either). I did this one and John did a 2 hour kids disco.

After vague instructions from John I arrived at 6:15 and asked what time do I start, she said, whenever you're ready. She was very nice and polite (although a bit scary looking due to her fancy dress guise )

She moved all the tables out of the way and showed me where to set up.
    I also asked if I could use smoke - yes was the answer

A very easy load-in, backed car up to rear door and almost straight in to set-up area.

I started around 7:30 and played all the typical halloween tracks and a few mixes too (halloween megamix and rocky horror megamix) for about an hour. Had all PAR56's on red which, with the smoke, looked pretty cool (guess who forgot camera - AGAIN!! )

It was a large venue and very long. Towards the end of the night (just playing requests now) someone came up from the back of the pub and asked if I could turn it up. I turned it up to full pelt (just off clipping) and to be honest, the old Class-d's never failed me. They sounded awesome at full tilt. Loads off bass and crisp trebles. I was quite shocked at how good they sounded, maybe good acoustics, a bit of luck who knows

Anyway, a very happy crowd and a very happy landlady (oh, and a very happy DJ )

Halloween was a dead loss. The Venue (our Friday residency) was empty as the management had decided that they were having there Halloween party on All Hallows Day (with a band) (Monsters Ball Fancy Dress) & everyone decided they were going to that. I had to contend with 30 or so folks who were more concerned with drinking than what I was playing seemed like 3 1/2 days rather than 3 1/2 hours. One O'Clock couldn't come fast enough

Saturday by contrast was one of the best gigs I've ever done (I'll post up a set list later, when I can find it again) despite leaving home at 09:30 & arriving at the venue at 14:35 (I did stop at Darren's for an hour en route to drop off the photos from his 40th). It was a wedding in Devon for a regular customer. First dance 19:30 & they didn't stop dancing until 01:30 even during the buffet. I could've happily gone on all night, but I think they took pity on me knowing how much sleep I'd had & given that I'd given them 1/2 hour extra anyway. When I finished I got the biggest standing ovation I think I've ever had. If only they were all like that one!

As mentioned in another thread I only used 4 LED pars & an Acme Hallucination (as back projection) for this gig as I thought effects lights would've spoilled the venue. I asked the photographer his opinion on this & he whole heartedly agreed with me. I then ran this by the Groom & he was more than happy with my decision.

I got stranded in the venue due to slight flooding & a fallen tree (the original plan was to crash at my cousin's place 40 miles away in Somerset or drive back & have a kip at various services on the M5 & M4) I ended up in the bar with the Groom, his brother in law (who's wedding I did last July) & the Father of the Bride who was the last to go to bed at 5:30am!

I was treated like a long lost relative all the time I was there, fed & watered (Bacon sarnies & a very nice beer from the Exmoor brewery, can't remember what it was but it got me trollyed & no sign of a hangover yesterday morning. Before anyone says anything my first beer was 5 mins after I'd finished). I was also treated to a Full English breakfast in the morning & about a litre of orange juice.

I eventually got home at 20:45 last night after spenging the day catching up with 3 sets of relatives in Somerset & visiting my Grandad's grave & the church I was baptised in (same place)

Slept from 23:00 until 09:50 this morning.
    Last edited by Corabar Steve; 03-11-2008 at 01:14 PM.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by JayDeeDrinker View Post
    I had an excellent gig on Friday (halloween).
    It was at the Sutton Fields pub in Hull and I was covering for Twinspin as he was double booked (and not feeling well either). I did this one and John did a 2 hour kids disco.

After vague instructions from John I arrived at 6:15 and asked what time do I start, she said, whenever you're ready. She was very nice and polite (although a bit scary looking due to her fancy dress guise ) )
    If it's the same one I met, she's pretty scary without it!

Quote Originally Posted by JayDeeDrinker View Post
    It was a large venue and very long. Towards the end of the night (just playing requests now) someone came up from the back of the pub and asked if I could turn it up. I turned it up to full pelt (just off clipping) and to be honest, the old Class-d's never failed me. They sounded awesome at full tilt. Loads off bass and crisp trebles. I was quite shocked at how good they sounded, maybe good acoustics, a bit of luck who knows

Anyway, a very happy crowd and a very happy landlady (oh, and a very happy DJ )
    Ah yes, but if you'd spent another £1000, and gone for RCF like me, just think how much better it would have sounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Saturday by contrast was one of the best gigs I've ever done (I'll post up a set list later, when I can find it again) despite leaving home at 09:30 & arriving at the venue at 14:35 (I did stop at Darren's for an hour en route to drop off the photos from his 40th). It was a wedding in Devon for a regular customer. First dance 19:30 & they didn't stop dancing until 01:30 even during the buffet. I could've happily gone on all night, but I think they took pity on me knowing how much sleep I'd had & given that I'd given them 1/2 hour extra anyway. When I finished I got the biggest standing ovation I think I've ever had. If only they were all like that one!

I got stranded in the venue due to slight flooding & a fallen tree (the original plan was to crash at my cousin's place 40 miles away in Somerset or drive back & have a kip at various services on the M5 & M4) I ended up in the bar with the Groom, his brother in law (who's wedding I did last July) & the Father of the Bride who was the last to go to bed at 5:30am!

I was treated like a long lost relative all the time I was there, fed & watered (Bacon sarnies & a very nice beer from the Exmoor brewery, can't remember what it was but it got me trollyed & no sign of a hangover yesterday morning. Before anyone says anything my first beer was 5 mins after I'd finished). I was also treated to a Full English breakfast in the morning & about a litre of orange juice.

I eventually got home at 20:45 last night after spenging the day catching up with 3 sets of relatives in Somerset & visiting my Grandad's grave & the church I was baptised in (same place)

Slept from 23:00 until 09:50 this morning.
    Glad to hear it Steve, well done that man. BTW, if it's Exmoor, try "Beast". It's a tad special.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Saturday by contrast was one of the best gigs I've ever done (I'll post up a set list later, when I can find it again)
    First song: Bright Eyes - First Day of my life

In no particular order unless mentioned (although I did group them into mini 4 - 5 song sets)

Ike & Tina Turner - Proud Mary & Shake a tailfeather
    Jackie Wilson - Higher & higher
    Eddie Floyd - Big bird
    Sam Cooke - Twistin the night away
    Thelma Houston - Jumpin' Jack Flash
    Four Seasons - Beggin'
    the Jam - Move on up
    Arthur Conley - Sweet soul music
    Sam & Dave - Soul man
    Martha Reeves - Nowhere to run
    Shirley Ellis - Clapping song
    T Rex - Ride a white swan
    Stone Roses - I am the resurection
    Happy Mondays- Hallelujah
    John Kongos - He's gonna step on you again
    Blur - Girls & Boys
    Oasis - She's electric, The importance of being idle & Roll with it
    Primal Scream - Rocks
    Stealers Wheel - Stuck in the middle with you
    Steve Harley - Make me smile
    Dire Straits - Walk of life
    the Maytals - Monkey man
    the Specials - Pressure drop
    the Beat - Mirror in the bathroom
    Symarip - Skinhead moonstomp
    Madness - The Prince
    Dandy Livingstone - A message to you Rudy
    Max Romeo - I chase the Devil
    the Standells - Dirty Water
    the Sonics - Psycho & Do you love me?
    the Vagrants - Respect
    the Seeds - Pushin' too hard
    the Blendells - La la la la la
    Creedence Claerwater Revival - Molina
    the Clash - Train in vain
    Blondie - X offender
    Duran Duran - Planet Earth
    the Cure - Close to me
    Devo - Whip it
    Michael Jackson - Beat it
    Human League - Don't you want me
    G'N'R - Welcome to the jungle
    Thin Lizzy - Waiting for an alibi
    Mark Ronson - Valerie
    Paul Young - Come back & stay
    Mylo / Miami Sound Machine - Dr Pressure
    Dennis Waterman - Minder theme
    Johnny Cash - Jackson
    Madonna - Into the Groove
    Bronski Beat - Smalltown boy
    AC/DC - You shook me all night long
    Source - You got the love
    Iggy Pop / Peggy Lee - Passenger fever
    the Lemonheads - Mrs Robinson
    Simon & Garfunkel - Hazy Shade of winter
    Dolly Parton - Jolene
    Stevie Wonder - Superstition
    Haddaway - What is love
    Vanilla Ice - Ice ice baby
    MC Hammer - U can't touch this
    the Strokes - Last nite
    the Prodigy - No good (start the dance)
    Scissor Sisters - Comfortably numb
    Pet Shop Boys - Always on my mind
    Small Faces - Itchycoo Park
    Fine Young Canibals - Johnny come home
    Primal Scream - Country Girl
    Kingsmen - Louie Louie
    Georgie Fame - Green onions
    Gnarls Barkley - Smiley faces
    Eddy Grant - Electric Avenue
    Salt 'n' Pepa - Push it
    Buzzcöcks - Ever Fallen in love..........
    Proclaimers - 500 miles

Last half hour

Arcade Fire - Rebellion (lies)
    Killers - All these things that I've done & Mr Brightside
    the Faces - Ooh la la
    Rod Stewart - Maggie May
    Rolling Stones - Shine a light
    Primal Scream - Movin' on up

Last song

Love - Everybody's gotta live

Can't find the bit of paper that had the on the night requests scribbled on it but it was all more of the same
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Well I had a good gig last night, Well almost good.

Arrived at the venue at 6:30 to find out the meal and speeches had run over, Not a problem as they usually do, 7:00pm I was told I could come in now and set up and asked if I could be set up in 30 minutes, I told the venue staff and manager that I would work as fast as I can but I really need an hour for the equipment I have got. The manager then replied "well our resident DJ doesn't have all this stuff can you not just bring in a couple of lights and speakers?" I then replied to her "The customer has paid for this and I intend on providing what I have been asked to do". I was then left to my own devices and set up for 7:45. There was two couple renewing their wedding vowes so two first dances, The first one was Muse - Starlight and the second was Groove Armada - I See You Baby. On the request list there was lots of requests for Indie, Brit Pop, Rock, Ska. I played alot of the requests early on but then was asked for some 60's so I did a good 60's set and also went off into some Motown and catered for the older guests. Towards the back end of the night I just played Indie and chilled it out for the last 20 minutes with the likes of Travis - Why Does It Always Rain On Me, Baby Bird -You're Gorgeous. The crowd were loving it and I finished on Take That - Never Forget. I recieved a huge round of applause but it was then at the end of the night I had to go up to the groom to find out who was paying me, After him disappearing to find his cheque book I told him that it was cash on the night. He wasn't happy but I told him payment in advance or cash on the night at the start of the function. He told me 10 minutes and he went to a cash machine to get me the cash out.

All in all a good night but lessons to be learnt in regards to getting paid.

If it was cash at the start of the gig, then why didn't you ask him for it?