Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 471 of 564 FirstFirst ... 371421461469470471472473481521 ... LastLast
Results 4,701 to 4,710 of 5634

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

A couple of stonking playlists there Justin

Mine tomorrow could go either way....it's a wedding in a regular haunt which either works well or bombs....no contact other than a couple of very brief emails from bridey and she likes her chart music....eeek! No first dance for this one either - just straight into the party.

Hopefully it'll be the default type of wedding crowd and I'll only have to wing an hour of the current stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    A couple of stonking playlists there Justin

Mine tomorrow could go either way....it's a wedding in a regular haunt which either works well or bombs....no contact other than a couple of very brief emails from bridey and she likes her chart music....eeek! No first dance for this one either - just straight into the party.

Hopefully it'll be the default type of wedding crowd and I'll only have to wing an hour of the current stuff
    Funny but every time I've been asked for 'chart' this year I ask them "such as?" & they say "oh you know, Uptown Funk & stuff" :O Hrm. I actually played a couple of tunes from the current hit parade last night - George Ezra Paradise & that Portugal The Man effort. Both went down a storm. Sweary as heck mumble rap is still big as far as I know, but if I'm packing a bass bin I actually quite enjoy playing it. Oh man, that JBL VRX918SP at that prom the other week.. it was at the back of the stage (floor wasn't an option) about 10 feet behind me & my laptop screen was shaking - and it wasn't even turned all the way up. No wonder the kids were screaming NB - lovely bin, sounds AMAZING. Just not the sort of thing you'd ever enjoy carting round with you.

Oh BTW since I've never made a 'gig log' video as such, I thought I'd have a bash at it for the 90s night

https://youtu.be/yJNhf1LNMjU

Camera work is awful & my fingers have a terrible habit of trying to cover the camera up when people are dancing. My only excuse is that I was having as good a time as the customers

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Funny but every time I've been asked for 'chart' this year I ask them "such as?" & they say "oh you know, Uptown Funk & stuff" :O Hrm. I actually played a couple of tunes from the current hit parade last night - George Ezra Paradise & that Portugal The Man effort. Both went down a storm. Sweary as heck mumble rap is still big as far as I know, but if I'm packing a bass bin I actually quite enjoy playing it. Oh man, that JBL VRX918SP at that prom the other week.. it was at the back of the stage (floor wasn't an option) about 10 feet behind me & my laptop screen was shaking - and it wasn't even turned all the way up. No wonder the kids were screaming NB - lovely bin, sounds AMAZING. Just not the sort of thing you'd ever enjoy carting round with you.
    Funny enough - that's how I plan to start out tomorrow night (there's no first dance so I'll be "introduced" with the sweeping back of the curtain to reveal the dance marquee and it'll be Timberlake's Can't Stop The Feeling followed by Uptown Funk and we'll take it from there. I very much doubt it's going to be a trip into the Promo-Only collection (or at least I hope it's not!).

I won't be packing bins tomorrow night. Against my better judgement I'll be on the Maui 28s. On paper they'll do the job in there but last time I used them in there they sounded "lacking". The venue insist that all equipment is kept on the stage so it's normally the DXR15s in there. However, my ears haven't stopped ringing since the last time I used those three weeks ago....I'm just looking after the lug-holes tomorrow night until I have the herring aids fitted in a couple of weeks time.

Fairly rare double dunter over the weekend. Last night was a wedding in a stunning venue. The bride herself said she wasn't sure how much dancing there would be and I really needed to work the tables to get things going but we got there in the end. Not going to go down as one of the greats but the feedback at the end from the couple, guests and bar was great - amazing how actually grafting the crowd instead of moaning on FB mid gig can turn out like that

Fridays on the other hand was one of the funnest gigs I've ever done. It was for a VW festival, a BIG festival as it turns out. 600-1,000 odd people in the tent for an 80s disco. I don't usually do playlists but this is worth mentioning:

*=request

SOUNDCHECK
    19:08 : CHVRCHES - Recover
    19:09 : Robbie Robb - In Time
    BACKGROUND
    19:34 : Robbie Robb - In Time
    19:39 : Fleetwood Mac - Everywhere
    19:42 : Christians - Ideal World
    19:45 : Mike & The Mechanics - All I Need is a Miracle
    19:48 : Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes
    19:52 : Madonna - Like A Prayer
    19:57 : Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - Enola Gay
    20:00 : Madness - Wings Of A Dove
    20:03 : INXS - Mystify
    20:06 : Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill
    20:10 : Bananarama - Venus
    20:14 : Haircut 100 - Fantastic Day
    20:17 : Boy Meets Girl - Waiting for a Star to Fall
    20:21 : Tears For Fears - Sowing The Seeds Of Love
    20:26 : Rod Stewart - Young hearts be free tonight
    20:31 : Lionel Richie - All Night Long
    20:37 : Wet Wet Wet - Sweet Little Mystery
    20:41 : Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - Enola Gay
    INTRO AND FULL SET
    *20:44 : Cutting Crew - (I Just) Died In Your Arms Tonight
    20:48 : Erasure - Little Respect
    20:55 : Phil Oakey & Girgio Moroder - Together In Electric Dreams
    20:58 : Dire Straits - Walk Of Life
    21:02 : George Harrison - Got My Mind Set On You
    21:05 : Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance With Somebody
    21:09 : Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star
    (CEILIDH) 21:24 : Tiffany - I think we're alone now
    *21:30 : ABC - The Look Of Love
    21:32 : Heaven 17 - Temptation
    (CEILIDH) 21:44 : The Bluebells - Young At Heart
    21:47 : The Cure - Friday I'm In Love
    21:50 : Madness - Our House
    21:53 : Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)
    21:56 : The Human League - Don't You Want Me
    22:00 : Queen - I Want To Break Free
    22:05 : Depeche Mode - Just Can't Get Enough
    *22:08 : The Cult - The Cult - She Sells Sanctuar
    22:12 : Lionel Richie - Dancing On The Ceiling
    22:16 : Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al
    22:21 : Eddie Grant - Give Me Hope Joanna
    22:26 : Los Lobos - La Bamba
    22:28 : Rod Stewart - Baby Jane
    *22:33 : Madonna - Material Girl
    *22:36 : Robert Palmer - Addicted to Love
    22:40 : Waterboys - Whole Of The Moon
    22:45 : Big Country - In A Big Country
    *22:48 : Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
    22:53 : Culture Club - Karma Chameleon
    22:57 : Kenny Loggins - Footloose
    23:00 : Jimmy Somerville and the Communards - Don't Leave Me This Way
    23:03 : New Order - Blue Monday '88
    *23:08 : Soft Cell - Tainted Love
    *23:11 : Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up
    23:13 : Toto - Africa
    23:19 : Wham - I'm Your Man
    23:23 : Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark
    23:26 : Survivor - Eye of the Tiger
    23:28 : Rick Springfield - Jessie's Girl
    23:31 : Bon Jovi - Livin' On A Prayer
    23:35 : Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come On Eileen
    23:39 : The Proclaimers - I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)

It was a brilliant night and it took about 20 minutes for me to get away to change into my strike gear because of the amount of people asking for photos and wanting to have a blether. An ex teaching colleague obviously didn't make it down the front but I was pleasantly surprised to see her FB update on Saturday morning telling all and sundry what an awesome time she was having at the VW festival and how good the 80s DJ had been the night before

Only downside was I took the wife out on Saturday and every 20 minutes or so I'd be like

- I forgot to play Talking Heads

- I can't believe I didn't do Tarzan Boy

etc...

Wee video from the gig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=YOwsSUhWz3o

Time lapse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pkTvjsF5sM
    Last edited by Excalibur; 28-05-2018 at 02:21 PM. Reason: merged posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    BIG festival as it turns out. 600-1,000 odd people in the tent.
    Just out of interest, what PA did you use for the gig? It looks like just a pair of 15" active Yamaha's to me, (may be mistaken) Did this pair of speakers really cope with the large crowd in the tent on their own, or did you have additional PA to the one that can be seen in your video?
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Default They'll remember it for the wrong reasons unfortunately

This one's a real tale of woe...and thankfully not of my doing.

Tonight's wedding then, a regular haunt where things either go really well, or really badly. This one did both at the same time.

Very shy couple who I'd not met before the day, but I already knew that she was photosensitive epileptic - no problem, I have light-shows programmed for that (although I'm always nervous). There was also to be no first dance. In this particular venue when this happens, there's no "warm up" music as guests arrive (and there were no additional evening guests for this one), it's straight into full-on party mode - from nought to sixty in the time it takes the venue to whip the dividing curtain back between the dance marquee and the dining room.

Got set up in plenty of time. No sound! OK - mis-wired the Maui's....phew.
    Party started, two songs in the LOVE letters stop responding to DMX. The wireless receivers are flashing, just absolutely no control. Never mind, plug in an XLR....nope...not happening. Oh c**p.

Luckily the DMX decoders I fitted to them allow for a slow auto-fade type program so a quick dip switch change and they're working again (another job to add to the list).

Now the venue and the Tog were sceptical as to how this one was going to pan out. Not the most lively of guests during a very long and hot day apparently. My heart sank - when this venue tell you it's not going to be lively....they're not normally wrong....until tonight

For the first 2 hours I could have stood and played fairground organ music - they'd have danced to it. I couldn't put a foot wrong....it's going to be a good one after all. In fact I was worried I was going to peak way to soon and run out of bangers for later in the evening.

And then as if by magic, they disappear. WTF????

Turns out the groom is outside suffering the effects of a diabetic hypo, and not in a good way

To coincide with this and to keep things as "normal" as possible, the venue then served the evening buffet. Dead floor then

A paramedic is duly summonsed and eventually when he realised he wasn't doing much to alleviate the symptoms, an ambulance. Poor bride and groom are carted off the the metropolis of Cambridge for further treatment and what was looking to be an overnight stay - not the ideal way to start married life together.

The guests unfortunately (or those local to the venue) saw this as their opportunity to say their goodbyes and head for home. It's only 10pm! . I was down to a dozen or so who weren't really in the mood for dancing anymore. Unfortunately with this venue, they have wedding guests paying them very good money to stay overnight, so it's not an early bath.

So....struggle through to 11:30 and then three of by then remaining 6 guests decide they want to dance to anything and everything by Fleetwood Mac. Having already started to pack down the less noticeable stuff, I was worried they were going to be the sort that wanted to go and go and go. Thankfully 10 minutes before time they said their farewells and it's home time.

So, the first couple of hours were brilliant and had the poor groom not made an untimely exit, I feel this one would have been an absolute blinder of a night. Sadly, circumstances dictated otherwise.

Time for a quick beer now whilst I reflect on events, then off up the A1 to find a tart in Bakewell for the rest of the week

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    Just out of interest, what PA did you use for the gig? It looks like just a pair of 15" active Yamaha's to me, (may be mistaken) Did this pair of speakers really cope with the large crowd in the tent on their own, or did you have additional PA to the one that can be seen in your video?
    I'm not even sure what they were but they weren't even Yamaha's - there were some qtx bags lying around and they were actually 12 inches!

I had quoted for hiring in a friend with a Nexo system once I heard the numbers but they assured me the bands PA would be suitable - I was expecting a pair of 18 inch subs and 15 inch tops at least.

To be fair they were pretty loud - certainly down the front you could hear them and way up at the bar it was at background levels but the quality of sound wasn't up to much - next to no bass (and I'm not a bassy fan in the first place) and they did clip a lot near the end of the night when I ramped the volume up a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I was expecting a pair of 18 inch subs and 15 inch tops at least.
    I'm amazed a pair of 12" active's coped with that crowd without self destructing I would also have been expecting a decent pair of 18" subs and 15" tops at the very least. Having said that, the guests appear to be happy with the sound and were up dancing and at the end of the day, that's what really matters. Well done!
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Default Grumpy mode re-engaged.

As a result of me being my usual stunning self ( I used to be conceited, but now I'm perfect ), a filler gig at a pub has seen me designated first choice disco.

I'm not ecstatic about this, for various reasons, some of which will be told here, and others which won't. Anyhoo, last night saw me back there, and the striking point was the lack of punters, early doors. Nevertheless, with a goodly amount of requests, I was not doing too badly, although watching the clock like a hawk.

Now as the clock crawled round past 11pm, punters numbers began to increase, so much so that it was very busy, and I get the impression this is the late watering hole for the town, and believe me, some of the guests were well and truly watered. So much so, that when the witching hour arrived, and I refused to play " one more, one more ", I was a of the highest order, according to some of them. Ah well.

It didn't get a lot better, when a fight broke out between some " young ladies ", as I was packing up. That didn't endear the place to me a great deal more, I can say.

Fortunately, I have high hopes of today's wedding, at a lovely boutique pub I've done before, for a lovely second time round couple.

Track list below, really really fancy this one.

December '63 Frankie Valli
    Baby I love your way Will to Power
    My eyes adored you Four seasons
    You really got me Kinks

In the ghetto Elvis Presley
    Come back my love Darts
    Johnny B Goode Chuck Berry.
    Wildfire Bob Seger.
    Eagles
    Natural Woman Carole King
    Beach Boys
    Get it on T REX