Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 437 of 564 FirstFirst ... 337387427435436437438439447487537 ... LastLast
Results 4,361 to 4,370 of 5636

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    I really like that echoey fade out transition effect. Can't do that with Mixxx.
    There's a lot even the new version of mixxx can't do. It's hurting quite a bit paying for VDJ but I absolutely love it & so far it's been as solid as mixxx ever was if not more. A couple of gigs or so ago I unplugged the controller by mistake - audio cut out but resumed very quickly when I replugged it. Colour me amazed & even awestruck

Almost a cracker last night. Almost. Venue I've played before, it's a tad curious. You play in the basement, but the DJ doesn't use steps, because the back of the car park slopes down steeply, and when you get to the outside access doors, you're at basement level. You go into the bar and announce your arrival, drive round the back, and the staff open the doors.

Or not. After over ten minutes standing outside freezing my bits off, I rang the pub and repeated my plea to be let in. They then sent someone down.

21st Birthday party, with a very acceptable, if curious and confusing playlist. No cheese, yet Vengaboys- We Like To Party made it on there, along with Wake Me Up Before You Go Go.

It turned out in many ways to be virtually a carbon copy of one I did a while ago. Mixed age group, so older family, and younger friends. Request list reflected this. Birthday girl's requests were fairly modern and charty, and received with something bordering on apathy. Mum's were mainly 80's anthems, and packed the floor. On the whole, a successful night, but....................................

What took the edge off it for me was that nobody, repeat nobody came to speak to me at all, to say hello at the beginning. The only interaction I had was being asked for requests, and asked to announce the buffet. Everyone was perfectly pleasant and civil, happy and relaxed, and enjoying the night. The venue doesn't help in that respect, you're effectively behind a wall separating the room, and blocking you off from punters. Far from ideal.

Ah well, Doncaster tonight, Karaoke, and I've been told I can't have access as early as usual. Hey ho.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    What took the edge off it for me was that nobody, repeat nobody came to speak to me at all, to say hello at the beginning. The only interaction I had was being asked for requests, and asked to announce the buffet. Everyone was perfectly pleasant and civil, happy and relaxed, and enjoying the night.
    I often find this the case, but when I send a courtesy email to check if everything was ok, the reply is often very apologetic for not having conversed. I think a lot of people are so overcome by the occasion they simply have other things on their mind.

To me, if I play any requests, do as required, then it is job done. Some of my best testimonials have actually been from people who never converse with me on the night. I used to find this rude and went over to inject some conversation, but now I don't which seems to be more appealing.

Likewise, I am not one of those people who 'pretend' to be friends with people who book me.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Likewise, I am not one of those people who 'pretend' to be friends with people who book me.
    No pretend about it here. Anybody willing to give me money is most certainly my friend, no ifs, no buts.

Would have been nice to have a stormer of a gig to lift my spirits, but what do I get? A grueller of a 60th Birthday.

Customer informs me on the day that I can't have access till half an hour before start time. Only way round that would have been arriving with family to set up in the early afternoon, so not ideal. Karaoke on as well, so more kit and more work, less than ideal.

I turn up on the night to find a bowling club with security resembling Pentonville Prison!! First glance suggests a killer load in, just to add to my woes. Then, at last I get a break. Once the manager arrives, he unlocks a gate which gives me private parking a few yards from the fire doors next to the stage. They're rather smart, and auto hold open as well.

So, I get the " Karaoke Lite " kit in. Same as Karaoke, but I leave the live mixer out, and use the summed output from the Quad radio mic receiver. I do this when space or time ( or both ) is an issue. I get the kit running with minutes to spare, and we welcome the birthday boy. Numbers aren't high, it's a good sized venue, and everybody wants to sit and chat to family and friends. The seats have been superglued, and most of the few requests I'm getting are for unsuitable bilge.

Birthday boy kicks off the Karaoke, and this briefly lifts the mood. We have the cake, and we're limping towards the finish. Another flurry of karaoke near the end, and my torment is over. Ride home is a novelty, less than thirty miles. To stop me being too happy, there's a howling gale, and driving sleet. Remind me again why we do this job.

I had a good gig last night.

Date night with the Mrs!

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I'm in the unenviable position of being the kind of person who can't do that anyway.

Last night brought one of those no details wedding jobbies. I knew it was a wedding & that was all. So, with van packed I arrived at the residency before 6pm & found the speeches overrunning. Damn. I could've gone back home for my glasses after all!

Anyway the hotel got the room turned around & I got all set up then we had folks coming into the room at 7.30. I had a brief chat with the groom about the music - there were to be 3 (Three!) first dance tracks. Nobody Does It Better being the first & main one, then The Beatles' in My Life for a bit & finally Christina Perri - A thousand Years. Except could either the DM or I get the B&G to assemble for the cake cut in good time? Nope. The photographer was very demanding & told me to turn all my lights off. We compromised & I left the booth lit. Onwards to the first dances then... nope... nope.. and nope again. Ok time to take matters into my own hands since the DM wasn't willing.. I went ahead & announced it... job done.

Then it was buffet time. Yawn. It was Motown wot finally got em up, then we went into the couple's preferred genre of 'indie' & Madchester stuff - to wails from the guests. Joy. Then it was a long limp towards finishing time.. and at 12.50am I was on my way home at last.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Ah well, Doncaster tonight, Karaoke, and I've been told I can't have access as early as usual. Hey ho.
    Where abouts were you? Wish I'd known, I had Saturday night off.

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post

Date night with the Mrs!
    Same here

Drought's nearly over at last and soon be time to be gigging again

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    Where abouts were you? Wish I'd known, I had Saturday night off.
    Now he tells me!

Maximum security wing of Pilkington Bowling Club, just past The Glasshouse. My but it's heavily protected.

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post

Date night with the Mrs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Same here
    Wayne, I don't think this is the forum to be admitting to going out with someone else's wife!! Most unsuitable.