Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 469 of 564 FirstFirst ... 369419459467468469470471479519 ... LastLast
Results 4,681 to 4,690 of 5636

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

I was out on Friday night in a venue in the centre of Great Yarmouth, supplying an 80's themed Disco for a 50th birthday party.
    It was booked just before Christmas and at the time of booking, I was looking forward to it..... however, 8 weeks ago I had what they call an 'episode' (mini stroke.....a casual walk to the village shop one Tuesday afternoon ended up with me going blind for 25 minutes....scary stuff, not nice!), so I have been taking it easy. Had a lovely relaxing weekend away in Somerset at a place called Wookie Hole in Wells near Cheddar - Long drive, but worth it).... Anyway, enough of the morbid stuff for the moment.....

I'd been in constant contact with the customer and had assured them that I was ok to do the party, although I must admit that I didn't feel like it at all when Friday arrived and I had to load the van up and make my way to the venue.
    It was a bit of a nightmare to get in the place as parking near to the venue was near non-existent, but I managed to sweet talk a member of staff in to moving their car so I could get as close as possible. I also wasn't aware of the small flight of stairs either (despite having the question "Does the venue have stairs / a lift?" on my booking forms). It was a warm day too, so things weren't going to be too comfortable getting everything upstairs. I must admit, I struggled a bit and as the time passed, the more reluctant I was to do the party.....but, I had no choice, it was too late to bail out.

Luckily though, the party organiser and the guests were some of the nicest people I have met and they couldn't have been more helpful and welcoming if they'd tried.
    Once I was set up and I had done the sound and light checks, I had a bit of time to spare so I chatted to the staff who seemed impressed with my set up.
    I had a huge list of song requests, nothing out of the ordinary, but lots of down tempo stuff too. I'd organised the huge list into sections and also informed the organiser that I would play a lot of the slower tracks at the beginning of the night as the guests arrived (I always try to do this whenever possible).

As the venue filled up with guests in fancy dress, the atmosphere began to build up. When the birthday girl arrived for her 50th birthday celebrations, I had to look twice.... 50? She looked like she was in her early 30's to me!!! I played as many of her requests as I could throughout the evening and she danced to nearly everything. The guests filled the dance floor for most of the night, only stopping to either get some food, a drink or just have a rest as it was quite warm.

At one point during the evening, a lady came over and asked if I could "play some slowies" - No problem. I thought I would play on the whole school disco thing and asked everyone to imagine the days of asking each other if they wanted to dance (hard to explain really)..... I played 3 slowies from the list - Spandau Ballet - True, Madonna - Crazy For You and George Michael - Careless Whisper and the dance floor was packed.

It really was a good night and did me the world of good. It was one of those nights where I couldn't do any wrong and I really enjoyed it.
    I finished the music at midnight with Nena - 99 Red Balloons and then received a round of applause. Everyone was happy, including me.
    I took my time packing down the equipment as I knew it would be difficult getting out due to the number of people blocking my way out and the venue being open until 2.00am.

The staff were happy and very complimentary, as were the guests.
    Job done!

Last night, Daryll was covering a wedding for me in Hampshire so I am sure he'll pop along at some point with a report on that one - Thanks Daryll.

I am back to taking it easy now and am out again at Great Yarmouth racecourse in June for a weekend event and I'll just see how things progress. I am getting plenty of interest, just don't want to make any commitments at the moment.

Over and out!

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Hope that you continue to get better, Gary.

Thanks Benny.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    I have been taking it easy. Had a lovely relaxing weekend away in Somerset at a place called Wookie Hole in Wells near Cheddar - Long drive, but worth it)....

Over and out!
    Ah, my home City of Wells, the smallest city in England. My grandad used to work at Wookey Hole paper mill where they used to make bank note paper. He was searched three times before he could leave work at the end of the day.

Well done Gary. Glad you got back in the saddle OK and I hope health continues to improve and stay good. Maybe you should look around for a roadie to help you.

On a side note when I first turned professional in 1968 I did a summer season in Great Yarmouth in the cellar bar of The Newbeach Hotel on the corner of Regent Rd opposite the Brittania Pier. 7 lunchtimes and 7 evenings a week . It was very busy in those days with loads of holiday makers on wake weeks from all over the UK. A great experience. Stayed at the Newbeach a couple of years back and it is very different now.
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco

Thanks mate.

Not wishing to take this off topic (sorry if I have chaps), I had my heart monitor test results through yesterday morning, and all seems ok with no irregularities.
    I'll be on these statins and blood thinners now forever by the looks of it.

With reference to a roadie, not for me. I've never had one and I don't intend to have one now. No offence to them or anyone that has them, I've always worked alone. As I've mentioned previously, I am enjoying DJing every now and then when I want to, rather than having to do it as a business. I am finding that by doing a day job (now working from home), I am enjoying it more when I do decide to do it.

Regent road.... yes, I know where that is. I've not really taken much notice of the venues to be honest, but I'll have a butchers next time I go down that way.

Off topic Gary? Considering how many of us are on long term meds because of various similar health issues, it's either cut you a lot of slack, or start a new section " Coronary Corner"!

If you haven't already done so, get a " season ticket " for your prescriptions. Far cheaper, unless like me you're on freebies because of advanced age.

Take it easy mate, stress is bad news, so anything you can do to relax is good. Except alcohol.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    ...anything you can do to relax is good. Except alcohol.
    Oh I dunno....works for me

Seriously though Gary - take it easy. There's plenty of decent chaps over in your neck of the woods if you ever need backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Oh I dunno....works for me

Seriously though Gary - take it easy. There's plenty of decent chaps over in your neck of the woods if you ever need backup.
    I can speak from experience that there are plenty of very decent chaps ( and chapesses ) all over the place, who will step into the breach if needed.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Thanks again guys, very much appreciated.

I've signed up for the 'season ticket', did it this morning actually....probably because it finally dawned on me that I will be on them for "a while" lol.

Absolutely smoke free now, not alcohol free though.....I won't be changing that, not unless I really have to, but saying that....I'm not a huge drinker anyway, I just like my real ale, ipa, gin and er..... rum, whiskey.....hold on.....

Seriously though, thanks again for the well wishes and offers.