Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 457 of 564 FirstFirst ... 357407447455456457458459467507557 ... LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,570 of 5634

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    For anything like this, pick up the phone and have a chat with them, rather than sending an email. It comes across far better. You can even point them in the direction of the wedding co-ordinator and C&E manager to chat with them too.

The "please explain" email came from the Wedding Co-ordinator (as did the reminder yesterday), so I felt obliged to reply by e-mail, as she also said she wanted to "pass it on to her boss". I did say to call me if they felt they needed to discuss it further.

This was at 9.40pm and the lay out of the room and my set up position does not make it easy to get out from behind the gear. Coupled with the fact that the building is a warren of interconnecting rooms, it would probably have taken me a while to find the B&G. The tog was esconced in his photo booth / studio in the building's entrance hall where he had completely taken over, meaning that anyone who waled through the front door, was immediately pounced upon to partake in before they had even got their coats on.

As the C&E manager said this weekend, he'd been a all day!

Default Harder than it should have been

Well....what's not to like? An 80s themed wedding (yes the cake was a Rubik's cube), my old fashioned retro rig in a posh venue (I've got some nice photos now ), and nothing but 80s music for the duration....

But it wasn't easy going

I knew it was a small wedding of only around 50 guests, what I didn't realise is that a dozen were under the age of 12. So...I'm down to 38 potential dancers before I even start. The problem was, they weren't dancers. I think I counted a dozen on the floor just after the first dance, but after that it was no more than 2-3 at a time.

Because of the number of kids, the adults very quickly started to disappear as bed time approached, leaving me with 8 for the final 90 minutes, all of whom were staying at the venue for the night.

I knew the groom was unhappy about the number of guests that had disappeared so early on. In fact he apologised to me at one point for the lack of dancing. I explained as I always do that the important people are still here, and it's not unusual for a wedding to not have a rammed floor (the venue agreed with me).

It was a very long and hard night from my side of the booth.

Having said all of that - I really enjoyed it. I had carte-blanch on the playlist apart from half a dozen requests from the bride and groom, so had a chance to play a lot of stuff I don't normally get to even consider. Let's face it, some of the more obscure stuff might have worked...possibly....

End of the night arrives and I get a round of applause from the remaining 8 guests, hugs and handshakes and loads of compliments on the music I've been playing. Apparently it was well and truly enjoyed

See...it's not all about the legs on the dance floor

Right - time for some shut eye....got a trip to some place in Birmingham in the morning and potentially a lot of damage to do to my liver tomorrow night....I need all the rest I can get. For those that are going along - I'll see you there!

Default Hectic weekend.

Fabulous gig last night with The Legslappers, in Lincoln. Great crowd raising money for Umbrellas, an organisation offering support for parents with children with learning difficulties. Would have been a superb night, but one of the Mauis has developed a bad connection on the mono line input, and using the second channel gives a lot less output. Fortunately, rerouting into a socket on the top resolved this for now.

Today sees me about to set off for a christening in Hull, before hurtling down to BPM, yippee! A night out in Brum beckons, and a look round the show tomorrow.

Last of the spuds on Tuesday, hopefully, and then a more relaxing Wednesday, hopefully.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Second gig back on the road last night.

Was a small wedding at a pub around 1.5 miles from home.

We was in a marquee and due to be on a stage in the garden but due to high winds a smaller marquee was put up in a different position to shield from the winds which left us having to set-up on grass and run a cable exposed to the weather.

We managed to find some old carpet in the shed and used that as a bit of protection to keep the skirts/skims in tact!

Started off with around 30-35 people at 5PM. By 7PM we was down to 20 which ended with around 5 at 10PM.

We spoke to the groom and he agreed to call it a night, so we finished at 10 instead of the intended 11PM.

Bride and Groom was very happy and managed to get another booking from the brother-in-law of the Groom for next Summer.

So far, so good!
    Nathan.

Saturday, another great night at my pub residency. A good mix of music and karaoke as always.
    It wasn't as busy as usual, but got to be expected a week before people get paid, but what lacked in numbers was made up for in enthusiasm. From the get go I had people up dancing ... not just on the floor but at points on the seats and tables. There was no set playlist, just a case of see how the night goes. 70s and 80s seemed to be the flavour of the night, with a few karaoke requests thrown into the mix.

The final outcome musically ended up as below .... all in all a lot to fun.

19:51 Simple Minds - Don't You (Forget About Me)
    19:56 Bryan Adams - Summer of 69
    19:59 Journey- Don't Stop Believing
    20:03 Cher - The Shoop Shoop Song
    20:05 a-ha - Take On Me
    20:09 Erasure - A Little Respect
    20:12 ELO - Mr. Blue Sky (2012 version)
    20:16 Bruce Hornsby & the Range - The Way It Is
    20:20 (Karaoke) Judy Garland - Over The Rainbow
    20:23 Deacon Blue - Real Gone Kid
    20:27 (Karaoke) Neil Diamond - America
    20:31 New Order - True Faith
    20:35 Bloodhound Gang - The Bad Touch
    20:39 Scissor Sisters - I Don't Feel Like Dancin'
    20:44 Lady Gaga - The Edge Of Glory
    20:49 (Karaoke) Billy Fury - Like Ive Never Been Gone
    20:51 Katrina & The Waves - Walking On Sunshine
    20:55 Bob Seger - Old Time Rock N' Roll
    20:58 (Karaoke) Johnny Burnette - Dreamin
    21:00 Queen - Don't Stop Me Now
    21:04 Supremes - Cant Hurry Love.Mpg
    21:06 (Karaoke) Jimmy Nail - Big River
    21:12 Billy Joel - Uptown Girl
    21:15 Lionel Richie - All Night Long (All Night)
    21:19 (Karaoke) Andy Kim - Rock Me Gently
    21:24 September by. Earth, Wind and Fire
    21:27 Andrea True Connection - More, More, More
    21:30 (Karaoke) The Stylistics - Cant Give You Anything (But My Love)
    21:34 Ed Sheeran - Galway Girl
    21:37 Maggie Lindemann - Pretty Girl
    21:40 (Karaoke) The Carpenters - Rainy Days And Mondays
    21:44 Diana Ross - I'm Coming Out
    21:48 The Donna Summer Special - Bad Girls
    21:51 (Karaoke) Albert Hammond - It Never Rains In Southern California
    21:55 The Trammps - Disco Inferno
    21:58 Gibson Brothers - Que Sera Mi Vida (If You Should Go)
    22:02 Ottwan - Hands Up
    22:05 (Karaoke) James Bay - Hold Back The River
    22:09 Barry White - You´re my first, my last, my everything
    22:13 The Tams - Hey Girl Don't Bother Me
    22:15 Four Tops - I Can't Help Myself
    22:19 (Karaoke) Ed Sheeran - Thinking Out Loud
    22:24 Talk Talk - It´s My Life
    22:27 Mental As Anything Live It Up
    22:31 Give It Up - KC & The Sunshine Band
    22:34 (Karaoke) The Cascades - Rhythm Of The Rain
    22:37 (Karaoke) John Paul Young - Love Is In The Air
    22:41 Kenny Loggins - Footloose
    22:43 Deniece Williams - Let's Hear It for the Boy
    22:47 (Karaoke) Bobby Vee - Bobby Vee Medley 1 (Fast Songs)
    22:51 Jackie Wilson - Your Love Keeps Lifting Me Higher
    22:54 Blues Brothers - Shake Your Tail Feather
    22:56 Frank Wilson - Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)
    22:59 (Karaoke) Neil Diamond - Sweet Caroline
    23:02 Billy Ocean - Red Light Spells Danger
    23:06 Stevie Wonder - Signed Sealed Delivered (I'm Yours)
    23:08 The Drifters Saturday Night At The Movies
    23:10 (Karaoke) The Drifters - Under The Boardwalk
    23:13 Jim Diamond - Hi Ho Silver (Boon Theme Tune)
    23:17 The Rembrandts- I'll be there for you
    23:20 Hues Corporation - Rock the Boat
    23:23 Earth, Wind & Fire - Let's Groove
    23:27 Barry Manilow - Copacabana (At the Copa)
    23:31 Mud - Tiger Feet
    23:35 The Sweet - Wig Wam Bam
    23:38 (Karaoke) Oasis - Wonderwall
    23:41 MC Hammer - U Can't Touch This
    23:46 PSY-Gangnam Style/2Legit 2 Quit Mashup
    23:50 WALK THE MOON - Shut Up and Dance
    23:53 Mark Ronson (Bruno Mars) - Uptown Funk
    23:57 Enrique Iglesias - SUBEME LA RADIO REMIX ft. Sean Paul
    00:01 Justin Bieber - 'Despacito' Ft. Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee
    00:05 Enrique Iglesias - Bailamos
    00:09 Stevie Wonder Happy Birthday
    00:14 Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance With Somebody
    00:20 S Club 7 - Reach
    00:24 Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now
    00:28 Mel & Kim - Respectable
    00:31 Five - Everybody Get Up
    00:35 Girls Aloud - Jump
    00:38 Clean Bandit - Rockabye ft. Sean Paul & Anne-Marie
    00:42 OMI - Cheerleader (Felix Jaehn Remix)
    00:45 Mabel - Finders Keepers ft. Kojo Funds
    00:50 Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe
    00:53 Enrique Iglesias - I Like It
    00:57 Chris Brown - Yeah 3x
    01:01 Jax Jones - You Don't Know Me ft. RAYE
    01:06 P!nk - What About Us
    01:11 Clean Bandit - Symphony feat. Zara Larsson
    01:14 Johnny B. Goode - Back to the Future Movie CLIP

Had a career first last night

Place is council run and it's booked until 1 but the bar shuts at midnight. I'm booked until Midnight and as it rolls round everyone is manic.

It had been an amazing night - I had them singing Oasis at one point and seriously they were so loud you'd have thought there were over 1000 in the place - so when we'd got Loch Lomond out of the way they were all going absolutely mental for one more song.

The lights hadn't come on and to be fair I had a few minutes to play with - the bride, groom and a tonne of their pals were really into their house stuff so I dropped Frankie Knuckles Your Love and the place exploded.

The janitor comes over and says: "The music finishes at 12"

Not a problem, I'm only going to play a few minutes of it.

30 seconds later he's back screaming in my face: "If you don't turn it off I'll cut the power to the whole place!"

OK grandad

Crowd were understandably annoyed but I got a massive cheer for at least trying and the groom said the guy was a and handed me the tip he had intended to give him

The guy did come up and apologise later on but they have moany neighbours. I explained that I'd have killed the tune at Midnight and he said "it was already 5 past though..."

Nope, definitely not mate, I set my laptop clocks to the venue clock on the wall there and I had time.

"aye but I set my watch 5 minutes fast so we're always finished on time..."

Anyways great night Amazing feedback and even the too cool for school house DJ pals said they'd had an amazing night.

Gig 4 of 5 tonight in town. Horrible load in, playing with a band who up until this point have been absolutely horrendous to deal with (if you've read my article in the last pro mobile they make an appearance or two ) so I'm going in with baited breath.

A lovely all day wedding yesterday for an older couple (both remarrying).

But they were doing it properly, at a nice venue etc.

Around 60 guests, in a room that holds up to 100 for the wedding breakfast, so was nice to see people not squashed in for one!

But then the realisation that only an extra 10 were arriving for the evening - so 70 guests in a venue that comfortably holds 150 for the evening reception.

Normally, they close off half of the room where the wedding breakfast was, to reduce the number of tables in there, as there's another room where the disco is, a separate bar, and also a 'lounge' room where guests can chill out. But for this, the bride and groom wanted to keep the full wedding breakfast room open.

So once the wedding breakfast was over, with the guests dispersed across the rooms, it all felt a bit sparse, and I was nervous for how the evening would go.

There were about 4 young children, and only about 6 in their 20s/30s. The majority of the guests were 50+.

However, after the first dance at 8pm, the dancefloor never emptied, which surprised me based on the number of guests. Credit to the bride and groom for spending the majority of the evening on the dancefloor - that always makes a big difference.

Through the evening, as usual, guests were gradually saying their goodbyes.

The planned end time was 12:30, which I was always nervous about (it just feels a little too late), but at 11:40 the bride said that she felt guests were getting tired, and it'd probably be best to end up 12, which I'm so pleased she did. It meant we got to finish their day with a full dancefloor, just how I like it!

The stamina of the guests was amazing - I always get nervous when people start dancing straight away, as there's only so long people can dance for! So I'm not surprised they were getting tired by midnight! I even had my 'false ending' planned, played my 'false last song', but didn't get any requests for 'one more song', I think they had tired themselves out too much!!

A lovely couple, and lovely guests, so a thoroughly enjoyable wedding.

Default A lot of work for twenty minutes.

Another Legslappers gig, at a new venue, with new clients. First one they'd done, and it showed. I was delighted to find that if I reversed over the grass ( naughty ) I could get to the door leading straight to the stage. Good job, as with it being Halloween, I had extra kit, I needed the Strobe, smoke machine and live mixer with vocal effects.

Except I didn't. Hadn't been marketed as a Halloween gig, couldn't use smoke, and ended up with lots of kit on stage that wasn't going to be used. Harrumph. Ah well, never mind, at least the van's near the door.

Seems everybody except me was running late, and nobody had any great urge to pick up the pace. The half time food break dragged on and on with nothing happening, even though we had a " Heads and Tails " to do. I end up with the FFN back on stage raring to go, and me doing the game against the clock, wonderful.

FFN finish their bit with the crowd all on the floor dancing merrily, and hand directly into my music as usual for the last hour. Oops, silly me, that was in my dreams. No, this lady decides that she'll oversee the raffle with a cabled mic that won't reach as far as she'd like, which makes for an interesting sight when she's trying to hold the mic, take tickets from the person drawing them ( who she can't reach because of the cable ) take tickets from the winners, and hand out prizes.

By this time, I'm past caring, and thinking that if she'd let me call the numbers, we'd have been finished much more quickly, and with less fuss. Still, she's had her fifteen minutes of fame. We follow the raffle with the result of the " Golden Ticket " game ( you put money in an envelope, write your name on it, and the person whose envelope is drawn shares the money with the charity).

So, I'm eventually on, and song selection is unlikely to be a problem, especially as I've got a lovely lady whose requests would nearly have filled up the time available. And then it just gets better. The organisers have been absolutely lovely, lovely people, but inexperienced in running such an event. Turns out they have a couple of singles out for download, and to be fair, they're very good.

Picture the scene, I've been let off the leash, I've got twenty minutes to play, the audience are chomping at the bit, and organiser says:
    " Can you download music"?
    Well yes, but I'm currently multitasking just a bit, after spending four and a half hours twiddling my thumbs.
    " It's on Itunes ".
    " I can't do Itunes " says I.
    " Well where else can you download from " she asks?
    " Anywhere except Itunes " is the reply.

Eventually, we ascertain it's on Amazon, so with a 4g signal on the phone, I've got it. Except I shouldn't have picked the most recent one of the two, so let's have another try, eh? Bingo, that's a runner. And it's nearly time to pack up, having arrived at the venue super early to set up the surplus and unnecessary kit, I've been on site for hours, and I've played music for............................................... ......................

Twenty minutes. I suggested to the organisers that next time, we need to be a bit slicker . Shame, cos we had a fabulous crowd, splendid venue, marred by long periods of inactivity.

None of that on Tuesday, 150plus sixth formers in a venue designed for around 100, as many lights as I can be arsed to drag upstairs, DSB set to repel boarders ( space is at a premium ) and the Proels singing their heads off. Last time, I took Micromax, Powerbar and Mauis, due to a lack of vital information. Can't have been that bad, they've gone for me again.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

My one and only freebie of the year today for the local Scout group (well....it'd be rude not to do it for free since I'm one of the longest serving leaders).

100, yes ONE HUNDRED village kids and their associated parents crammed into the local village hall for 2 1/2 hours of fun and merry making....my Gawd that was hard work, but a heck of a lot of fun.

One of the parents even brought me a tasty, cold pint of lager at the half way mark (I was drenched in sweat from the silly costume and layers of greasepaint I was covered in!).

Loads of money made for the Scout group, and a warm fuzzy feeling of giving something back to boot

Time to put my feet up now and prepare for a posh wedding on Friday night

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    The janitor comes over and says: "The music finishes at 12"

Not a problem, I'm only going to play a few minutes of it.

30 seconds later he's back screaming in my face: "If you don't turn it off I'll cut the power to the whole place!"

The guy did come up and apologise later on but they have moany neighbours. I explained that I'd have killed the tune at Midnight and he said "it was already 5 past though..."

Nope, definitely not mate, I set my laptop clocks to the venue clock on the wall there and I had time.

"aye but I set my watch 5 minutes fast so we're always finished on time..."
    There's a village hall in Somerset where I used to live where the power is timed to trip out at 1150 precisely. Doesn't matter what you are doing - boof! - immediate silence and darkness, followed by the swift introduction of the billion watt house lights.